Electronic hearing protection for hunting?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Electronic hearing protection for hunting?

Postby Ramoel on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:32 pm

I use Pro-Ears for hunting. I've had them for about 9 years now. I don't remember the model but they have the jumpers that you can move to really amplify the sound. Makes it easy to hear a deer coming.

My hearing is not as good as it used to be but with the Pro-Ears I can hear quite well.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby hammAR on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Dillon HP1 series ........
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby FJ540 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Is hearing amplification legal for hunting in MN? I thought I read you couldn't use electronic aids.
FJ540

Postby CraigJS on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:52 am

That's for calling in game. It's been that way for 20/30 years. Long before electronic muffs came out.
CraigJS

Postby jac714 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:23 am

hammAR wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Dillon HP1 series ........

Not for hunting but for daily use I love mine.

Let me know if you want to try them out, I'll loan you mine for a day.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Pat Cannon on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:03 pm

cobb wrote:The cheap ones, the ones that look like Cadwell, translucent ear cups and you can see a red light in them and they cost around $30 or so are junk. I know several that say they are fine, but I have had them get confused or slow when there is a lot of shots doing off. They are just transitioning from their muffled mode to normal mode and will not respond when a shot it fired, so you get a real nice amplified gun blast to your ear.

I have those cheap ones, and while I wouldn't call them junk, they are... marginal. I found them OK for shooting .45 outdoors, but for indoors, especially with the .357, I stick with my Leighton 32dB passive muffs. One day I wore the cheap electronic ones indoors and, the second I walked in to the range area, somebody cut loose with something really loud. Now that I think of it, this might have been that amplified gun blast you describe, Cobb. In any case, I went right back out and switched to the Leightons. And some plugs, too, I think.

The cheap ones, in any case, I've found to be too bulky to work well shooting long arms.
Pat Cannon

Postby cobb on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:42 am

Pat Cannon wrote:
cobb wrote:The cheap ones, the ones that look like Cadwell, translucent ear cups and you can see a red light in them and they cost around $30 or so are junk. I know several that say they are fine, but I have had them get confused or slow when there is a lot of shots doing off. They are just transitioning from their muffled mode to normal mode and will not respond when a shot it fired, so you get a real nice amplified gun blast to your ear.

I have those cheap ones, and while I wouldn't call them junk, they are... marginal.

So maybe you have an idea of what I was referring to and maybe the set I had was defective. But after one day at an outdoor range and my ears ringing for days, I myself will still classify them as junk. If on the range by yourself or a very open range, mine would probably work fine, but on a line such as in a class that several are shooting, I would strongly discourage the use of them. The combination of working on Cobra's in the Corps, working in large computer rooms, shooting and age, my hearing is getting very poor, so I lean towards the quality hearing protection.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby westberg on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:16 am

cobb wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:

I have those cheap ones, and while I wouldn't call them junk, they are... marginal.

So maybe you have an idea of what I was referring to and maybe the set I had was defective. But after one day at an outdoor range and my ears ringing for days, I myself will still classify them as junk. If on the range by yourself or a very open range, mine would probably work fine, but on a line such as in a class that several are shooting, I would strongly discourage the use of them. The combination of working on Cobra's in the Corps, working in large computer rooms, shooting and age, my hearing is getting very poor, so I lean towards the quality hearing protection.

What? Speak up your typing too small. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
westberg

Postby hammAR on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 am

cobb wrote:So maybe you have an idea of what I was referring to and maybe the set I had was defective.

..so are those the ones that you sold to me.........but you said...... :shock:
hammAR

Postby goalie on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Well, the set I got a Pinnacle's going away hubbub work great. I shot about 90 rounds of 44 magnum with a roof over my head at the range with no problems. I am still amazed at how well I can hear with them turned on.

I feel a LOT better about hunting deer with a handgun with these muffs. :)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 pm

hammAR wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Dillon HP1 series ........

Yeah - I use Dillon HP1's, and as you are well aware, I own some of the noisiest guns on the planet, and they work as advertised and damp out the gun blast nicely, while allowing you to hear everything else.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby westberg on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 pm

while allowing you to hear everything else.

Like the cars rolling around behind you from the blast from the muzzle break. :P :lol: :lol:
westberg

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 pm

westberg wrote:

Like the cars rolling around behind you from the blast from the muzzle break. :P :lol: :lol:

or the sound of your panties fluttering in the wind as the shock wave goes by...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby westberg on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
westberg wrote:

or the sound of your panties fluttering in the wind as the shock wave goes by...

I could of swore I had them pulled up tight.
westberg

Postby hammAR on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:45 pm

westberg wrote:I could of swore I had them pulled up tight.

I thought so too, and I was even helping you..............

hammAR

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat