A bit of a Curfuffle...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: A bit of a Curfuffle...

Postby george on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:18 am

When you get your permit and she notices what a nice person you are when your carrying, she will request you carry more often.
When you get a permit and carry in public, many people need to change there attitude a bit ( being nice ) and she will notice that.
Mine kinda knew what she was getting in to because I've had guns around and on me for ever, ( before permits were required, pre 1975 ) .
Good luck, It will work out in a little time, other wise remind her of compromises "Like I haven't heard that" and this is is one of hers.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Dante on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am

My girlfriend was a little hesitant when I told her that I carried. She had some experience shooting rifles when she was younger and expressed interest in shooting pistols as she had never done so, so we've hit the range a couple of times now and while she is still a bit uncomfortable shooting them, she did enjoy it and wants to shoot more.

The one thing that she told me afterwards that helped her the most was me explaining how each type of gun worked (how to check if it is loaded, how to load/unload, etc) prior to each of our range trips. Once we got to the range I would do a quick review prior to shooting each gun.

I think the best suggestions here so far are finding a way to get her some instruction with other women and not you. Their is a dynamic in most couples when it comes to teaching one another that is difficult to overcome, and of course that depends on the two people involved.

Good luck!!!
Dante

Postby tman on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am

All of the logical arguments in the world won't change her mind.

But there IS hope.

My wife was uncomfortable around guns forever. She didn't understand how they worked, and was worried about safety. SHE decided, on her own, that she needed to get more comfortable, since she understood the reality of having guns in the house.

She took a "firearms safety for women" class, in which she got to shoot all kinds of different types of firearms. Rifles, shotguns, revolvers, semi-autos...

She now carries occasionally. She deer hunts.

My point is that it has to be on her terms and timeline; not yours.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 am

I suppose divorice is not an option?

Just asking the obvious :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby Heffay on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:57 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I suppose divorice is not an option?

Just asking the obvious :twisted:

Pfft... noone should get married before they turn 30 anyway.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Kokeba07 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:13 pm

So after a little more talking. It sounds like her main concern is saftey. she feels like a situation could become esccalated that wouldnt need to be esscalated. i might be fighting a loosing battle here. She actually said to me if someone was carjacking us you should just give him the car. :o :shock: :o :shock: :o She also knew a few people in her hometown that killed themselves with guns. so she feels that its not a matter of if our eventuall kids find it. its a matter of when they find it. i tried to turn that into a point of thats why i need to carry all the time so i know where the gun is. then she pulled the well what if you fall asleep on the couch during a football game card.
Kokeba07

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Kokeba07 wrote:So after a little more talking. It sounds like her main concern is saftey. she feels like a situation could become esccalated that wouldnt need to be esscalated. i might be fighting a loosing battle here. She actually said to me if someone was carjacking us you should just give him the car. :o :shock: :o :shock: :o She also knew a few people in her hometown that killed themselves with guns. so she feels that its not a matter of if our eventuall kids find it. its a matter of when they find it. i tried to turn that into a point of thats why i need to carry all the time so i know where the gun is. then she pulled the well what if you fall asleep on the couch during a football game card.

Well, it's progress that she's defining some issues, most are reasonable.

If someone wants my car, it's theirs. It's either insured, or worth less than what the lawyer bill would be.
a few people in her hometown that killed themselves with guns

accidents, or suicides? accidents are preventable. Discussing the suicide of someone is touchy.
Safety,etc: Again, if she'd take a women's class, or even read a woman's perspective, she'd develop some understanding and comfort.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Heffay on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 pm

xd ED wrote:Well, it's progress that she's defining some issues, most are reasonable.

No, I think you're missing it. It doesn't matter what she says. She's opposed to it. If you argue the reasons, the void will be filled with new reasons until she gets really pissed and says "FINE. You can carry if you want." And then you've lost.

He can't win this battle. It has to be won through surrogates.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Thunderjohn on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:34 pm

Have her watch the news and read the paper and pay attention to the helpless people
that are getting beat up, stabbed, raped, etc. because they were defenseless.

Not knowing you, or if you'd be able to defend you and her,
I'd suggest to her that you aren't Superman and like it or not,
you may not always be able to defend her.

Our wives and kids sometimes like to think we're the toughest guy
out there. My wife realized that I wasn't a long time ago and she feels
much safer knowing that I at least have the capability of doing something to protect us.

It doesn't matter where you live, shop or work. (Well, it does sorta) There are bad guys out there.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:39 pm

As others stated, I don't think anything will be won with arguing logic and reason. It's an emotional issue that only she will ultimately resolve. Possibly setting up some useful exposure that will present solutions to, or dissolve her fears will help, assuming she is open to at least exploring the possibilities.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 pm

http://gunssavelives.net/

Just browse the first page of this site.

Also Oleg Volk has a forum....gun rights media

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/index.php

plenty of resources out there.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby Thunderjohn on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 pm

tman wrote:All of the logical arguments in the world won't change her mind.

But there IS hope.

My wife was uncomfortable around guns forever. She didn't understand how they worked, and was worried about safety. SHE decided, on her own, that she needed to get more comfortable, since she understood the reality of having guns in the house.

She took a "firearms safety for women" class, in which she got to shoot all kinds of different types of firearms. Rifles, shotguns, revolvers, semi-autos...

She now carries occasionally. She deer hunts.

My point is that it has to be on her terms and timeline; not yours.

+1
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby Kokeba07 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:55 pm

Thunderjohn wrote:Have her watch the news and read the paper and pay attention to the helpless people
that are getting beat up, stabbed, raped, etc. because they were defenseless.

Not knowing you, or if you'd be able to defend you and her,
I'd suggest to her that you aren't Superman and like it or not,
you may not always be able to defend her.

Our wives and kids sometimes like to think we're the toughest guy
out there. My wife realized that I wasn't a long time ago and she feels
much safer knowing that I at least have the capability of doing something to protect us.

It doesn't matter where you live, shop or work. (Well, it does sorta) There are bad guys out there.

Unfortunatley i have joked around about nobody messing with me in the past when we first started dating 2 years ago because im a large individual 6'8" 345 and keep myself in decent shape from playin college football and just finishing semi pro football. but the more i think about it the more i realize im not superman and sure would like an ace in the hole if my size alone isnt enough to give some a second thought.
Kokeba07

Postby Heffay on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Kokeba07 wrote:Unfortunatley i have joked around about nobody messing with me in the past when we first started dating 2 years ago because im a large individual 6'8" 345 and keep myself in decent shape from playin college football and just finishing semi pro football. but the more i think about it the more i realize im not superman and sure would like an ace in the hole if my size alone isnt enough to give some a second thought.

Your only hope is that she forgets a short sighted comment you made long ago in the past.

Yeah, you're boned. ;-)
Heffay

Postby acerpower on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 pm

This is why I never asked my wife if it was okay to buy a handgun, or carry one.
I find it much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. ;)
In the end she gets over it, and I got what I wanted. :D
But in all seriousness, I started by carrying a smaller frame, pocket sized gun and she never knew I was carrying it most of the time.
Over time she realized that I wasn't going to accidentally shoot myself, or anything else and she now accepts the fact that I'm always armed.

I wish I could get her to start carrying, or even shooting a handgun, but that's not an option right now. I'm happy I got her to plink with my .22lr in the yard a handful of times.
acerpower

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat