Can you shoot a BB gun in city limits in MN?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Can you shoot a BB gun in city limits in MN?

Postby BWinger on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:19 am

I have done a little searching, but haven't found anything really clear, mostly just post on other forums that went both ways. I have been thinking about getting my oldest in to shooting soon - most likely next spring, she just turned 3. I was talking to the missus last night about it a bit and she has plenty of fond memories of BB guns growing up, so she's on board.

I live right in town here in Saint Michael. I'm not really looking to shoot in my backyard (though I am curious if I could). We we thinking more along the line of shooting a BB gun up at the cabin in Rice. I don't imagine the neighbors up there would care. I am more interested in the laws at this point as to where I can legally shoot one.

Also, any recommendations as to a decent BB inexpensive gun? I haven't had one since I was a kid.
BWinger

Re: Can you shoot a BB gun in city limits in MN?

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:34 am

Check your city ordanances. Minneapolis you can not.
Holland&Holland

Postby usnret on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:36 am

Make or buy a BB trap and shoot in your basement.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby photogpat on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:52 am

Most of the metro area cities will have ordinances prohibiting discharge of any firearms (including air guns). IANAL, but my impression of the enforcement for BB/air guns is that they are overlooked unless there was a compliant or you were blatant about it. If you have a semi-camouflaged backyard, adequate safety precautions in place (backstop/BB catcher), and talk to your neighbors...probably wouldn't be an issue unless an errant round cracked the neighbor's bathroom window or put a hole in their siding. I grew up in Saint Paul proper, and learned to shoot my Red Ryder into the neighbor's woodpile.

Or, do what usnret suggested -- BB Trap in the basement. I have mine in the garage, 30ft isn't that long of a range, but its plenty for my 5 year olds!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby gyrfalcon on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 am

You might be able to fire plastic pellets in the case of airsoft guns.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Sietch on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:53 am

You'll be alright if you play it cool.

I live in Uptown MPLS and I handle squirrels with a pellet gun. I just make sure to be familiar with the two neighbors who can see me. Both are Anti's actually, but know better than to report a man with a high-power rifle prowling the backyard. They know it's me. You see where I'm going? Even people who are against it on principle are unlikely to make what they really know is an unnecessary stink. And if they are, they'll let you know when you talk to them, either directly or from what you can infer.

The cops won't care unless you make them. Example: if people can see your yard pretty good from the street, don't do it.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby xd9 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:09 pm

As what many have said, keep it out of sight.

But a quick search, I found this on Bloomington's website.

Airsoft guns, BB guns and pellet guns all fit into the definition of "dangerous weapons" set forth in the Bloomington City Code. This class of weapon includes rifles, pistols, and shotguns that use compressed gas or spring-driven pistons to propel plastic or steel pellets.

The Code's definition of dangerous weapons includes "all instruments used to expel, by means of compressed air, springs, or elastic materials, a hard, solid missile or projectile, bullet or pellet of any kind, but not limited to B-B guns and air rifles." – Section 12.35(3).

The Code prohibits "the discharge or use of a dangerous weapon anywhere within the corporate limits of the City." – Section 12.36(d).

It also prohibits "the possession, use or control of a dangerous weapon by a minor under the age of 16 years except in the context of an organized target shooting program with adult supervision or in a firearms safety program under the direction of the Commissioner of Natural Resources." – Section 12.36(k).

To see the City's full definition of dangerous weapons and the restrictions on their use in Bloomington, see Chapter 12, Division H of the City Code

I suspect the same holds true for most cities in the metro. I would think the rules would be much more lax outside the metro. But IANAL

I don't know about Rice. That might be far out enough to be fine. As long as you are safe about it. You could check with the local authorities?
xd9

Postby nyffman on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Nice thread. I don't think it takes too much common sense to know that it's a bad idea to shoot even a BB gun inside of the city limits of any town. Some of the advice you're getting is equally bad. You guys with the low post counts are either trolling or just not thinking very clearly. :roll:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby gyrfalcon on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:50 pm

nyffman wrote:Nice thread. I don't think it takes too much common sense to know that it's a bad idea to shoot even a BB gun inside of the city limits of any town. Some of the advice you're getting is equally bad. You guys with the low post counts are either trolling or just not thinking very clearly. :roll:

My comment was relating to a friend who had the police called on him because he was shooting a BB gun in his backyard. The police officer in Inver Grove Heights told him he could only shoot plastic air-soft rounds. From what I understand many airsoft pistols/rifles use a electric driven spring/motor to shoot the pellets so it gets around the air rifle definition in many cities (besides Bloomington)...
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Even most small towns have those ordinances as does ours.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BWinger on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:26 pm

nyffman wrote:Nice thread. I don't think it takes too much common sense to know that it's a bad idea to shoot even a BB gun inside of the city limits of any town. Some of the advice you're getting is equally bad. You guys with the low post counts are either trolling or just not thinking very clearly. :roll:

Well my common sense told me to check into it. Rice is a bit out. Its at a cabin. We know the neighbors pretty well. I figured there may have been a legal exception to BB guns - I do remember shooting in the yard growing up as a kid with no issues.

I did try looking into my cities ordinances online and came up empty, but I wasn't expecting nor planning to shoot in my yard here anyhow.
BWinger

Postby Sietch on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 pm

nyffman wrote:You guys with the low post counts are either trolling or just not thinking very clearly. :roll:
Not really. Points for arrogance anyway.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby jweiss on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Sietch wrote:
nyffman wrote:You guys with the low post counts are either trolling or just not thinking very clearly. :roll:
Not really. Points for arrogance anyway.

thanks just about what I was gonna say.(post 1)
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Postby gman1868 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Unfortunately most municipalities have an ordinance that says something to the affect of "no discharge of any firearms, including any that are air-powered. So if you live in an area where you might have an interesting neighbor, you'd be better off not using a BB gun or airsoft lest you get a visit from the local constabulary.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby FJ540 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Fridley is rather odd in that we can discharge a bow, air soft, and paintball - on private property (yours, or with owners direct consent).

We cannot discharge air rifles or anything with a hard projectile without first getting a designated and police approved "range." We have normal folks here in Fridley with live fire ranges in their homes. I was supposedly going down that road, but they seem to keep them from sprouting like dandy lions by simply never getting back to you no matter how many times you inquire. :roll:
FJ540

Next

Return to General Gun Chat