Firearms Transfers

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Firearms Transfers

Postby Troops2990 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:34 pm

I have tried looking around and haven't found much on the topic. I was wondering if it is required that you register a firearm bought through a private party sale??
Thanks
Troops2990

Re: Firearms Transfers

Postby MrVvrroomm on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Troops2990 wrote:I have tried looking around and haven't found much on the topic. I was wondering if it is required that you register a firearm bought through a private party sale??
Thanks

If you're a Minnesota resident and you bought it face-to-face from a Minnesota resident there is no registration necessary.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Troops2990 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 pm

MrVvrroomm wrote:
Troops2990 wrote:I have tried looking around and haven't found much on the topic. I was wondering if it is required that you register a firearm bought through a private party sale??
Thanks

If you're a Minnesota resident and you bought it face-to-face from a Minnesota resident there is no registration necessary.

Thats what i was thinking, so it would stay in the other person's name, according to the state??
Troops2990

Postby shackleford on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Minnesota does not require anyone to "register" a gun. When you purchase a gun from a dealer, they will perform a federal background check through the 4473 form. If your application is given the go ahead from the feds, you buy the gun. MN requires you to have a permit to purchase, or a permit to carry in order to buy a handgun, or certain scary looking rifles.

Guns do not, and god willing will never, require a registration in our state.
shackleford

Postby Troops2990 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Sounds good, thanks for clearing that up
Troops2990

Postby Amithus on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:54 am

shackleford wrote:Minnesota does not require anyone to "register" a gun. When you purchase a gun from a dealer, they will perform a federal background check through the 4473 form. If your application is given the go ahead from the feds, you buy the gun. MN requires you to have a permit to purchase, or a permit to carry in order to buy a handgun, or certain scary looking rifles.

The question is what do they do with the 4473 form when the transaction is complete. Kind of a register if you ask me.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Amithus

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Amithus wrote:
shackleford wrote:Minnesota does not require anyone to "register" a gun. When you purchase a gun from a dealer, they will perform a federal background check through the 4473 form. If your application is given the go ahead from the feds, you buy the gun. MN requires you to have a permit to purchase, or a permit to carry in order to buy a handgun, or certain scary looking rifles.

The question is what do they do with the 4473 form when the transaction is complete. Kind of a register if you ask me.

4473 forms stay are kept (in our case, vaulted) at the FFL location. No copy is submitted to any government agency, and they are only produced for inspection by formal request.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Magnum Mikie on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Yep, were fortunate here in Minnesota for most firearm transfers. This poor guy is serving 7 years for legally owning a couple handguns.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/02/ne ... perts-say/
Magnum Mikie

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Squib Joe wrote:4473 forms stay are kept (in our case, vaulted) at the FFL location. No copy is submitted to any government agency, and they are only produced for inspection by formal request.

Except if the case of the FFL closing up shop for any reason at which time Uncle Sam does get them. They are supposedly not able to use them for any type of registration info etc, which begs the question - why not destroy them instead of keeping them???
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby RobD on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 am

Amithus wrote:The question is what do they do with the 4473 form when the transaction is complete. Kind of a register if you ask me.

It's not a question if it's a private party sale...

4473s are only needed when transferring from a FFL, and do not contain the gun purchased, or any serial numbers. Far from any "registration".
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:34 am

LarryFlew wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:4473 forms stay are kept (in our case, vaulted) at the FFL location. No copy is submitted to any government agency, and they are only produced for inspection by formal request.

Except if the case of the FFL closing up shop for any reason at which time Uncle Sam does get them. They are supposedly not able to use them for any type of registration info etc, which begs the question - why not destroy them instead of keeping them???

Another reason to buy from an established dealer instead of a "three year wonder" type of outfit.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 am

In general I would say that's a good point although the Outdoorsman turned in some with my name on them when they closed the doors. You just never know who is going to be around years down the road.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Amithus on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Is there a minimum / maximum you must keep them for or do you have to keep them indefinitely?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Amithus

Postby shadeslanding on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:29 am

Amithus wrote:

Is there a minimum / maximum you must keep them for or do you have to keep them indefinitely?

FFLS are required to keep a bound registry of transfers, and to keep 4473s for a minimum of 20 years. They can at that time be destroyed.

If an FFL goes out of business, they must surrender the bound books and 4473s to the ATF's OB center (Out of Business Center) where they are warehoused. ATF is not funded nor authorized by Congress to create a central database of those records. I know FFLs who have seen the warehouse. It looks... like a warehouse. Not a computer screen.

The type of weapon that is "registered" are NFA weapons. Every machine gun or SBR or SBS manufacturerd is registered with the Federal government.
========
Shade's Landing Inc. FirearmsAndLiberty.com ShadesLanding.com
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
Over 9,000 citizens trained to arms since 2003
========
shadeslanding

Postby 1911fan on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:54 am

WIth all that said, because there is this pesky MN statute (which I can not find at the moment,) which says something about it being illegal to sell a gun to someone you know is prohibited and/or likely to use the gun in a crime in the next year, most of the people here on the board have developed the process of a bill of sale and show and tell with the buyers or sellers DL and permit to purchase or carry.

There are several versions floating around here, but the basic one is

Bill of Sale.

Make
Model
description,
serial number

seller details.

I am not prohibited from selling or owning under mn or fed law. buyer has id'd himself with DL and PTP, PTC, and therefore is legal to buy this weapon. I declare I am the legal owner of this gun at the time of sale. signature.

buyers details

I am not prohibited from buying or owning under mn or fed law. seller has id'd himself with DL and PTP, PTC, and therefore is legal to sell this weapon. I declare I am the legal buyer of this gun at the time of sale. signature.
1911fan

Next

Return to General Gun Chat