Minnesota Saturday Night Special Law

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Minnesota Saturday Night Special Law

Postby xd ED on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:51 pm

FJ540 wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Your challenge is not what the law says, liquidous and deformed are not the same.

My challenge doesn't meet the threshold of the law's melting point either. My oven is not a Binford 9000, it's just a 500F conventional 220v household unit we got out of a friends house when they upgraded. I'm confident, but open to being proven wrong - thus willing to purchase the specimen should it succeed. I did 4 credits of synthetic composites in college 15 years ago, so I'm no expert, but I am familiar with fiber reinforced nylon from the engineering side. I also did a short stretch at the performance films pilot plant at 3M, so I've seen how plastic is manipulated to achieve some rather impressive mechanical changes and was able to learn some stuff from those engineers I was working with too.

Sam's a damn smart dude, and I hope he realizes this challenge is meant as a friendly wager and not something to make him look bad. We're all students at some point, this one could be a lesson for all to benefit from.

I'm not sure where I'll be next week Donn, but it's hopeful I'll be making lunch.

When operating in the self-cleaning function, the air temp. in domestic ovens reach approx 950°F.
With any petrol-chem synthetic, I would be a bit concerned that any volatiles off-gassing might ignite.
At those temps even the oven's coatings can off gas to the point of being a hazard to small critters (learned that from a customer who owned parrots)
Also, self cleaning, due to the high temps, is hard on the oven's temperature sensors, and safety fuses.
I've came to the rescue of more than one panicked cook, who, a day or 2 before preparing a big holiday feast, decided to clean their oven...

other than that...party on!
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby FJ540 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:26 am

I've got an IR thermometer. It'd be a puddle at 500F is my guess, er, theory. :)
FJ540

Postby Russstra on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:14 pm

How about this. I own a company that thermal forms plastic aftermarket parts. Lol. So I know quite a bit about it.
Russstra

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Russstra wrote:How about this. I own a company that thermal forms plastic aftermarket parts. Lol. So I know quite a bit about it.

So you heat up sheets of plastic and vacuum form them to a mold. We did the same thing in a high school shop class 40 years ago, doesn't mean you know a darn thing about plastic chemistry.
mmcnx2

Postby FJ540 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:42 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:
Russstra wrote:How about this. I own a company that thermal forms plastic aftermarket parts. Lol. So I know quite a bit about it.

So you heat up sheets of plastic and vacuum form them to a mold. We did the same thing in a high school shop class 40 years ago, doesn't mean you know a darn thing about plastic chemistry.

You're not making yourself look smarter with that post. :lol:

Russ, what presses do you use?
FJ540

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:15 pm

I make Kydex holsters so I know more than you do!
Quit messing with this Troll - let him go live under his vacuum formed bridge, that he wants to protect with his $50.00 Saturday night special! :twisted:
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby FJ540 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:02 pm

Oh, but I've got a use for a guy with an injection moulding machine. :mrgreen:
FJ540

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:01 pm

:deadhorse:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby hard h2o on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Honest question and I just curious.

You own many fine firearms according to your testimony and you picture. I am going to assume that is true and correct.

Why would you look into purchasing the POS firearms that started this whole mess? I am disregarding even my own belief that you should have every right to own those firearms. They are firearms I would not trust my own life to. They are firearms that are not fun to shoot. They are not firearms I would show off or be proud to own. Please just indulge me. What was your reasoning behind those purchases?
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 pm

hard h2o wrote:Honest question and I just curious.

You own many fine firearms according to your testimony and you picture. I am going to assume that is true and correct.

Why would you look into purchasing the POS firearms that started this whole mess? I am disregarding even my own belief that you should have every right to own those firearms. They are firearms I would not trust my own life to. They are firearms that are not fun to shoot. They are not firearms I would show off or be proud to own. Please just indulge me. What was your reasoning behind those purchases?

No collection is complete without a SNS. I picked mine up from Shippy so I know it is authentic. :D

I have no issues with those wanting to own them and there are several modern functional guns of the .22 variety that get affected by this law. Heck if one can own a hi point why not a Jennings?

My understanding of the history of this law was not that they were concerned with the safety of these guns but that they wanted to disarm the inner city minority population. So as gun rights advocates we should we all for the repeal of this law.

My point is that the op is not looking to repeal this law at all. He/she/it wants to apply this law to a broader group of firearms. FJ has been completely duped into believing this is a way to get the law repealed. He is wrong. This is an effort by a gun control person or people to test this strategy as a way to ban ARs and glocks. Collectively known to the OP as assault weapons with scary features.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 pm

My Umarex/Walther Colt Gold Cup 22LR is arguably one of the most fun to shoot firearms I own, especially suppressed. It's definitely one of the most shot as I'll go through a brick or more in an outing. It shouldn't have been sold to me based on this law.
Ghost

Postby FJ540 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:40 am

I haven't read all the posts, or seen the past threads, as I really don't spend any appreciable time here since the fun was banned.

I've taken a few comments at face value, and applied my personal convictions about this and other stupid laws that shouldn't exist; and also challenged some beliefs about poly guns that I may have even been partly responsible for getting started (I know I've mentioned thermoset resins in the past).

But lets say Russ is a troll-anti, for the sake of argument... Is there anyone in our legislature willing to bear that cross, let alone enough to get a bill on Gov. Prozac's desk to sign?

Maybe the NRA would spend some money here if a canary started chirping.

I'm not worried either way.
FJ540

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:54 am

Maybe he is looking to have a "Throw Down Gun" :?: You know, a Just in Case a Situation arises... :secret: :wack:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ironbear on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:52 am

BigDog58 wrote:Maybe he is looking to have a "Throw Down Gun" :?: You know, a Just in Case a Situation arises... :secret: :wack:

Through an FFL!? Would be great if all criminals were that cooperative!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Russstra on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:56 pm

I bought 5 pos pistols in preparation for the next gun buyback. I got $500 at the last one. I don't understand why any of you think I'm anti gun. You must have never been on the bad side of a bad law. We vacuum form ABS. We don't do injection. How many oz shot are you looking to do?
Russstra

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat