Browning Hi Power S.F.S

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Browning Hi Power S.F.S

Postby hammAR on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:41 am

I recently installed and tested the SFS system from Cylinder & Slide, Inc. of Fremont, NE in one of my Browning High Powers. I found it interesting and a little fun to play with. I am considering installing one on a 1911 also, just for fun of course.

For those of you that may not know, the single action 1911 or the Browning Hi-Power could be carried in three modes:

1. Chamber empty, hammer down.
2. Chamber loaded, hammer down.
3. Chamber loaded, hammer cocked, safety locked.

To eliminate these three methods of carrying the Single Action pistol, the double action pistol mechanism was developed, allowing the hammer to be cocked by pulling the trigger. However, a double action pistol requires a heavier trigger pull and a longer movement of the trigger. This can be detrimental to accuracy because the different positioning of the trigger for the first shot may disturb the shooter. To offer a safer weapon, some manufacturers introduced an additional manual safety which made handling the pistol more confusing.

The S.F.S. System eliminates all three of these carry modes and the problems associated with a double action pistol, creating a safer method of carry, faster use, and better accuracy. The S.F.S. system allows the pistol to be carried with the chamber loaded and the hammer down. When the pistol is carried in this condition, the hammer is locked, the sear is locked, the slide cannot be opened, and the trigger is locked.

With the three safeties activated the S.F.S. allows the hammer to be cocked, and the safeties are then deactivated by simply pressing the ambidextrous safety lever with the thumb. The trigger pull remains light and accurate, allowing a very fast first shot.

Has anyone else tried one and what do you think...............
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Re: Browning Hi Power S.F.S

Postby 1911fan on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:48 pm

To me its answers a question I did not ask, as I have yet to find the safety set up of JMB to have a flaw. It is the people who see a hammer back and squeal like a cat caught in a fan belt that have the flaw.

The system is from Bill Laughridge, of C&S fame, so it's probably going to work at advertised. BUT< it adds more pieces to the puzzle and that always seems to cause more problems than solving.

Just my $.o2 worth
1911fan

Postby farmerj on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:05 pm

Sounds like murphy coming into the picture.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby hammAR on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:42 pm

Well at least the Browning kit didn't cost anything and it is for fun, not for carry.......

I general I think that I agree with 1911fan, thus the 1911's will not be touched........... :D
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Pat on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:54 pm

It might be kind of fun to take an old beater 1911, like a Norinco, and install the mod.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:13 pm

1911fan wrote:To me its answers a question I did not ask, as I have yet to find the safety set up of JMB to have a flaw. It is the people who see a hammer back and squeal like a cat caught in a fan belt that have the flaw.
I agree. A fellow in our club brought out a DAO 1911 for Ladies Day. As he was showing it to me all I could think of was, why?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Return to General Gun Chat