Got my PTP today, but...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Got my PTP today, but...

Postby BWinger on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 pm

They got my first name wrong! Apparently, someone mixed up a couple letters and I'll have to make a call tomorrow to see what I need to do to get it fixed. I'm really hoping it's just something they can reprint with the correct spelling (it's actually a different name altogether with the way it's spelled out) and not something that will require extreme effort on my part. Or worse, somebody thinking I'm commiting some kind of fraud in order to get a handgun!
BWinger

Re: Got my PTP today, but...

Postby 1911fan on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:11 am

BWinger wrote:They got my first name wrong! Apparently, someone mixed up a couple letters and I'll have to make a call tomorrow to see what I need to do to get it fixed. I'm really hoping it's just something they can reprint with the correct spelling (it's actually a different name altogether with the way it's spelled out) and not something that will require extreme effort on my part. Or worse, somebody thinking I'm commiting some kind of fraud in order to get a handgun!

I would say it depends on the PD that issued it. If they did the research on you, and not the mythical person they issued it to, it would seem to be only require a reprint. If they screwed up from the gitgo, it might take a couple of days.
1911fan

Postby dcam on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:56 am

Probably just a typo that can hopefully be remedied by stopping in with the permit and your d/l, and the receipt from your paperwork. (when I did mine I also made backup copies of everything for myself in case of some sort of snafu)
Oh, did you get in in the mail, which of the you's was it addressed to?
dcam

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:01 am

So how did they screw up your name?? Are you "Boner" instead of BWinger?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby BWinger on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:42 am

Seismic Sam wrote:So how did they screw up your name?? Are you "Boner" instead of BWinger?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well the permit reads "Byron" insead of Bryon. What was my mother thinking? Itwas also addressed to the fictitious Byron as well, so I'm not sure where the problem is. They open in 20 minutes so I should know soon.
BWinger

Postby DeanC on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 am

Admit it, you're really a poet at heart.

Last edited by DeanC on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby nosualc on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:26 am

I feel your pain. My first name is spelled Jon. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to have it corrected. Most times I let it go, but there are times you need it to be correct (such as yours).

I've often mused that on my death bed, I'll figure up all the time I spent in my life correcting that little technicality, and it'd add up to several days wasted.

Mom wanted to be different. It was the 60's after all.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Postby BWinger on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:34 am

Fortunately it ended up being an error on the issuing end of things so I won't have to wait for another background check. They said it was fumbling fingers and that I should have a new one in the mail soon.
BWinger

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 am

Yeh the name thing can drive you nuts sometimes. My name is actually Larry not Lawrence which I though was smart on my parents part until I went in the service. Arghhhh can't count the number of times someone handed something back to me telling me I have to use my full name.

SO, just to get even with anyone I named my son Kris Jon :twisted:

Also know another Lary (yes changed to 1 R legally) who named is son Geoff.

Talk about sons suffering from the sins of the fathers
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

BWinger wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:So how did they screw up your name?? Are you "Boner" instead of BWinger?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well the permit reads "Byron" insead of Bryon. What was my mother thinking? Itwas also addressed to the fictitious Byron as well, so I'm not sure where the problem is. They open in 20 minutes so I should know soon.

Monty Python presents the epic movie, the Life of Bryon!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ranger01 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 pm

They Bryon/ Byron thing reminds me of when my best friend tried to join the ANG. When he went to get his birth certificate he found out that the name on his birth certificate is Bryon, when everything else (SSC, DL, etc.) is Byron. Oh, did I mention he is dyslexic, not related to the name difference, just makes it funnier/ more ironic. :lol:
Ranger01

Return to General Gun Chat