Surpise at the doc's office

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Surpise at the doc's office

Postby RLS59 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:29 pm

LePetomane wrote:I don't like this crap at all. This has no place in the practice of medicine. I don't like the fact that doctors are expected to run every aspect of our lives. Some are expected to ask about guns, ammo, smoking, bicycle helmets, seat belts, etc. instead of detecting and treating diseases. I have a friend who needs to lose about 100 pounds. He went to the Mayo for his check up. They told him he had pre-diabetes, pre-heart disease, pre-elevated cholesterol and he left with 4 new prescriptions. Never did they tell him to lose weight. He thinks they are wonderful. It seems that patient satisfaction is becoming more important than outcome.

Big Brother is watching and he will do it through your medical record and doctor.

I wasn't there so I can't say...but being a Mayo pt. for 50 some years I have a hard time believing NOTHING was said about exercise, diet modifications. May have been said but was he "hearing" it. :lalala:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne (The Shootist)
RLS59

Postby Hmac on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm

crbutler wrote:
And yes, the medical profession has become way too concerned with "patient satisfaction" and it is becoming something that reimbursement is based off of. This is not a good thing.

With the death of private practice, most physicians are employed. Patient satisfaction survey is a common business tool that is widely applied to doctors these days and in many/most cases their jobs depend, at least in some part, on those scores. Most patients know nothing of what constitutes good medical practice, but judge their doctors by whether they were prescribed antibiotics, or pain medication. And patients often don't like it when their doctor disagrees with their own self-diagnosis, especially after they did all that hard work researching their symptoms on the Internet.
Hmac

Postby Lumpy on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:43 pm

LePetomane wrote:I don't like this crap at all. This has no place in the practice of medicine. I don't like the fact that doctors are expected to run every aspect of our lives. Some are expected to ask about guns, ammo, smoking, bicycle helmets, seat belts, etc. instead of detecting and treating diseases.

Big Brother is watching and he will do it through your medical record and doctor.

Hence the furor over Obamacare: the price of dependency is obedience.
Lumpy

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Obamacare has a component called the "Stars System" which ranks the physician on a number of criteria including treatment effectiveness, patient satisfaction, focus on cost effective treatment. The health insurers and the health care providers are paid from the government commensurate with the number of Stars in their rating. Example would be 100% of contract defined reimbursement for a 4 star provider while a 2 star may only earn 50%. Obviously its designed to reward successful and effective operators and eliminate or discourage the poor operators.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Hmac on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:18 pm

I donT know what you're talking about. The "Star" system applies only to Medicare Advantage plans. It doesn't penalize, it rewards some primary care specialities if their system rates three or more stars based on several quality measures. I've yet to hear of a primary care doctor whose reimbursement has been affected.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:53 pm

LePetomane wrote:I don't like this crap at all. This has no place in the practice of medicine. I don't like the fact that doctors are expected to run every aspect of our lives. Some are expected to ask about guns, ammo, smoking, bicycle helmets, seat belts, etc. instead of detecting and treating diseases. I have a friend who needs to lose about 100 pounds. He went to the Mayo for his check up. They told him he had pre-diabetes, pre-heart disease, pre-elevated cholesterol and he left with 4 new prescriptions. Never did they tell him to lose weight. He thinks they are wonderful. It seems that patient satisfaction is becoming more important than outcome.

You should tell your friend to start reading about and doing the ketogenic diet. Most doctors don't understand it and will say it's wrong but the health benefits are significant.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:35 pm

What's to understand? The ketogenic diet has been around for almost a century. Its benefits are rather narrow in scope and limited to a few neurological disorders. Like all diets, it's not sustainable. Might as well just do the Atkins diet.
Hmac

Postby LePetomane on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Ghost wrote:

You should tell your friend to start reading about and doing the ketogenic diet. Most doctors don't understand it and will say it's wrong but the health benefits are significant.

I don't drink alcohol or eat sweets and do not have a weight issue. Having a stress free job doesn't hurt either.

Better yet. I told him to get off his lazy butt and start running with me. And quit the beer and cigarettes and carbs. I'm back and forth between here and my western HQ so it is hard to drag him out but I am trying my best.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Hmac on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:32 pm

What's to understand? The ketogenic diet has been around for almost a century. Its benefits are rather narrow in scope and limited to a few neurological disorders. Like all diets, it's not sustainable. Might as well just do the Atkins diet.
Hmac

Postby LePetomane on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Do you need to be in ketosis to burn fat or does burning fat put you in ketosis?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:53 am

LePetomane wrote:Do you need to be in ketosis to burn fat or does burning fat put you in ketosis?

Depleted carbohydrate stores force the body to burn fat, the result of which is ketosis.
Hmac

Postby jdege on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:19 am

LePetomane wrote:Do you need to be in ketosis to burn fat or does burning fat put you in ketosis?

The body is always burning fat, and always burning carbs, and always burning ketones. What differs are the relative rates.
jdege

Postby jdege on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:42 am

Hmac wrote:

Depleted carbohydrate stores force the body to burn fat, the result of which is ketosis.

I'd put it the other way - excess carbohydrates forces the body to burn glucose. Dietary carbohydrates raise serum glucose, which raises insulin levels, which signals the body to burn glucose and to stop burning fat, because high glucose levels are toxic.

Burning fat is cleaner - causes less oxidative stress and fewer free radicals, per unit of energy. It's the normal state. Even cultures that eat diets that are primarily carbohydrate spend most of their day burning fat - because that's what a healthy body does, between meals.

You primarily burn glucose, rather than fat, only when your insulin levels are elevated, which in a healthy person is only for an hour or so after eating carbs. After that, your insulin levels normalize and you return to primarily burning fat.

Unless, of course, you're eating carbs every two hours, or you've messed up your metabolism by eating carbs every two hours for so long that you no longer transition into fat burning as easily as you should.
jdege

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:07 am

jdege wrote:
Hmac wrote:

I'd put it the other way - excess carbohydrates forces the body to burn glucose. Dietary carbohydrates raise serum glucose, which raises insulin levels, which signals the body to burn glucose and to stop burning fat, because high glucose levels are toxic.

No, glucose is the default energy source. The body shifts to fat-burning only after the liver is depleted of glycogen.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:11 am

Hmac wrote:What's to understand? The ketogenic diet has been around for almost a century. Its benefits are rather narrow in scope and limited to a few neurological disorders. Like all diets, it's not sustainable. Might as well just do the Atkins diet.

It's very sustainable, easy and has shown benefits from epilepsy to Alzheimer's to cancer.

It goes against everything you've heard in the last 50 years so most people disagree with it.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat