Dealings with police

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Dealings with police

Postby jgalt on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:09 pm

The stories I've heard told here and on other local forums (where the permit & ID are handed to the officer together) break down this way:

* the vast majority of those outside of Hennepin county, no hassle
* a much larger % - though still not a majority - of those inside Hennepin county, some type of hassle

This is all anecdotal of course, and proof of absolutely nothing - take it for what it is worth...
jgalt

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Heffay wrote:Man, you guys sure do get pulled over a lot. Have you ever tried not speeding around cops?

That don't matter - They'll nail you for a head light... Or tail light... Or one of the two license plate lights... Or a 'flashing' headlight on a bumpy road... Or braking when you see them... MN plates that look like TX plates in IA... Or sitting in a parking lot on your computer... Etc...
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby Shipyard on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 pm

A lot of good info in this thread. Good job guys.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Paul on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:24 pm

AFTERMATH wrote:That don't matter - They'll nail you for a head light... Or tail light... Or one of the two license plate lights... Or a 'flashing' headlight on a bumpy road... Or braking when you see them... MN plates that look like TX plates in IA... Or sitting in a parking lot on your computer... Etc...

I've found that driving a properly maintained vehicle solves several of those issues.
Paul

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Paul wrote:
AFTERMATH wrote:That don't matter - They'll nail you for a head light... Or tail light... Or one of the two license plate lights... Or a 'flashing' headlight on a bumpy road... Or braking when you see them... MN plates that look like TX plates in IA... Or sitting in a parking lot on your computer... Etc...

I've found that driving a properly maintained vehicle solves several of those issues.

:D Hmmm... You make an interesting point.

Seriously though, I do understand the headlights, taillights and brake lights - They have safety implications and I replace them as soon as I know they're bad. The problem is, you never know when they go out. In the case of the headlight(the latest), I know it was working earlier that evening. "Ok, thank you officer!" [Don't know why he took 20 minutes to run my ID, but...]
It's the license plate light that gets to me though. No one has offered a good reason why an otherwise law abiding citizen should need to have a lighted license plate. Guess I'm guilty of driving after 22:00. :?
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby tazdevil on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:06 pm

AFTERMATH wrote:
Paul wrote:

:D Hmmm... You make an interesting point.

Seriously though, I do understand the headlights, taillights and brake lights - They have safety implications and I replace them as soon as I know they're bad. The problem is, you never know when they go out. In the case of the headlight(the latest), I know it was working earlier that evening. "Ok, thank you officer!" [Don't know why he took 20 minutes to run my ID, but...]
It's the license plate light that gets to me though. No one has offered a good reason why an otherwise law abiding citizen should need to have a lighted license plate. Guess I'm guilty of driving after 22:00. :?

It gets dark at about 1630 right now..just sayin'
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Punisher102 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 pm

See guys this is why I posted the original question (granted not enough info) as I have heard many many stories of traffic stops and none have ever said that they weren't carrying but the police upon learning of a permit had their car searched..

Why would an officer search a car (supposedly for a gun) if the driver has a permit? It makes no sense. It would make no difference if there was a gun in the car, he has a permit...
Punisher102

Postby farmerj on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:10 pm

where did I say after a state patrol officer SAW a pistol with a magazine in the grip, openly in plain sight ON my front seat searched my car?

He didn't. He asked if I had a permit, was shown and I was told to slow it down and have a nice day.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby unit44justin on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 am

farmerj wrote:where did I say after a state patrol officer SAW a pistol with a magazine in the grip, openly in plain sight ON my front seat searched my car?

He didn't. He asked if I had a permit, was shown and I was told to slow it down and have a nice day.

I don't think his comment was directed at your post. It was a general inquire to try and get more info on the topic.
unit44justin

Postby farmerj on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 am

I know his post was not "directed AT" me. It was directed at the entire thread as a troll would.
Last edited by farmerj on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby unit44justin on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:25 pm

farmerj wrote:I know his post was "directed AT" me. It was directed at the entire thread as a troll would.

You're right the world is out to get you....
unit44justin

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat