Bankruptcy & My Guns

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Bankruptcy & My Guns

Postby hammAR on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:08 pm

S. 3654: Protecting Gun Owners in Bankruptcy Act of 2010

Jul 27, 2010: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

Sponsors
Sen. Patrick Leahy [D-VT]
Cosponsors:
Michael Crapo [R-ID]
Russell Feingold [D-WI]
Blanche Lincoln [D-AR]
Harry Reid [D-NV]
Jim Webb [D-VA]
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Greg on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:18 pm

I would assume that they would come under the personal property exemption. When my brother filed a few years ago he didn't have to get rid of any guns.
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby ijosef on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Well, if you sold them to an individual for the same prices that a pawn shop or gun store would give you, it would be sweetheart deal for that lucky person.

I'm sorry you have to file for bankruptcy protection; best luck to you in turning over a new leaf.
ijosef

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:24 am

Greg wrote:I would assume that they would come under the personal property exemption. When my brother filed a few years ago he didn't have to get rid of any guns.

As I understand it, you can choose either the Federal rules or the Minnesota rules for what's exempt, and the Federal rules are used more often (I'm guessing because they have a broader personal property exemption), but we're going with the MN rules because they'll allow us to keep the equity in our house.
Pat Cannon

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 am

My personal condolences for your problems. If we're talking a lowball offer at pawnshop rates, I could probably buy them off you and keep them in my gun safe until times were better and you wanted to buy them back for the same price. I think I've shot both guns, but I'm not a revolver kind of guy, particularly in that puny 357 Mag caliber, so I'm not likely to form much of an emotional attachment to them. Plus I got no reloading dies in that caliber. This is a serious offer.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Pezhead on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:30 am

I was thinking along the lines of what Seismic Sam said. You could maybe "sell" them to someone and when times get better "buy" them back.
Pezhead

Postby jweiss on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Pezhead wrote:I was thinking along the lines of what Seismic Sam said. You could maybe "sell" them to someone and when times get better "buy" them back.

I would 2nd that sounds like a good legal way 2 do it, Good luck!!!!
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Postby DeanC on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:22 pm

You still would need to go get an estimate from a dealer. Otherwise, regardless of price, it can look like a less than arms length deal.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:As I understand it, you can choose either the Federal rules or the Minnesota rules for what's exempt, and the Federal rules are used more often (I'm guessing because they have a broader personal property exemption), but we're going with the MN rules because they'll allow us to keep the equity in our house.

Seems like you're 100% correct:

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby hunter722 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 pm

A bit off the direct subject, but I watched the video and it struck me as pretty good proof that there's something wrong with the way the system works. The lawyer mentioned trying to make sure that things like your boat and your snowmobile were protected and that you could keep them. Gee, it seems to me that if you're going through bankruptcy the non-essential things are the ones that should be the first to go.

Guess I was born too long ago to make sense out of the way things happen nowdays.
hunter722

Postby DeanC on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Pat, have you tried this?

Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:My personal condolences for your problems. If we're talking a lowball offer at pawnshop rates, I could probably buy them off you and keep them in my gun safe until times were better and you wanted to buy them back for the same price. ... This is a serious offer.

Pezhead wrote:I was thinking along the lines of what Seismic Sam said. You could maybe "sell" them to someone and when times get better "buy" them back.

Thanks guys, I'll keep it in mind but I gotta be careful of the law.

DeanC wrote:You still would need to go get an estimate from a dealer. Otherwise, regardless of price, it can look like a less than arms length deal.

Yep, that's in the works.
DeanC wrote:Pat, have you tried this?

I think you have to say it three times. Or maybe that's for a divorce.
Pat Cannon

Postby 1911fan on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:10 pm

Pat

I do believe everyone here who knows seismic would go to court to say this was an up and up sale with a reserve clause. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am surprised that at least your carry gun can not be exempted under a personal protection clause.
1911fan

Postby Dave Pendleton on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Sorry about your predicament.

I think the best remedy has already been suggested. Sell them to someone with the agreement that you will be buying them back. Unless they (the State) have absolute authority over the terms of the sale, I can't see anything illegal with that.

Kind-of like pawning them to a private buyer. Just find someone you trust and make the deal.
Dave Pendleton

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Get an estimate from a dealer AND a pawn shop. I would think the pawn shop will give you a lower estimate, but I'm no expert on this. Then again, maybe Gander Molehill will try to screw you the most on used gun prices.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat