Need advice on brand new shotgun problem

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Need advice on brand new shotgun problem

Postby shackleford on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Ordered a 12ga over and under from CDNN last week and picked it up today, gun looks great, seems to function well (haven't fired it yet), but there is one issue and I need some advice. Between the upper and lower barrels there is a single piece of bird shot, stuck inside between the rails that connect the two barrels. Every time you tilt the gun up or down, you hear this dammed BB rolling. It is enough to drive me nuts. I called CDNN, and they offered me the option of either sending a call tag and swapping the gun, or me keeping it and giving me a $20 credit. I am pretty sure that I can get it out of there, or worst case put a drop of super glue in there to make it stick, but run the risk of slightly scratching the vent ( for lack of a better word) getting it out. The forend would hide this, so you would only see it with the gun disassembled. I don't like the idea of messing with a brand new gun, but also am not thrilled with paying another $20 FFL fee to get a new one. I am leaning towards sending it back, but would like to hear from you all.

Thanks in advance!

shackleford

Re: Need advice on brand new shotgun problem

Postby Belgiboy on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Do you know if it is a lead or a steel BB?
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby mitchx3 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

See if it follows a magnet.

Lead: melt it out with a soldering iron or heatgun.
Steal: epoxy>superglue.
mitchx3

Postby shackleford on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 pm

It is lead for sure. No magnet following, and I put an indent in it trying to push it out. Could I solder it out somehow without messing up the barrels?
shackleford

Postby monschman on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:00 pm

My question is why is there birdshot stuck between the bbls? Overall how was your transaction with cdnn, their deals sometimes seem too good.
monschman

Postby shackleford on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:19 pm

No idea how in the hell it got there, because it sure ain't coming out in any normal manner. I was tempted to drill part of that back vent that the fore end hides, but I'm not going to take that risk. It goes back tomorrow, and the wait begins again.
shackleford

Postby mitchx3 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Get some wire really hot and start poking it. It will either coat the wire (if clean copper) or deform, either way it will come out quickly.
mitchx3

Postby Pezhead on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:14 am

I'd like to know how the birshot got there too. My advice would have been to heat up the shot to make it soft than push it out. Good luck.
Pezhead

Postby Porkie on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:25 am

It won't be shot. It'll no doubt be a piece of solder from the process of assembling the barrels. Concur in sending it back. Ask for your money for the second trip from your vendor.

Regards, Porkie
Porkie

Postby EJSG19 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 am

Yup, let CDNN fix it. Its a service thing, whether you could fix it yourself or not, you shouldn't have to.

why risk discoloring or damaging your gun?
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Snowgun on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:42 pm

Steady hands and a dremel tool. Problem solved! ;)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Stradawhovious on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:50 pm

You could always leave it there, and call it a "One of a Kind Factory Custom"

Or you could have them fix it. The problem I see with you fixing it is this. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you get it out, but in the process you put a tiny little ding or scratch in the barrel. now, It's 6 months later, and now there's an issue with your ejectors. You send the gun back, and they ask about the suspicious scratch on the barrel. You tell them that it happened while removing a glob of solder left over from the factory. They call it "shade-tree gunsmithing" and now won't honor any warranty.

I know, a stretch, but personally I would just have them do it. Then THEY are responsible for the outcome, not you.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby 1911fan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 pm

No need to send it back, its silver solder most likely which is how the barrels are stuck together.

You do not want to put heat on the barrels, as this can lead to warping. Easiest and recommended was is what mitch suggested, wrap barrels in towels or rags well away from where you are working. suspend the area with the bb up in the air a bit. Clamp a smaller copper wire or paper clip in a vise grip, heat the wire with a torch and and apply the heated wire to the ball of solder. It will melt and drop out.

Keeping the heat small and confined with the paper clip/wire, the risk of damaging the barrels is nil. I have done this same thing on a Beretta Essential.

The solder is soft, and if yoiu do not want to use the heat technique, taking a nice thin putty knife, and putting a wrap of masking tape over the blade so it will not scratch and then just pushing the solder ball out will work just fine.
1911fan

Postby rhoadc on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Kind of related. I looked at the CDNN website and it sayd to call for firearms. Is there a way to simply brouse their inventory??
rhoadc

Postby mitchx3 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:48 pm

Download their catalog, it won't have prices, only the print catalogs have prices.
mitchx3

Next

Return to General Gun Chat