Firearms Insurance

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Firearms Insurance

Postby RAGGED on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Well I am going to be changing some of my insurance policies around and I can save a bundle with a different company for Homeowners, the bad thing is they have a bit less coverage on firearms (theft only, fire is fully covered) than my current so I may be in need of some supplemental insurance.
So my question is what do you guys use, do you go with the NRA endorsed Armscare stuff? Also has anyone “activated” their “free” NRA Armscare coverage, they claim $2500 of Free coverage, I tried to find the fine print but I didn’t get to far into it, seems scam-ish, are they going to “auto enroll” me in some crap down the road? Does anyone know if there is a deductable on this “free” coverage?
Also does anyone happen to know if all this can work together, say you have $20k worth of guns, your insurance cover 5K, you and your wife are NRA members and get $2500 each bringing you to 10k, if you purchased and additional 10k from the NRA would everything be covered in the event someone took the whole damn safe?

So let’s hear it, what (if any) do you use, who’s the cheapest, the initial quote from Armscare is nuts, I would break even in less than 5 years.

Thanks, WR
RAGGED

Re: Firearms Insurance

Postby 1911fan on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Just ask your agent about increasing the coverage. My agent listed it as described personal property for about 17 dollars a year for fifteen grand insurance which is a blanket for stuff over the regular policy limits.
1911fan

Postby RAGGED on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:00 pm

1911fan wrote:Just ask your agent about increasing the coverage. My agent listed it as described personal property for about 17 dollars a year for fifteen grand insurance which is a blanket for stuff over the regular policy limits.

That's similar to what I had done in the past but is not available with the new company. To get them covered in full would cost a bit more, to the point I'm not sure it's worth paying for the extra over the regular policy limits.
RAGGED

Postby JJ on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 pm

RAGGED wrote:That's similar to what I had done in the past but is not avalible with the new company. To get them covered in full would cost a bit more, to the point I'm not sure it's worth paying for the extra over the regular policy limits.

I am in a similar situation. I think 10k is what my policy covers. I inquired about a ryder(sp?) and I would have doubled my stuff in a little over 10 years.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby hammAR on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Personally, I prefer to get a specific rider, we have two - one for firearms and one for jewelry...........
specifically covering ANY loss and stating full replacement value w/no deductible....it includes optics, accessories, and the safes.

Sometimes increasing the existing coverage on a regular HO insurance package is OK, but you want to be careful of the small print..(ex. fair market vs replacement)........then again there are companies out there that will not cover "guns", and as my BIL found out some that will cancel you if you do want to add "guns"...............

YMMV............
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:09 pm

hammAR wrote:Personally, I prefer to get a specific rider, we have two - one for firearms and one for jewelry...........
specifically covering ANY loss and stating full replacement value w/no deductible....it includes optics, accessories, and the safes.

This is what I do as well. Also, have one on higher end camera's. Cover's any loss of the item, theft, fire, dropped from a tree stand...
Holland&Holland

Postby hammAR on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
hammAR wrote:Personally, I prefer to get a specific rider, we have two - one for firearms and one for jewelry...........

This is what I do as well. Also, have one on higher end camera's. Cover's any loss of the item, theft, fire, dropped from a tree stand.......or a boat trip.

:P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby timwarner on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

HammAR, could you PM me your company? contact person as well, if possible.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:19 pm

hammAR wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

This is what I do as well. Also, have one on higher end camera's. Cover's any loss of the item, theft, fire, dropped from a tree stand.......or a boat trip.

:P

Especially boat trips! ;)

Honestly though I am certain that will be the type of loss I will be claiming, though on one of my wife's camera's not a gun. I can not remember how many times I hit the throttle and the next minute I am grabing for what ever she left on the dash...
Holland&Holland

Postby MNBlackjack on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:31 pm

timwarner wrote:HammAR, could you PM me your company? contact person as well, if possible.

I do the same thing with State Farm. Seperate personal artical policies for firearms and jewelry.
FFL
NRA - Lifetime Member
NSSF
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
- Ayn Rand
MNBlackjack

Postby solidgun on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm

MNBlackjack wrote:
timwarner wrote:HammAR, could you PM me your company? contact person as well, if possible.

I do the same thing with State Farm. Seperate personal artical policies for firearms and jewelry.

I really recommend State Farm for this coverage. I have had their insurance for close to 15 years now and I shop around from time to time and haven't found other companies match the coverage or price. I have a $50,000 policy with them for firearm and jewelry and with multiple policies and having been with them for so long really helps out in cost. However, I store my valuable collections elsewhere with fire/water/chemical corrosion protection.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Heffay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:11 pm

USAA. They ask "Ok, so how many guns would you like us to insure?"
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Heffay wrote:USAA. They ask "Ok, so how many guns would you like us to insure?"

And you can add new ones on-line with a couple clicks.
Holland&Holland

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Not to be a jerk but.... READ THE FINE PRINT OF YOUR POLICY and get it in writing!

Many agents will sell you a "blanket" but it excludes firearms over 5k or things like bullion and other such things. Many agents don't actually know what sort of items the insurance will actually cover...especially local State Farm agents who call into a regional office when they setup policies.

If you want to pay a lot of money and then have your house burn down or get robbed you'll find out the hard way what your insurance company really covers.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:Not to be a jerk but.... READ THE FINE PRINT OF YOUR POLICY and get it in writing!

Many agents will sell you a "blanket" but it excludes firearms over 5k or things like bullion and other such things. Many agents don't actually know what sort of items the insurance will actually cover...especially local State Farm agents who call into a regional office when they setup policies.

If you want to pay a lot of money and then have your house burn down or get robbed you'll find out the hard way what your insurance company really covers.

That is exactly why you should have a rider specific to each firearm.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to General Gun Chat