What a great day shooting.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

What a great day shooting.

Postby TH3180 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I got to go to a friend's house that he set up his own range. He has it marked out to 100 yards. He also built his own shooting bench. Today was the 1st time I ever shot off of a bench, which was neat. I shot my reloads for the 1st time. Yes I am now hooked when it comes to reloading. To make my day complete I got to shoot a rifle for the 1st time. My friend let me shoot his Remington 700, with 270 Winchester rounds. We shot from a bench at 100 yards. All I can say to explain it, holy crap what a gun. Talk about a gun that will set you in your place. After we got the scope dialed in. I shot a 5round group just over 1.25". First time shooting a rifle I am really happy with that. What a great fall day in Minnesota.
Last edited by TH3180 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TH3180

Re: What a great day shooting.

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Sounds like you had a blast! (pun intended) Kudos!
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Pezhead on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:26 am

Glad you had a great time.
Pezhead

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:29 am

TH3180 wrote: Talk about a gun that will set you in your place.

Well, if the recoil from a 270 got your attention, you need to keep that in mind if you ever move up to 30 caliber or beyond, particularly if you go with one of the big magnum cases. Thankfully, muzzle brakes have come into their own in the last decade, and there is NO reason that you need to own a gun that isn't fitted with one. There are gunsmiths that can fit them to existing guns, so you don't have to shop exclusively for a gun that comes from the factory with a brake on it. The recoil reduction is huge, although you have to get used to the fact that the gun will still START to come back on you just as hard. Then all of a sudden the gun pretty much stops dead, so it's like a stage punch from a professional wrestler. Looks like you got the snot punched out of you, but a second later you discover you're still standing there in one piece and feeling fine.

Remington 700's are pretty much the de facto standard for a lot of SWAT teams and snipers, so you really can't go too far wrong with one of those. As far as the best kept secret is concerned, Savage rifles are known buy a lot of shooters as being capable of an unholy degree of accuracy.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby DeanC on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 am

If you are just going to shoot off a bench, muzzle brakes are fantastic. If you are going to hunt, they are to be avoided unless you are already deaf or plan on also wearing electronic hearing protection while hunting. They increase the volume of the report substantially.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Muzzle brakes are not allowed in F-Class, due to proximity of adjacent shooters
Ed.....a noob
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to General Gun Chat