ATF to Require Multiple Sales Reports for Long Guns

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

ATF to Require Multiple Sales Reports for Long Guns

Postby westberg on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:34 pm

ATF to Require Multiple
Sales Reports for Long Guns

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is moving to require federally licensed firearms retailers to report multiple sales of modern sporting rifles beginning Jan. 5, 2011. Specifically, the ATF requirement calls for firearms retailers to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two or more .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine and are purchased by the same individual within five consecutive business days.

http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-require- ... long-guns/
westberg

Re: ATF to Require Multiple Sales Reports for Long Guns

Postby David on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Great. One more list that I'll be going on...
David

Postby ex-LT on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Once again, the NRA is a step (or two) behind in alerting their members. Hell, they don't even have anything other than a link to the Washington Post story.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby westberg on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:05 pm

David wrote:Great. One more list that I'll be going on...

David I'm surprised your not bumping into a G-man everytime you turn around. :lol: :lol:
westberg

Postby David on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is one. I have my suspicions anyway.
David

Postby westberg on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:09 pm

David wrote:I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is one. I have my suspicions anyway.

That's a good plan keep her close, at least if they pick you up it will be by someone good looking and not a big ol thug.
westberg

Postby photogpat on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Out of curiosity (not looking for flames) - why do we object to this? I know what its for...and I don't agree that the Mexican Hat Dance going on down there is our fault...

But wouldn't it be easy enough to explain if confronted by the ATF? I have to imagine if they saw 15 AR's being purchased in a month -- you'd get looked at a lot more than someone buying an M1, an 870 and a couple of Mosins...just sayin'.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:52 pm

photogpat wrote:Out of curiosity (not looking for flames) - why do we object to this?

You ever play Mass Effect? When the Reapers come, you don't want your name written down anywhere.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby goalie on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Heffay wrote:
photogpat wrote:Out of curiosity (not looking for flames) - why do we object to this?

You ever play Mass Effect? When the Reapers come, you don't want your name written down anywhere.

Not everyone plays video games you know. Some of us even got laid in the 80's....

:mrgreen:
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Heffay on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:17 pm

goalie wrote:
Heffay wrote:

Not everyone plays video games you know. Some of us even got laid in the 80's....

:mrgreen:

You can have sex in video games too you know!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby autobahn on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:29 pm

So if you plan to buy multiple firearms, buy them a week apart. No list, then. Am I understanding right?
autobahn

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:26 pm

autobahn wrote:So if you plan to buy multiple firearms, buy them a week apart. No list, then. Am I understanding right?

Yes. Same goes for handguns, at least in Minnesota. But it isn't really "a list", but an additional form that has to be submitted to the ATF and the Sheriff. They are looking for a pattern over a long period of time, especially in buying the same model over and over again. Just one of these wouldn't send up a red flag.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:29 pm

autobahn wrote:So if you plan to buy multiple firearms, buy them a week apart. No list, then. Am I understanding right?

Correct so it would be like handguns are now. Goes by when you pick it up not when it gets to your FFL so unless you are buying a bunch it would not matter from that respect.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Heffay on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Squib Joe wrote: They are looking for a pattern over a long period of time, especially in buying the same model over and over again. Just one of these wouldn't send up a red flag.

Yeah... I'm surprised David doesn't have an ATF branch office working out of his house. ;)
Heffay

Postby David on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Hef, they're in a white van down the street. It says "Xcel" on it. Normally I wouldn't be paranoid, but that transformer seems to have needed service every day for the last three years.

I thought you might be an agent at first, but the first time we went shooting I saw the glazed look and the drool trail, and it's hard to fake that. Plus, I knew your wife before you two even met, and I know she'd never go for some mamby-pamby government type. You'd never be able to afford her on a G-man salary!
David

Return to General Gun Chat