Good places to shoot in town??

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Good places to shoot in town??

Postby EastSideRich on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:30 pm

Where in town do people go to shoot?
I went to Bill's last weekend and it was $20 to get on a lane. Metro gun club is in that area, Its cheaper, but I think you pay for half an hour, so if you're there for a while, it's more than bills. Between this and ammo, this is getting to be an expensive hobby.

Does anyone know good places in town to shoot for cheap?

Also, does anyone know the laws about shooting outdoors in Wisconsin? My grandparents have a cabin near Cumberland. It would be nice to just go there to spend an afternoon throwing some lead around, but I don't know if you can do this.
ESR

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
- Mark Twain

The government is not your friend!
EastSideRich

Re: Good places to shoot in town??

Postby rucker on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:17 pm

At Bills you can buy 20 range tokens for $250 which makes it a bit easier on the wallet. I don't know where you can shoot for really cheap indoors though.
rucker

Postby Aceq2jot on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:54 pm

Or you can buy a bronze membership for $300 which costs you $7 a time for range fees plus free targets, and your fellow shooter also shoots for $7.00 which makes for a good deal. I guess it depends on how much you go to the range on which would work out as the better deal for each person.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby 1911fan on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Metro has a membership which drastically reduces the prices, and if you become a regular, you only get charged that first half hour, unless is busy.
1911fan

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Burnsville Pistol Range
Lane Rental Fees
One person with one gun $12.00 - unlimited time
Additional person $5.00 each (maximum of 3 persons per lane)
Additional gun $4.00 (each person is charged for a maximum of 2 guns)
OR
1 lane for a half hour $10.00 (must request when logging in)

Dakotah Firing Range @ Mystic Lake
Services (Call 952-496-6886 for more information and restrictions)
With $35 membership you get unlimited range time for $10

Bill's
At Bill's the range pass offers big savings because you are buying in bulk, 10 pack for 150.00 ($15.00 per token a $ 5.00 per visit savings) or the 20 pack for $250.00 ( $12.50 per token a $7.50 per visit savings ). In addition these tokens have no expiration date and are fully transferable. Bring a friend and enjoy a day at the range.
http://www.billsgs.com/membership.pdf

Metro as state.....

I wonder what the fees will be at the new range in Monticello?

Dakotah is the cleanest and they and Bill's have the best hours......
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Pat Cannon on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Or you can show up at Bill's Robbinsdale on league night, which is every Thursday at 5PM and 7PM, and shoot a fun 100-round course of fire with fun people, for $12.50 including targets. (I think that's the price; haven't been in a while myself.)
Pat Cannon

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:04 am

Pat Cannon wrote:Or you can show up at Bill's Robbinsdale on league night, which is every Thursday at 5PM and 7PM, and shoot a fun 100-round course of fire with fun people, for $12.50 including targets. (I think that's the price; haven't been in a while myself.)

The price counting tax is now $13.27, which includes a fun and varied hour of shooting and all necessary targets.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Rem700 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:14 am

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:Or you can show up at Bill's Robbinsdale on league night, which is every Thursday at 5PM and 7PM, and shoot a fun 100-round course of fire with fun people, for $12.50 including targets. (I think that's the price; haven't been in a while myself.)

The price counting tax is now $13.27, which includes a fun and varied hour of shooting and all necessary targets.

Any additional info on this I checked Bills website but saw nothing.
Times, qualifications needed, do you need to make every thursday,etc,etc
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby justaguy on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:23 am

Last edited by justaguy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justaguy

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:46 am

Rem700 wrote:
Jeff Bergquist wrote:

There are 2 separate groups that shoot, 1 at 5:00 p.m. and 1 at 7:00 p.m. most Thursdays. Each group does pretty much their own thing but in a similar vein, running through several varied strings of fire. I shoot with the 5:00 group and we're not formally competitive, but are more into having a safe and fun way to drill, so drop-ins aren't a problem and are welcome. Several of us are there shooting the breeze from about 3:00 p.m. until it's time to take to the range at 5:00, so if you can stop by early you can have any other questions addressed.

Basically the only requirements are a centerfire handgun and at least 100 rounds of ammo. A couple spare mags or speed loaders are helpful as well as masking tape to patch your targets. (We generally have plenty of tape to share if needed). Eye and ear protection if you have it or it can be rented from the range.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:07 pm

Rem700 wrote:
Jeff Bergquist wrote:

Yeah, the league info on their web site has never been up to date or complete (What's up with that, Bill's?). Times are 5 & 7 PM, no qualifications except understanding basic safety rules. Show up when & if you feel like it. No gear needed, any centerfire pistol or revolver is allowed, though last time I went to the 5 PM one, many the stages consisted of 6-shot strings which meant I was at a definite disadvantage with the 5-shooter I brought that day -- but that just meant I got to practice with my speedloaders. :)

I'm overdue for some trigger time so I'm planning on going at 7 this coming Thursday.
Pat Cannon

Postby Rem700 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info thus far, How long does this last every thursday until? Is this structured like IDPA or is it stand and deliver? Do you just go upstairs and tell them your there for league night down stairs? Might just be a means of passing the winter a little faster.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby cmj685 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:43 pm

I assume we are talking about Bill's in Robbinsdale? Does Bill's in Circle Pines have any kind of league night or other events for us north guys?
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby macphisto on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:50 pm

CMJ, I'm planning on being at Bill's South this Thursday around 4PM to check this thing out and maybe shoot both sessions. Care to join?
macphisto

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:23 pm

Rem700 wrote:Thanks for the info thus far, How long does this last every thursday until? Is this structured like IDPA or is it stand and deliver? Do you just go upstairs and tell them your there for league night down stairs? Might just be a means of passing the winter a little faster.

It's stand (sometimes kneel) and deliver, the best we can do in an operating shooting range. We go pretty much year round, with some holidays off, (like Thanksgiving last week) and a couple weeks off during deer season rifle sight-in.

Just come downstairs, (or park in the underground garage and come right into the range) and ask the counterperson about the Thursday Defensive Pistol League. He'll probably direct you to whomever of us regulars that might already be there.
Jeff Bergquist

Next

Return to General Gun Chat