armor plate carriers

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: armor plate carriers

Postby mecra on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:25 am

farmerj wrote:Go try strapping a pair of 25 lb weights front and back. Then add in your webgear with another five 5# weights in it, Pick up a weapon and then go for a 5 mile walk.
And for even more fun, put on a 5 lb weight on your motorcycle helmet and a 70 lb backpack
Let us know how you enjoy it.

And your response is pretty much why only Unastamus should respond in this thread. He's the only one providing non-sarcastic and useful info and thoughts.
mecra

Postby mecra on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:28 am

UnaStamus wrote:Which carrier you get is going to determine which mag system will work best. Personally, I prefer a 4 mag wide system. Reason being is that I don't like stacking my magazines. I run single-stack mag shingles across the front. My main vest holds a total of 5 mags across the front. I took one space out to hold a CAT TQ.
I don't think people appreciate how bulky stacked magazines are. When you have to move around and get in and out of vehicles, having everything as close to the body as possible is ideal. Because of this, I prefer to only carry one row of gear, and because of that I like to have a 4 mag wide setup, or more.
Part of the problem is that using double and triple mag pouches can be problematic. If you have individual magazine retention features in a double or triple mag pouch, it's not an issue. However, most do not have individual mag retention. What this means is that when a magazine is removed from the pouch, the other mag(s) will flop around, and possibly spill out during movement. Some pouches collapse using elastic, but then they are very difficult to reload under stress should you need to back-fill that magazine pouch.
I have seen a lot of people have problems with double or triple mag pouches where a single pouch holds two or three mags. I much rather prefer to have single mag pouches with PALS/MOLLE webbing on the front so that you can add another row on top if you need to. This way you maintain individual magazine retention.
All of it boils down to how you can make it work, and how you need to make it work. If your carrier is wide enough opt to have more mags on the width, not the depth.

This is good info and thinking. I've noticed that with double stack mag pouches. If I may ask, what brand of PCs do you use? I looked at a Banshee, but people complained that the shoulder straps get in the way of shouldering a rifle. The Mayflower doesn't seem to have this problem though. ar500 has a few pcs that could have the same issue as the banshee and the same cure as the mayflower. (and for significantly cheaper prices, but then one needs to question quality) I'll have to look to see if a quad mag holder has the necessary spacing so that a 6 molee mount wide carrier can hold it. (Or if it needs 8 mounts)
mecra

Postby forcefed on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:34 pm

mecra wrote:This is good info and thinking. I've noticed that with double stack mag pouches. If I may ask, what brand of PCs do you use? I looked at a Banshee, but people complained that the shoulder straps get in the way of shouldering a rifle. The Mayflower doesn't seem to have this problem though. ar500 has a few pcs that could have the same issue as the banshee and the same cure as the mayflower. (and for significantly cheaper prices, but then one needs to question quality) I'll have to look to see if a quad mag holder has the necessary spacing so that a 6 molee mount wide carrier can hold it. (Or if it needs 8 mounts)

Mayflower makes some really nice stuff. You are more than welcome to take a look at mine/try it on. Very light and excellent craftsmanship.

I however do not have plates for it.
forcefed

Postby farmerj on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:31 pm

mecra wrote:
farmerj wrote:Go try strapping a pair of 25 lb weights front and back. Then add in your webgear with another five 5# weights in it, Pick up a weapon and then go for a 5 mile walk.
And for even more fun, put on a 5 lb weight on your motorcycle helmet and a 70 lb backpack

And your response is pretty much why only Unastamus should respond in this thread. He's the only one providing non-sarcastic and useful info and thoughts.

Because what you're asking for is pretty unrealistic in usability.

Spoken from experience not a wannabe.

You've been told ar500 is going to be heavy and bulky yet you still think its an option.

But hey, you know better. So knock yourself out.

Just suggested you try a cheaper setup before you waslste $1000 o. Something you'll watch laying in the corner unusable because its too **** heavy.

Eta:...

Any carrier that puts you ammo directly in your front needs to be a reconsideration. I don't care if its got one, two or three mags in it. As soon. As you plop on your belly, you mags are now between you and the ground getting smashed. And when crap starts flying overhead, you won't be able to suck yourself to the ground fast enough or low enough.

Any magazine that goes into the pouch has to come out in a timely and usable fashion. Put in right side up, its a bitch getting g them out with nothing to grab. Then put on your super hsld nomex bitchin glove and it o my makes life more interesting. So then you go find all them hsld magpul rubber loops only to find d your fancy two-mag pouch can now only accept one mag because the loops are too bulky and the pouches too tight.
Last edited by farmerj on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby bensdad on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 pm

mecra wrote:

His post was distracting and sarcastic. Nevertheless, he makes a good point. If we aren't training with our loadout and configuration, we're setting ourselves up for pretty catastrophic failure.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 pm

I run Mayflower right now, but I'm debating getting a FirstSpear for their TUBES technology. I may just do a conversion for my Mayflower. TUBES is a quick-release system for the vest so you can don and doff it quickly. It should be noted that I use a full armor system, to include soft armor. I have been considering a stand-alone PC, but haven't made any commitments yet.

All of my gear is stuff sold by SKD Tactical or F3 Tactical. They don't carry junk brands.

One thing to know is to steer clear of Blackhawk and Eagle. Eagle is owned by ATK, which also owns Blackhawk. Both are now crap. For those that have been in the "tactical game" long enough, you are likely familiar with Eagle Industries. Eagle is the "O.G." of modern tactical pouches and bags, and they made some outstanding stuff. ATK destroyed that company shortly after they bought them.

As for the weight issue, it's dependent upon each person. I have access to both Level IV ceramic and Level III steel plates, and the weight difference between the two is about 3lbs for a whole front-back system. With ceramic, you need to spend upwards of $1k to get the really lightweight ceramic plates. The inexpensive $200-400 plates are going to be nearly as heavy as steel plates.

And yes, you do need to be able to move and train in them, and should. If anyone hear listens to Ballistic Radio podcast, or reads the site, you'll know that the host John Johnston had this same issue when he had to buy a PC and plates for a shoothouse course. He's an average earth guy. He went hiking around at night to get used to wearing it. It helped immensely.
Physical make-up is a major factor as well. Some people are not weight sensitive, some are. I'm not, but I also spend a fair bit of my free time in the gym. Some people don't, so this is something that may affect weight sensitivity.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby mecra on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 am

bensdad wrote:
mecra wrote:

His post was distracting and sarcastic. Nevertheless, he makes a good point. If we aren't training with our loadout and configuration, we're setting ourselves up for pretty catastrophic failure.

There were numerous ways he could have posted that same info in a more informative and less condescending view. Of course weight is an issue. Duh. :lol: You're wearing plates of hardened material. To start prepping, I've been attending kickboxing classes to get more in shape and get more used to fighting. I've been thinking about places around my house that I could wear gear and run around to get some more endurance. It's already been on my mind quite a bit as I have a vest that was my original plan. (I had to get used to that weight as well. But now I've been thinking that armor plates may be a serious consideration.) Maybe I just go with a front and back set and forgo sides. Maybe I just do Level IIIA just to have pistol protection at a fraction of the weight.

The point of this thread is to discuss these things, not snipe at people (based on some unverifiable experience.) for wanting to plan or participate in the thought experiment. You see people mimic'ing military experience all the time in other forums and threads. It's starting to get pretty easy to determine who actually speaks from experience and who doesn't.
mecra

Postby mecra on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 am

Because what you're asking for is pretty unrealistic in usability.
Spoken from experience not a wannabe.
You've been told ar500 is going to be heavy and bulky yet you still think its an option.
but hey, you know better. So knock yourself out.

Everything is an option until eliminated because of a better option at a price within someone's budget or a grand show of experience. Eliminating something simply because of someone's opinion is utterly stupid unless it's been done with a lot of research. You say you speaking from experience means absolutely nothing to me as it's completely unverifiable. I have to look at what you write to see if you're just a military wannabe or if you have real experience. Unistamus, while unverifiable, feels like he has experience from the tone in his posts and the information he's posted. You just posted sarcasm with already understood weight factors. Frankly, that negates your opinion as valid far more than just your statement of "Spoken from experience not a wannabe", whatever that means.

Just suggested you try a cheaper setup before you waslste $1000 o. Something you'll watch laying in the corner unusable because its too **** heavy.

Then suggest that without the sarcasm. Give me a real world example where you, in the miltary or the police force, had to deal with the weight and the challenges it presented. That's not hard to do, really. Also, your posts indicate that you haven't fully read what people and myself wrote in response to each other. Again, that eliminates part of any validity you had.

Any carrier that puts you ammo directly in your front needs to be a reconsideration. I don't care if its got one, two or three mags in it. As soon. As you plop on your belly, you mags are now between you and the ground getting smashed. And when crap starts flying overhead, you won't be able to suck yourself to the ground fast enough or low enough.

Any magazine that goes into the pouch has to come out in a timely and usable fashion. Put in right side up, its a bitch getting g them out with nothing to grab. Then put on your super hsld nomex bitchin glove and it o my makes life more interesting. So then you go find all them hsld magpul rubber loops only to find d your fancy two-mag pouch can now only accept one mag because the loops are too bulky and the pouches too tight.

Now this is good info. Unfortunately it's still tainted with some sarcasm, but instead of it being directed at a person, it's more directed at a product. This speaks more to experience than just an opinion. Assume less that people are complete idiots and offer more neutral information. I have plenty of military buddies I've been asking things of so I can validate things said on this forum extremely easily. Heck, right across from me is a guy who recently served in Afghanistan. I validated a number of things Uni said against him. I plan to validate some things you said against him as well. :D
mecra

Postby farmerj on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:04 am

My statement stands....

If you don't like HOW I stated it. Suck it up, drive on.

If you want me to post my resume for validation, that's an issue you'll have to take up with someone who cares. Because I don't.

mecra wrote:

Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

armor plate carriers

Postby Kaveman on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

On a separate note. I love the QR code farmerj.
Kaveman

Postby farmerj on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 am

Kaveman wrote:On a separate note. I love the QR code farmerj.

Thanks
Current moon phase
farmerj

armor plate carriers

Postby Spinner on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 am

If you don't already have a stockpile of TP, I'd spend the money there first. Just my $0.02 worth for SHTF scenarios.

Spinner
Spinner

Postby mecra on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:55 am

Spinner wrote:If you don't already have a stockpile of TP, I'd spend the money there first. Just my $0.02 worth for SHTF scenarios.
Spinner

Don't forget the feminine products if you have a GF or wife. Of which, I have both already. :) Best to stock up on supplies first, either a mobile set or static, and then work on other things like armor and the like. I bought a large toolbox like deal that I can fit in my car or wife's car. So I can drive off or it can stay where it is if I decide to stay put.
Last edited by mecra on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mecra

Postby mecra on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:02 am

farmerj wrote:My statement stands....
If you don't like HOW I stated it. Suck it up, drive on.
If you want me to post my resume for validation, that's an issue you'll have to take up with someone who cares. Because I don't.

Then you don't have any credentials. It's extremely easy to say, "I was in the military or police or I attended a week long..." Barring that rather simple response, you more than likely are just theorizing. (Mind you, not a bad thing, if you paint your opinions in that vein.) I really don't care either way. I was just trying to help you be less of one of "those" people who offer unsubstantiated advice or think that their sarcasm means validity for some reason. -shrug- I'm here for real info, not "my way or highway because I'm a jerk" info. :D
mecra

Postby farmerj on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 am

Goody for you.....

Once maybe you drapped a full load on, maybe you'd realize it's really from experience I told you to do it that way.

The description of "mall ninja" comes to mind now. Duflux and his cronies are on the forum as well. You remind me much of them. They like to play militia and think they know better than actual vets too.
Last edited by farmerj on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current moon phase
farmerj

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat