How would YOU treat a Gun Shot Wound?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

How would YOU treat a Gun Shot Wound?

Postby plblark on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 am

From Tam

from View From The Porch by Tam
A couple of Christmases ago, Shootin' Buddy gave me a nice Waller range bag. When I opened it, it already had a couple of Israeli trauma dressings in it. This is because when there are loaded guns about, sometimes bad things can happen, and Shootin' Buddy is a thoughtful and prepared kind of guy.

ToddG was giving his Aim Fast, Hit Fast course in Memphis this past weekend and a student had an ND right into their lower leg. Fortunately, all ended well and everybody reacted properly. Todd sums things up in an AAR:

* Accidents can happen to anyone at any time. This was not the student’s first formal training class and he had also participated in IDPA matches. He had drawn and reholstered his pistol probably a hundred times so far during AFHF this weekend alone. But a moment of inattention was all it took for a bullet to make two new holes in his body.
* Make a plan before an accident occurs and communicate that plan to everyone. Literally less than 30 seconds passed between when the student shot himself and two trained people were attending to the wounds. There was no panic, there was no standing around trying to figure out who was going to do what. We had a plan, everyone knew the plan, everyone followed the plan.
* If you are on the range, you should have a GSW kit with you. Even if you do not know how to use it — in which case you should learn — at least have the kit in case someone else has the know-how but not the supplies. An IFAK should be part of every shooter’s range kit.
* Never be in a rush to holster your pistol. We all know it, we say it, we teach it. Not all of us do it.

Plan A is for nobody to get shot. Have a Plan B.

With that in mind:
My First aid card is VERY out of date.

Anyone want to get together and hire a trainer? I think we have one or two hereabouts ...

Additionally, Thoughts on a GSW kit?

Closest I've had is the guy who tried to amputate his thumb with the slide. That crossed thumbs railroad track hold is BAD. Sterile Gauze pads, some medical tape, a couple tampons, and some duct tape made it into my first aid kit FAST after that!
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Re: How would YOU treat a Gun Shot Wound?

Postby sochr000 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 am

If someone local can't, let me know, I'm a Red Cross 1st Aid and CPR instructor, and for the cost of gas to get down there and maybe a couple beers I could come teach you.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:00 am

Bill's sells a QuickClot kit that would be invaluable for a large tissue injury. I keep one on my sailboat in St. Thomas. When you're 50 miles out in the open ocean, you got no one to help you but yourself.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Shipyard on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 am

i'm in for learning something new. i can donate a few bucks and some homebrews towards the cause.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Lady T on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 am

What a great idea Paul!
I would love to refresh my training, it's been more than a few years since any formal training. I've had to deal with more than bloody thumbs at work & so far have handle things pretty well. For me, the more I know what to do, the more I should be able to keep my head in the situation.
Please count me in :D

Teresa
Lady T

Postby monschman on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 am

GSW kit, isnt that the hot poker and the rubber strap? I will need to get first responder re-certified again this year after april so if a fellow member is offering a class, show me where to sign up
monschman

Postby White Horseradish on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:37 am

Sounds like a hell of an idea.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby 45usp45 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 am

I'm game for a class.My last certification is at least 2 decades old.
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Postby tt3 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

If we can do family CPR and first aid, I'd be in. I can also donate some brews.
tt3

Postby GregM on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:23 am

I carry small bandages, alcohol wipes, scissors, etc. Not enough for a gunshot wound, that's for sure.

A first aid class sounds like a great idea.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby mnglocker on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 am

SS Mentioned a quickclot kit, here's what he's talking about IIRC: http://www.celoxmedical.com/index.htm This, along with alcohol pads, iodine wash, sucher kit, high quality tweezers, a couple disposable scalples, stapler kit, 36" of latex or preffebly nitrile tubing (If not that, 550 cord will do), bandaids, gauze, a CPR kit, sterile nitrile gloves and any medications that may be needed make for a good kit
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby plblark on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 am

I know there are some warnings on Quik Clot. Things like do NOT use it unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary as it can do damage. BUt I know just enough to know I don't know enough on the subject.
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby princewally on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:26 pm

tt3 wrote:If we can do family CPR and first aid, I'd be in. I can also donate some brews.

+1
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby plblark on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 pm

OK, looking around at the Redcross website, here's how it looks:
Standard First Aid: 4 hours, $55, offered in an evening class
Practice bandaging and splinting and learn a plan of action to recognize and deal with these emergencies: Unconsciousness; Bleeding; Broken bones; Head, neck, and back injuries; Sudden illness, including stroke, diabetic emergencies, seizures, fainting and poisoning. This course does not teach rescue breathing, CPR, or first aid for choking.
Length: 4 hours
Certification received: Standard First Aid (recognized as valid for three years)

Standard First Aid + CPR: 7 hours, $79, an all day class
Learn these skills for caring for adult victims: Giving rescue breaths, CPR, First aid for choking, Using a breathing barrier and gloves, Bleeding control, Splinting, Caring for head, neck, and back injuries, Recognizing signals of a heart attack, Caring for sudden illness.
Length: 7 hours
Certification received: CPR – Adult (recognized as valid for one year)
Standard First Aid (recognized as valid for three years)

Now, changing it from Standard +CPR to Family + GSW + CPR .. how would that change the class? I assume it's just specific GSW commentary, Adding child to Adult CPR ...
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Depending on the date, I would love to be in on this...
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Next

Return to General Gun Chat