More Gander Gun Price Silliness

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

More Gander Gun Price Silliness

Postby dleong on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:49 pm

So a good friend was seriously considering ordering an FNX-40 handgun out of the latest CDNN catalog, but wanted to actually handle one before taking the plunge. We decided to bop on down to the Lakeville Gander Mountain store this evening to see if they had one there to look at. No joy, but while there, I noticed that they had taken their "MSRP-Plus" pricing policy on handguns to a new and completely absurd level.

1. A new CZ 97B, with an MSRP of $778, was priced at $1074.

2. A new Hi-Point JCP 40S&W, with an MSRP OF $200, was priced at---are you ready for this?--$450!!! :shock:

And let's not forget about their used Glocks which were priced at or above what one can get them for new elsewhere. I guess people must be paying these ludicrous prices for guns at Gander, or they would not still be in the business of selling them.
dleong

Re: More Gander Gun Price Silliness

Postby gyrfalcon on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Hey now, watch the libel!!! It's not MSRP+, it's what the market demands. :lol:
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Rodentman on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 pm

I note that Gouger Mt has removed all their reloading stuff. They told me they are "changing things around" and will be getting that line back in, not that I'll be buying anything there. The powder prices are approaching double what John charges.
Rodentman

Postby CZscout on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm

That sounds just about right for Gander. It seems like everything in the guns and ammo dept. is 5-20% higher pricing than else wear.

The only time I go to Gander is when I get a gift card....other than that, it's gun shows, Cabelas and Fleet Farm.

I know they need to make a profit and they are a good MN company, but C'mon Gander.
CZscout

Postby gyrfalcon on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Rodentman wrote:I note that Gouger Mt has removed all their reloading stuff. They told me they are "changing things around" and will be getting that line back in, not that I'll be buying anything there. The powder prices are approaching double what John charges.

Are you talking about Lakeville? I though they still had reloading components...expensive reloading components. :(
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby dleong on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:24 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:Are you talking about Lakeville? I though they still had reloading components...expensive reloading components. :(

I noticed too that they (the Lakeville store) no longer stocked reloading supplies. One of the sales associates mentioned that all of their reloading stuff had been returned to their warehouse in preparation for a store remodelling, and would be back on the shelves thereafter. At higher prices too, I'll bet.
dleong

Postby thunderoussilence on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Gunstop for reloading, Thunderjohn for my weapons.
thunderoussilence

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:25 am

I don't know - being OLDER THAN TOOTSIE, I have to schedule a colonoscopy, and I thought it might be cheaper to just buy a used Gander Molehill pistol....

(Thankfully, there is no smiley for this....)
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby catalyst686 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:52 am

No kidding, Gander has the most redic prices I have ever seen, I was there last week and saw a Glock 17 for $659.00. I feel bad for the people I see purchasing their firearms there.
catalyst686

Postby shackleford on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:14 am

My biggest beef with Gander isn't the pricing, which is horrific, but the terrible way the store is managed. I have been going to the Lakeville store for years, and to this day stuff is disorganized, in the wrong place, and a LOT of stuff isn't priced. Any retail manager worth their salt would not let basic stuff like this slide. The Eden Prairie store is hands down the nicest, best run Gander I have been to, so someone in the chain has a grasp on the concept. As far as pricing goes, I stopped even looking at ammo there a while back when the WWB .40 was going for around $35/50.
shackleford

Postby Heffay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 am

I picked up some .308 ammo at Gander in Faketown (aka Arbor Lakes aka Maple Grove) about 4 years back. 400 rounds per case, in bandoleers with stripper clips, for $70 a case. I bought 3 of them, and am still beating myself up to this day for not buying the whole pallet. :cry:
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby dleong on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:08 am

The irony is that Gander, prior to their corporate reshuffle a few years back, used to offer some of the most competitive prices on firearms. Back in '04 or thereabouts, I purchased a couple of new CZ 40Bs from their Bloomington store for $250 apiece, and then a new CZ 40P for $300. Mail order prices then didn't even come close.

Now of course, Gander seems to think their firearms are gilded in gold and studded with diamond highlights...
dleong

Postby dcwn.45 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 am

While I would not buy a new gun from them anymore [though a few years ago I got a Taurus .38 snubby for a great price]
you have to give Gander MT kudos for their support of Pheasants Forever, when you renew you get a $10, and a $20 gift card.
dcwn.45

Postby photogpat on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:36 am

Their ammo prices are beyond ridiculous. The 100ct WWB .45 is still $59.99....the same thing at Wally World is $36.99 or even less....and Federal Champion is $15.97/50 at Wally, and $24.99 at Gander.

Every time I've asked about the ammo prices, I get the same sarcastic answer -- "We stock it, they don't...why don't you just go buy it there!"
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby afossum on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:46 am

I'm new to all this, but todate Fleet Farm has had the best price that I have found on 9mm. The only place I have found so
far online is USAammo. Most others (online) can't beat FF
Sat. I stopped by Walmart in Apple Valley and there price seemed about the same as FF. Gander was something like $7.00 more for a box of 100.
The search continues :D

Al
afossum

Next

Return to General Gun Chat