Thoughts on the NRA Now that the Supreme Court Takes D.C.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Thoughts on the NRA Now that the Supreme Court Takes D.C.

Postby cmj685 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:50 pm

I was reading the new issue of American Rifleman this morning while running on the treadmill, and was struck by the similarity of both the vice-president's and the president's column (and they were both similar to most of their other columns). I would summarize both articles this way:
1) The sky is falling.
2) We are the only ones who can stop the sky from falling.
3) Send us all your money immediately before you are crushed by the falling sky. We are your only hope.

What struck me about the columns, and all of the correspondance I get from the NRA, is how they are always demanding that I fund their agenda, but they never ever are willing to even inquire about our agenda as members and citizens, and they certainly never offer to come alongside and join us in our causes. Either we fund their agenda or...we deserve whatever bad happens to us.
To quote myself elsewhere:
The longer I have been an NRA member, and the more I have carefully watched what is happening there, the more suspicious I grow that the NRA is not necessarily in this fight either for the second amendment nor the members' rights, but rather because it has become a monstrous money-making machine whose number one mission above all else is the self-perpetuation of itself--its own power, prerogatives, pensions, pay and privileges. Too many indicators are adding up to the net effect that the NRA actually prefers gun rights to stay under assault because more money is given to it when that happens. I could wish I were wrong, but I think it is becoming clearer. The question is, seriously, what are we going to do as an alternative?!
Last edited by cmj685 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Re: Thoughts on the NRA Now that the Supreme Court Takes D.C.

Postby 642rUS on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:52 pm

David Gross (7 years) and Joe Olson (9 years) used to be on the NRA Board of Directors. They were purged for being TOO purist ("extremist") in their Second Amendment views. That ought to tell you something about the NRA.
642rUS

Return to General Gun Chat