Surpise at the doc's office

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Surpise at the doc's office

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:42 am

Ghost wrote:It's very sustainable, easy and has shown benefits from epilepsy to Alzheimer's to cancer.

It goes against everything you've heard in the last 50 years so most people disagree with it.

Human nature makes the ketogenic diet, like any other diet, sustainable in about 2% of the population.

It doesn't go against anything I've heard or been taught in the last 50 years. It's well-known, well-understood, and very straightforward. It's just that the miraculous benefits you tout are limited in scope and applicability, and not particularly well-supported in the peer-reviewed medical literature.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:15 am

Hmac wrote:
Ghost wrote:It's very sustainable, easy and has shown benefits from epilepsy to Alzheimer's to cancer.

It goes against everything you've heard in the last 50 years so most people disagree with it.

Human nature makes the ketogenic diet, like any other diet, sustainable in about 2% of the population.

It doesn't go against anything I've heard or been taught in the last 50 years. It's well-known, well-understood, and very straightforward. It's just that the miraculous benefits you tout are limited in scope and applicability, and not particularly well-supported in the peer-reviewed medical literature.

So you've been taught that a body doesn't need carbohydrates, 80% fat intake is healthy and that the food pyramid is upside down. Good to know.

By miraculous I mean shedding unnecessary fat, getting people using cholesterol meds off of them, getting type 2 diabetics off of insulin/meds, lower blood pressure among other things.

Butter, eggs, meats, cheeses, green vegetables and lots of water it's not that hard.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:00 am

Ghost wrote:So you've been taught that a body doesn't need carbohydrates, 80% fat intake is healthy and that the food pyramid is upside down. Good to know.

The body will do fine with 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrate, but it's not sustainable for the vast majority of the population. Other than weight loss and some neurological conditions, however, there's not much demonstrable and widely supported value.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Can you explain why you think it's not sustainable?

People in the most remote places in the world eat this way and have for longer than we've been a carbohydrate eating society. But, I can still eat keto at McDonalds if I choose.

I can eat eggs fried in butter or scrambled with heavy cream and a bunch of bacon and not be hungry again for 2 days. Cheese smothered with kerrygold and wrapped in salami isn't exactly something people will struggle to consume.

The only problem with keto is having to buy all new clothes.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:58 pm

It is certainly physically and physiologically possible to sustain such a diet...it's just not emotionally possible.

The human will, especially in western culture, and most especially in the USA, is not capable, statistically demonstrated, of sustaining any kind of deprivation diet. Short run...sure. Many people have succeeded with the Atkins diet. For awhile. Very few succeed long term. Not a sustainable diet.
Last edited by Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Hmac wrote:The human will, especially in western culture, and most especially in the USA, is not capable, statistically demonstrated, of sustaining any kind of deprivation diet.

It is certainly physically and physiologically possible to sustain such a diet...it's just not emotionally possible.

I guess I'm in the 2% then. Too bad it could help a lot of people but I guess Twinkies will win out in the end; although I can still eat one every now and then.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Ghost wrote:I guess I'm in the 2% then.

Maybe. I hope you're right. Let's see how you're eating and how much you weigh in two years.
Hmac

Postby jdege on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Hmac wrote:No, glucose is the default energy source. The body shifts to fat-burning only after the liver is depleted of glycogen.

Glucose is the default energy source only in the modern, diabetic population.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz4FkF6Kf00
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/08/10/fat-not-glucose.aspx
jdege

Postby jdege on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Hmac wrote:It is certainly physically and physiologically possible to sustain such a diet...it's just not emotionally possible.

The human will, especially in western culture, and most especially in the USA, is not capable, statistically demonstrated, of sustaining any kind of deprivation diet. Short run...sure. Many people have succeeded with the Atkins diet. For awhile. Very few succeed long term. Not a sustainable diet.

Steak, eggs, bacon, cheese, steamed vegetables with melted butter is not a deprivation diet.

jdege

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:28 pm

jdege wrote:
Hmac wrote:It is certainly physically and physiologically possible to sustain such a diet...it's just not emotionally possible.

Steak, eggs, bacon, cheese, steamed vegetables with melted butter is not a deprivation diet.

2000 calories of that a day goes a lot further than 2000 calories of bread, cereal and sugary stuff.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 pm

jdege wrote:

Deprivation. Not sustainable.
Hmac

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat