JAKL Machine 80% Build Party

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby jshuberg on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:28 pm

I sent them an email on Fri for pricing per lower. No word back yet, and I was out sick today. There's a lecture I'm attending tomorrow morning, but I'll call them in the afternoon. I'll schedule it for beginning of next week, so we have some flexibility in coordinating picking them up. I'll PM everyone the details once I've got them.

Thanks for your patience on this.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Re: JAKL Machine 80% Build Party

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 pm

OK, so here's the scoop, the following people are having their lowers anodized:

jshuberg - 2
CarRacer - 2
bigscoop - 1

The company doing the anodizing is Hardcoat, inc. The lot charge for anodizing is $125, so the price will be $25 per lower. All lowers must have a serial number, so if you haven't had one added already, please do so. It can be located under the grip, as long as it's visible so they can log it in their book.

I'll take care of transporting them all to have the work done. I've confirmed that this is both legal and complies with all BATFE rules and regs. I'll be contacting both of you via PM with contact info so that we can coordinate picking the up and dropping them off.

Again, sorry it's taken me so long to get the ball rolling on these, but I got swamped for a couple weeks there after the build party.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby High_Cap on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:06 pm

So any pictures of finished one on rifles?
High_Cap

Postby Punisher102 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:12 pm

i have some pics of mine in progress, Cerakote Armor black two part bake on method.

Lets start with washed and blasted

painted

you can see that I messed up the lower,, the finish is uneven. So I rewashed and re-blasted it and repainted it. Its baking now so I have to wait to see how it will turn out.

EDIT: well that didnt turn out again,,, back to the blast booth. I have just enough "paint" left for one last attempt.
Punisher102

Postby High_Cap on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Lighter coats paint is too thick.

JMO
High_Cap

Postby Punisher102 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:26 am

yup, you hit the nail on the head...

its a quick fix.
Punisher102

Postby High_Cap on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:27 am

I used to be the duracoater for Bill's. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
High_Cap

Postby Punisher102 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Well reblasted and painted it AGAIN!! ARRRGGGGGGG

no more paint left so this better work. I did notice that this went on like a powder, all even, no wet spots. So I am hoping for the best. Ill post a pic or two when I get it out of the oven and it cools..

EDIT:
Here ya go. Its all black. the light or white is man hide. The top and bottom match.

I took all the parts to a friends house and assembled it. Everything went together with no problems. BUT things are TIGHT!!! gonna take some break in time with this puppy.

Last edited by Punisher102 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punisher102

Postby High_Cap on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 am

So now next question how much did these cost people and are you doing another build party??
High_Cap

Postby Punisher102 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:22 pm

What did mine cost? I dont know,
the paperweight + machining + Cerkote ball park I would say $200
Punisher102

Postby High_Cap on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Just the paperweight and machining.

I was looking at maybe next go round doing a few of these.
High_Cap

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm

jshuberg wrote:The company doing the anodizing is Hardcoat, inc. The lot charge for anodizing is $125, so the price will be $25 per lower. All lowers must have a serial number, so if you haven't had one added already, please do so. It can be located under the grip, as long as it's visible so they can log it in their book.

I understand I'm not involved but I'm curious how you come up with and add a serial number to a lower that wasn't processed in a Series? And I thought part of the point was to have a lower that wasn't registered somewhere?

Maybe that wasn't part of the point.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby CarRacer on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:08 pm

It wasn't the point for me. I just wanted to not have a lower with a dumb roll mark (I put my own dumb roll mark on) and get to be around a CNC machine for a couple hours.

I just put "00001" on each of my lowers. I was told it just needed a number, so that's what I put for one. I think a few others did as well.
CarRacer

Postby jshuberg on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:54 pm

You only need a serial number if you're going to have an FFL participate in the manufacturing process, like having it anodized. Which a few of us had done. I just picked them up, and they turned out fantastic! They even came with a mil spec certificate of compliance.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Punisher102 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:46 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
jshuberg wrote:The company doing the anodizing is Hardcoat, inc. The lot charge for anodizing is $125, so the price will be $25 per lower. All lowers must have a serial number, so if you haven't had one added already, please do so. It can be located under the grip, as long as it's visible so they can log it in their book.

I understand I'm not involved but I'm curious how you come up with and add a serial number to a lower that wasn't processed in a Series? And I thought part of the point was to have a lower that wasn't registered somewhere?

Maybe that wasn't part of the point.

That was kinda my point, Mine is void of all numbers, however it does have my name on it.
So should it become missing and recovered, I can still claim it as mine.
The whole need for a numbers is for FFL's. I couldnt participate in the anodizing process with these guys because I dont have a number.. Even tho there is not others with MY name on it.
Punisher102

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat