MN Gun Laws for an 18 Year Old (?)

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

MN Gun Laws for an 18 Year Old (?)

Postby TheCAPCadet on Sat May 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi all,

As mentioned in my intro, I'm planning on relocating to Minnesota (most likely) after I get a year of community college done. One of my top choices for college is the University of St Thomas in St Paul. Now on to my questions:

I'm about to turn 18 in a few days, and have just started to really get into shooting. I've had a 10/22 for a few years, and just put down the money for a Marlin 981T (birthday present :D ). I'm definitely going to want to start looking into military-rifles, and would like to wait until I leave CA to do so due to our rules (i.e. no mags over 10rds [and undetachable], can't have a folding stock AND pistol grip at the same time, etc.).

What I'm trying to find out are the regs surrounding someone under 21 purchasing and posessing a military-style assault rifle. For simplicity's sake, this is what the NRA's website says:

"Minnesota - No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun or handgun. The following may not possess a handgun or semi-automatic military style assault weapon:
1. A person under 18. But a person under 18 may carry or possess a handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of parent or guardian; for purpose of a military drill; for purpose of a supervised instruction, competition or target practice on a police approved firing range; or if the person has completed a course on handgun or semi-automatic military-style assault weapon marksmanship and safety approved by the Commissioner of Natural Resources."

I've seen a few different things on the matter, and wanted to get a straight answer from someone who's BTDT. All I'll be doing is range practice, really. No intentions to hunt. My understanding of this is that, as long as that’s what I’m using it for, I’m in the clear (not yet being 18).

Would I still need a safety course, per the Commissioner of Natural Resources?

Will this allow me to purchase military-style rifles in the state? Or do you need to be 21 to do that? If I cannot purchase them until 21, would I be able to bring one with me that I purchased in CA? Or would I need to get rid of it?

Are these policies generally the norm in the Twin Cities, or do they have stricter control (specifically, St Paul)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Truth be told, the other college I’m looking at is U of North Texas, and given that I like both of the schools, and they have programs I’m equally interested in, I’m good going either place, so this matter is playing quite a roll in helping determine where I go.

Thanks all!
Last edited by TheCAPCadet on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCAPCadet

Re: MN Gun Laws for an 18 Year Old (?)

Postby farmerj on Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 pm

IF you are going to be around guns. Why not take the gun safety course? It just makes sense to do it. You will be on the same level a lot of the hunters are to a degree. Nothing wrong with learning a little bit.

Is it needed for what you want to do? nope, but it just makes sense to do it anyway. Especially since it's an online class anyway except for the shooting portion.

18 will allow you to get "assault rifles" as the law defines them. 21 for handguns.

MN requires a background check (AKA permit to purchase) for assault rifles and handguns. These are good for 1 year and are free. You can also get a permit to carry at 21 which is good for 5 years and also becomes your permit to purchase.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby FJ540 on Sat May 29, 2010 8:30 pm

If you can legally purchase a lower in CA, you should do that, then build the gun you want when you come here.

MN's purchase permits are for both handgun and assault style rifles. So, you need to either be 21, or you need to have a chat with your Chief of Police like I did when I was 20. I had a meeting with him where I requested a permit to purchase an assault style rifle, seeing as only handguns are regulated by federal law. He typed a special note on my permit stating it was only valid for purchasing the gun I had been intending to buy (Feather AT-9) and sent me on my way (after asking if I was having problems in my apartment building, and telling me that a shotgun was a better home defense weapon - I wish I was kidding here, but that's for another thread).

Once you're out of CA, you can assemble everything but a suppressed SBR without so much as a funny look from anyone. SBR's are legal, but require the tax stamp just like everywhere else. Suppressors are expressly prohibited, because dem's don't value anyone's hearing (they might hear the truth) or fear being assassinated by one (which is probably a valid concern).

St Thomas is a great school with a remarkable selection of extremely attractive women, and St Catharines right down the street to boot. I almost went there, but couldn't stomach the tuition.
FJ540

Postby TheCAPCadet on Sat May 29, 2010 10:00 pm

farmerj wrote:IF you are going to be around guns. Why not take the gun safety course? It just makes sense to do it. You will be on the same level a lot of the hunters are to a degree. Nothing wrong with learning a little bit.

Definitely nothing wrong with completing safety courses (didn't mean for that to come out that way). I'm all for that; just trying to find out if that's really all thats needed. Like I said, I've seen quite a few different things regarding the purchase of assault rifles in the state, and just wanted to get straight info.

MN requires a background check (AKA permit to purchase) for assault rifles and handguns.

Same as for CA; although they tack on a 10-day "cool off" period, as well.

FJ540 wrote:MN's purchase permits are for both handgun and assault style rifles. So, you need to either be 21, or you need to have a chat with your Chief of Police like I did when I was 20. I had a meeting with him where I requested a permit to purchase an assault style rifle, seeing as only handguns are regulated by federal law. He typed a special note on my permit stating it was only valid for purchasing the gun I had been intending to buy (Feather AT-9) and sent me on my way (after asking if I was having problems in my apartment building, and telling me that a shotgun was a better home defense weapon - I wish I was kidding here, but that's for another thread).

Is that something they can deny if they don't like your reason for wanting one? ('Cause living in a bad area won't work with where I'll be....)

As for purchasing the specific parts here; I've got my eyes on a few other things that are CA legal that I'm lookin' at purchasing first. I've got no problems waiting 'till I'm out of here to get the bigger stuff.

St Thomas is a great school with a remarkable selection of extremely attractive women, and St Catharines right down the street to boot. I almost went there, but couldn't stomach the tuition.

I can't wait... 8-)
TheCAPCadet

Postby FJ540 on Sat May 29, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm not sure what recourse you'd have, but I'm sure we have a lawyer here who'd enjoy the challenge. :)

I simply made the argument that an assault rifle is still just a rifle and not regulated by the Feds or MN law. The Chief countered that I might use my permit to buy a handgun from an ignorant FFL. So that's why he decided to write the gun on the permit.

Btw: I wasn't in a bad apartment, had no "problems" to speak of... I'm still disgusted at the implications he made that the only reason I wanted a gun was to deal with trouble. I've always been a gun guy and I wanted to start expanding my collection at the time. Nothing more.
FJ540

Postby Tommy Gun on Sun May 30, 2010 11:17 am

TheCAPCadet wrote:Is that something they can deny if they don't like your reason for wanting one? ('Cause living in a bad area won't work with where I'll be....)

Minnesota is a "shall issue" state, so you should be issued a permit as long as you meet the statutory requirements. In other words, they can't deny you because you live in the nice part of town or have your hair parted from side-to-side instead of front-to-back. :shock:

By the way, welcome to the forum and (eventually) to Minnesota. :welcome:
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby ex-LT on Sun May 30, 2010 7:19 pm

TheCAPCadet wrote:or if the person has completed a course on handgun or semi-automatic military-style assault weapon marksmanship and safety approved by the Commissioner of Natural Resources.

To my knowledge, there is no such course, unless they're talking about the basic firearm safety/hunter education course. Like farmerj said, you can take it as an online course. All you need to do after completing the online portion is find a DNR certified instructor to administer the written exam and the "field day" exercises.

A "permit to purchase" - issued by the Chief of Police in your city of residence - is required for anyone to purchase a handgun or an EBR (Evil Black Rifle). Seeing as you are not yet 21, that may pose a bit of an issue. Especially if you'll be living in St. Paul. The top cops in the metro area are not necessarily known for their pro second amendment stances.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby TheCAPCadet on Mon May 31, 2010 1:40 pm

Roger that. Thank you all for your input!
TheCAPCadet

Postby TheCAPCadet on Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 pm

MNNavy wrote:
TheCAPCadet wrote:A "permit to purchase" - issued by the Chief of Police in your city of residence - is required for anyone to purchase a handgun or an EBR (Evil Black Rifle). Seeing as you are not yet 21, that may pose a bit of an issue. Especially if you'll be living in St. Paul. The top cops in the metro area are not necessarily known for their pro second amendment stances.

After doing quite a bit of research, I've come up with nothing on the matter. Is this the only way you can obtain an AR-style weapon? From what I gather here, and through my research, it sounds like I'm SOL; and even if there's a bit of a chance it's possible, I don't want to run the risk of it not working out, then being stuck there.

As I said in my first, post, this is playing quite a big role in determining where I go, and I want to make damn sure I make the right choice.

Thanks all.
TheCAPCadet

Postby farmerj on Mon May 31, 2010 4:11 pm

what are you looking for?

The age at which you can purchase a "Assault rifle"? Age 18
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.713
Subdivision 1.Ineligible persons.

The following persons shall not be entitled to possess a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon or, except for clause (1), any other firearm:

(1) a person under the age of 18 years except that a person under 18 may carry or possess a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon (i) in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of the person's parent or guardian, (ii) for the purpose of military drill under the auspices of a legally recognized military organization and under competent supervision, (iii) for the purpose of instruction, competition, or target practice on a firing range approved by the chief of police or county sheriff in whose jurisdiction the range is located and under direct supervision; or (iv) if the person has successfully completed a course designed to teach marksmanship and safety with a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon and approved by the commissioner of natural resources;

To purchase a pistol? Age 21
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Squib Joe on Mon May 31, 2010 4:39 pm

You need to be 18 to purchase an assault rifle, but you also need a permit to purchase.

Some cities aren't aware of this, and think you need to be 21 in order to get a permit to purchase. Others are on the ball and stamp their permits with "Cannot be used to buy handguns" or something similar.

I've had to talk a few city clerks through this. If you continue to get stonewalled, ask them to call the MN DPS or the local ATF branch for clarification.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby TheCAPCadet on Mon May 31, 2010 5:03 pm

farmerj wrote:what are you looking for?

AR. I'm fully aware of the age for handguns.

Squib Joe wrote:You need to be 18 to purchase an assault rifle, but you also need a permit to purchase.

Some cities aren't aware of this, and think you need to be 21 in order to get a permit to purchase. Others are on the ball and stamp their permits with "Cannot be used to buy handguns" or something similar.

I've had to talk a few city clerks through this. If you continue to get stonewalled, ask them to call the MN DPS or the local ATF branch for clarification.

Roger that. Thanks for the info!
TheCAPCadet

Postby TheCAPCadet on Mon May 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Another question that I just thought up:

While you need the permit to purchase the AR-style rifle in MN, I take there would be no problem with me bringing something from CA? (The whole rifle, not just a part, as previously talked about.) Since I'm still trying to be conservative with the money -- I've been eyeing a couple of the .22LR ARs, which are legal in CA. If I could bring what I've got with me, that would be a great way to tide me over if St Paul didn't approve the permit for some reason, or until I turned 21.
TheCAPCadet

Postby farmerj on Mon May 31, 2010 5:08 pm

stop being paranoid and enjoy the move.

Unless you have a compelling reason that they would deny you, they won't. If you have an otherwise clean record, it shouldn't be an issue.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby TheCAPCadet on Mon May 31, 2010 5:16 pm

farmerj wrote:stop being paranoid and enjoy the move.

I come from California. I can't help it.

lol
TheCAPCadet

Next

Return to General Gun Chat