Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: DIY Camo Dip

Postby Scratch on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Looks awesome!
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:50 am

JJ wrote:It's the exact same film that the professional dip places use. This is directly from a guy that does dipping commercially for a bunch of bow manufacturers.
Like anything it's all about the prep work.

i understand, but how well does it hold up? is it at all corrosion resistand, or is it purely asthetic? i'd be interested in doing a digital-camo style if it holds up well enough. and by that i mean at least as well as a Duracoat
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Lunchbox on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:22 am

rukwikenuf wrote:
JJ wrote:It's the exact same film that the professional dip places use. This is directly from a guy that does dipping commercially for a bunch of bow manufacturers.

i understand, but how well does it hold up? is it at all corrosion resistand, or is it purely asthetic? i'd be interested in doing a digital-camo style if it holds up well enough. and by that i mean at least as well as a Duracoat

I'm guessing if it's the same film it holds up really really good. So get the wife on ordering you some.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 am

Lunchbox wrote:
rukwikenuf wrote:

I'm guessing if it's the same film it holds up really really good. So get the wife on ordering you some.

like JJ said, it's all about the prep. I would think this would easily be as durable as duracoat if the person doing the application does their part. Most of the time with products like these, it's all about following the directions to a T and not cutting corners. Seeing as applying professional finishes was my career for several years, I would love to get my hands on some of this stuff and try it out, but I'm not going to foot the cash to get ahold of some. There's a six pack in it (well, a 3 pack anyways ;) ) for anyone that lets me sit in if they decide to go with this. :D
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:48 am

Strad - Dip a Moisin.... Commie Flags...
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 am

Pinnacle wrote:Strad - Dip a Moisin.... Commie Flags...

If this product sticks to 50 year old cosmoline..... I will REALLY be impressed. :lol:
Stradawhovious

Postby TH3180 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
like JJ said, it's all about the prep. I would think this would easily be as durable as duracoat if the person doing the application does their part. Most of the time with products like these, it's all about following the directions to a T and not cutting corners. Seeing as applying professional finishes was my career for several years, I would love to get my hands on some of this stuff and try it out, but I'm not going to foot the cash to get ahold of some. There's a six pack in it (well, a 3 pack anyways ;) ) for anyone that lets me sit in if they decide to go with this. :D

I am thinking about doing this to my beater 870. If I do you are more then welcome to help. You bring the beer and read the instructions. I will look at the pictures and drink the beer. Hell we'll figure it out. 8-)
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:54 pm

TH3180 wrote:
Stradawhovious wrote:

I am thinking about doing this to my beater 870. If I do you are more then welcome to help. You bring the beer and read the instructions. I will look at the pictures and drink the beer. Hell we'll figure it out. 8-)

I'm in. :D
Stradawhovious

Postby lacny82 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm

It will be interesting to see how it holds up over time and after 1,000 rounds. My duracoat gave out after about a year. Next time I'm going to parkerize first to see if that helps. Last time I had my handgun professionally sand blasted before application. I was gonna try a cerakote the next time around, but if this procedure holds up I'm definitely going to try that.
lacny82

Postby 67camaro on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:59 pm

I completely sandblasted my saiga and yes that does help with durability but it is no where near as strong as a baked cerakote finish. I rate it about the same as an automotive finish the more clear you apply afterwords the better. It holds up just fine to sticks and branches being dropped and what not. But metal to metal where it will scratch and chip. (See pic)

67camaro

Postby PileDriver on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Strad, how about I give you a 12 pack and I watch YOU do it to my gun. :lol:

I'm actually thinking of using this stuff on my truck's bug deflector.
PileDriver

Postby primm on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I have about 1000 rounds through my pistol with no signs of wear... very pleased....
primm

Postby 67camaro on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:25 pm

PileDriver wrote:Strad, how about I give you a 12 pack and I watch YOU do it to my gun. :lol:

I'm actually thinking of using this stuff on my truck's bug deflector.

Just remember the tub your dipping in has to be larger than the part you are dipping. Not saying you can't dip your bug deflector your just gonna have to find a rather large troft. :D
67camaro

Postby primm on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 pm

maybe a kiddie pool?
primm

Postby 67camaro on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Dont see why that wouldnt work just remember temp has to be like 70-80F.
67camaro

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat