A bit of a Curfuffle...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

A bit of a Curfuffle...

Postby Kokeba07 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:34 pm

So after talking to my wonderful wife today, i realized we had a slight misunderstanding. When i mentioned wanting to get a gun and my PTC she just thought that it would be for home defense and using at the range. When i mentioned that i was planing on carrying it everywhere i legally could. She expressed a large displeasure with this and went as far as saying she wouldn't go places with me if i was carrying. Maybe the powder room would be a better place to post this i don't know. But just wondering if anybody else had to convince there S.O. that it was a good idea to exercise there 2nd amendment right. I mean i am hoping that going to the PTC class with me might change her mind. i also picked her up a copy of the Cornered Cat book talked about on another thread.
Kokeba07

Re: A bit of a Curfuffle...

Postby Heffay on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Kokeba07 wrote:So after talking to my wonderful wife today, i realized we had a slight misunderstanding. When i mentioned wanting to get a gun and my PTC she just thought that it would be for home defense and using at the range. When i mentioned that i was planing on carrying it everywhere i legally could. She expressed a large displeasure with this and went as far as saying she wouldn't go places with me if i was carrying. Maybe the powder room would be a better place to post this i don't know. But just wondering if anybody else had to convince there S.O. that it was a good idea to exercise there 2nd amendment right. I mean i am hoping that going to the PTC class with me might change her mind. i also picked her up a copy of the Cornered Cat book talked about on another thread.

You're going to try to convince your wife of something?

Good luck with that. You should keep your mouth shut, and have others work the issue for you.

Next thing you know you're going to ask us how to teach her to play golf. ;-)
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Kokeba07 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 pm

HA HA ok good point. :oops: A little new at the whole marriage thing still a little green 5 months and counting.
Kokeba07

Postby Grayskies on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:50 pm

My wife has a P2C and her own gun (been 9 years now). 8-)

(married for more than 14 years)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Have her check in here and ask the gals any questions she might have.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby jshuberg on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Honestly, the best thing you can do is find a friend of hers that shoots, and talk them into inviting her to the range without you. I've taken a few of my buddies wives out to the range, just the two of us, and they've always really enjoyed it. If memory serves, every one of them mentioned that it was easier for them to not have their husband there adding pressure or making them nervous the first time they went shooting. Once she's gone shooting a few times and feels more comfortable with the idea, then ask if it's OK to join her.

If she doesn't have any friends you know of that shoot, ask her to go to a ladies only class (at Bill's or wherever the next one is being held). Since there is going to be a firearm in the house, she should be familiar with how to use it, and a ladies only class can help with the nerves of shooting for the first time. Drive her to the range, drop her off, and go run errands or something.

I don't think books or articles will have much effect, she needs to put a pistol in her hands and shoot it, in a setting that makes her feel the most comfortable.

Just my $0.02
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 pm

When my wife and I first stared dating, she didn't know I carried. When she found out, she didn't want me to carry in her house, or around her kids. I bought her a copy of the Cornered Cat book and invited her to the range frequently. Also, since spouses seem to be poor teachers for one another, I had the previlidge of having a friend teach her to shoot. Thanks Vlad!

Fast forward three years, she now is a better shot than most of the folks on the forum (that I've witnessed anyways) has her own gun and a PTC.

Personally, I wouldn't try to convince her of anything. Ask her to read the Cornered Cat, and go from there. Take her to the range a few times, and the most important thing (that I've found anyways) is to make sure she understands how the firearms work. Show her basic function of each firearm and how to unload them and safe the weapon. In my experience, that goes a long way in adding to the comfort level.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

A bit of a Curfuffle...

Postby xd ED on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:05 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Have her check in here and ask the gals any questions she might have.

/\/\/\ This, and suggest she check out the 'Cornered Cat' (sp?) website.
Is it simply a 'being around guns' thing, 'guns are for cops', or something more?
Good Luck.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rtk on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:08 pm

I have been married 30+ years and have had two " situations" where the wife looked at me like....Oh crap, I hope you got that thing on you!!!

Still married and will most likely live happily everafter! :twisted:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:09 pm

firstly, you shouldn't have to ASK your wife anything. if she has a problem with it, that's her issue, not really yours. i say this as a husband. when we have disputes around my house, they usually get settled pretty quickly because i know she is not me, and she knows that i am not her. we have common views on many things, but not on everything.

i keep her informed, as i think you should too, but don't let her make the decisions for you.

and there's two more pieces of advice given to me by my Captain in '03 before we blew the berm to Iraq:
"It's better to have your weapon and not need it, than need your weapon and not have it" -and- "it's better to stand trial by twelve than to be carried by six". i've lived my life since with those words ringing in my ears
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Kokeba07 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 pm

rtk wrote:I have been married 30+ years and have had two " situations" where the wife looked at me like....Oh crap, I hope you got that thing on you!!!

This is part of her argument she says she cant see a reason to carry i have never even come close to being in a fight or having a situation that would warrant a firearm in her opinion.
Kokeba07

Postby brent375hh on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:31 pm

It takes time and an understanding of how guns work and why you want to carry one.
6 years ago my new wife wanted to know why I was wearing a gun, and why is it was cocked.
After reading her the public safety section of the Star Tribune that SHE gets daily, she now understands.
Today she could care less if I am wearing a gun or a cell phone. Last year she was approached by two unsavory looking guys while standing
50 feet from me. After they left she said she would have preferred on that day for me the be wearing a gun. She was surprised when I told her that
indeed I was since I was not clairvoyant and could not predict when I might need a pistol or spare tire.

Some women (people) that have not grown up with firearms think they can just go off randomly and have that fear.
It is hard to convince them otherwise since the media is always reporting such instances. Just last month there was the woman
in Detroit that was shot in the heart while hugging a man from behind. This was by his holstered pistol carried IWB. Most non people take that
as gospel until they do a little bit of critical thought on it.
brent375hh

Postby rtk on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Kokeba07 wrote:
rtk wrote:I have been married 30+ years and have had two " situations" where the wife looked at me like....Oh crap, I hope you got that thing on you!!!

This is part of her argument she says she cant see a reason to carry i have never even come close to being in a fight or having a situation that would warrant a firearm in her opinion.

I don't fight either but I can't carry a Cop with me all of the time!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby brent375hh on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Kokeba07 wrote:

Did you buy a fire extiquisher yet have never been in a burning house?
Do you have life insurance, but never died?
brent375hh

Postby mrShinola on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 pm

My wife pats me down every time I leave the house. If I'm not carrying I am told " you're not leaving this house unless you are properly armed."

God, I love that woman :D
Last edited by mrShinola on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep your booger hook off of the bang-bang switch"
mrShinola

Next

Return to General Gun Chat