Minnesota resident - carry in North Dakota

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Hmac on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:52 am

I get conflicting info off the web.

How does a Minnesota resident carry in North Dakota? I realize we're not reciprocal. I have a Florida non-resident permit, but I read that NoDak recently said that OOS permits by someone not a resident of that state were no longer valid. It would seem to leave Minnesota residents with virtually no option for carry in North Dakota. Am I missing something here?
Last edited by Hmac on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmac

Re: Minnesota resident - crry in North Dakota

Postby farmerj on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:05 am

And allows you to carry openly. Heck, you can toss your gun on the dash if you'd want. Just don't have it loaded.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Re: Minnesota resident - carry in North Dakota

Postby Hmac on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 am

I should have clarified....concealed carry of a loaded pistol in North Dakota? How does a Minnesota resident do that? Does Florida non-resident permit work?
Hmac

Postby gman1868 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:41 pm

According to handgunlaw.us North Dakota honors the Utah permit, not Florida or Minnesota.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northdakota.pdf
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby farmerj on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Hmac wrote:I should have clarified....concealed carry of a loaded pistol in North Dakota? How does a Minnesota resident do that? Does Florida non-resident permit work?

That's the point...

You have less restrictions on you in nd than you do if you have a permit.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby PhilaBOR on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:08 am

I have two iPhone apps: GunLaws2014 and Legal Heat. They both show as up to date.
I recommend everyone have one or more gun law smartphone apps.
Both of them show North Dakota honoring Florida. And Utah and Arizona.
ImageImage
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby LumberZach on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:31 am

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html
This is the one I use. I am currently filling out the paperwork to get an Arizona permit, which seems like it will give me the additional states of Texas and North Dakota (which are the ones I was looking to add) among others.
LumberZach

Postby xd ED on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 am

This topic has been hashed over a few times on this forum.
North Dakota's various websites are unclear at best. I personally contacted the NoDak Office of AG looking for an opinion, and they basically blew me off, suggesting I read the website.
As I recall,(and I'll check later) to carry in NoDak, you must have valid a permit from your state of residence, and your resident state must recognize NoDak's permit. Your state of residence for their purposes is where you hold a driver's license.

In other words, an MN resident is SOL.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Hmac on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 am

xd ED wrote:

Yeah, that appears the way it shakes out, as of 8-1-13..... ALL non-resident concealed carry permits are null and void if your state of residence has no reciprocity with ND. Minnesota residents can no longer carry concealed in North Dakota even with a Utah or Florida permit.
Hmac

Postby xd ED on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:45 am

CHAPTER 62.1-04 CONCEALED WEAPONS

62.1-04-03. License to carry a firearm or dangerous weapon concealed - Class 1 firearm license and class 2 firearm and dangerous weapon license.
1. The director of the bureau of criminal investigation shall issue a license to carry a firearm or dangerous weapon concealed upon review of an application submitted to the director if the following criteria are met:
a. The applicant is at least twenty-one years of age for a class 1 firearm license or
at least eighteen years of age for a class 2 firearm and dangerous weapon
license;
b. The applicant can demonstrate that the applicant is a resident of this state by
providing a copy of a valid driver's license or state-issued identification card from this state that establishes personal identification through photographic means and shows the applicant's name associated with a valid residential street address in this state or the applicant possesses a valid driver's license from the applicant's state of residence that establishes personal identification through photographic means and shows the applicant's name associated with a valid residential street address and a valid concealed weapons license from the applicant's state of residence, which state has reciprocity with this state under section 62.1-04-03.1;

62.1-04-03.1. Reciprocity.
A person who has a valid license issued by another state to carry a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon in that state and whose state grants to residents of this state the right to carry a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon without requiring a separate license to carry a
(Page No. 3)
concealed firearm or dangerous weapon issued by that state may carry, subject to the provisions of this state's law, a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon in this state, and the other state's license is valid in this state
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:50 am

Hmac wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Yeah, that appears the way it shakes out, as of 8-1-13..... ALL non-resident concealed carry permits are null and void if your state of residence has no reciprocity with ND. Minnesota residents can no longer carry concealed in North Dakota even with a Utah or Florida permit.

That is my understanding as well.
And given at the time I wrote them( Aug 26 '13) the AG's office would not commit to an opinion, I would act on the side of staying out of trouble.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby farmerj on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:51 am

MN and ND have been having a pissin' match for decades now long before the CCW / MCPPA ever came into it. And it's not even elected officials that are the cause of it.

If I remember correctly, it all started over ND having different start dates for pheasant for non-residents, MN sued them for duck issues and it's been a problem ever since.

Further proof that the non-elected officials in Minneapolis and Bismarck don't really give a rat about the residents of their respective states.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby tman on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Last edited by tman on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby tman on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 pm

A person who has a valid license issued by another state to carry a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon in that state and whose state grants to residents of this state the right to carry a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon without requiring a separate license to carry a
(Page No. 3)
concealed firearm or dangerous weapon issued by that state may carry, subject to the provisions of this state's law, a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon in this state, and the other state's license is valid in this state

Can someone else parse this?

The way I read it, if one has a FL permit - which has reciprocity with ND - one could carry there.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby xd ED on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:24 pm

tman wrote:
(Page No. 3)

Can someone else parse this?

The way I read it, if one has a FL permit - which has reciprocity with ND - one could carry there.

A person who has a valid license issued by another state
If you have a non NoDak permit

to carry a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon in that state
that makes it legal to carry in the state of issue

and whose state grants to residents of this state the right to carry a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon without requiring a separate license
and are a resident of a state that allows residents of NoDak to carry with a NoDak permit in their state (ie reciprocity with NoDak)

subject to the provisions of this state's law, a concealed firearm or dangerous weapon in this state, and the other state's license is valid in this state
that person can carry in Nodak, subject to NoDak law

The bold type is the part that DQs MN residents

My $00.02 lay opinion.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to General Gun Chat