UPDATE 3/30/2012: Movement to repeal silencer ban

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

UPDATE 3/30/2012: Movement to repeal silencer ban

Postby Cadet on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Update 3/30/2012
In 2011, lawmakers in Kansas, Michigan, Missouri and Washington state approved measures allowing the personal ownership of suppressors for the first time, bringing the current number of states that allow private ownership to 39. It remains against the law to own suppressors in California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois Iowa, Mass., Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. This year ... Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Oklahoma, and Texas are considering measures that would permit hunters to use silencers on their firearms." (Absher, J.R., "Suppressing Tradition" North American Hunter, April/May 2012) "Under the banner of the American Silencer Association (ASA)... Advanced Armament Corp., Gemtech and Silencerco/SWR" (Absher, J.R., "Suppressing Tradition" North American Hunter, April/May 2012) have united to fight for our silencer rights. This Nonprofit is one of if not the largest silencer rights non-profits in the USA, and represents, at this time, our best source for lobbying against our archaic silencer ban laws. On the ASA website they state that there objectives are:

ASA OBJECTIVES

RAISE PUBLIC AWARENESS
We strive to raise public awareness about the benefits and uses of silencers through a comprehensive public awareness campaign that utilizes both electronic and print media.

CHANGE HUNTING REGULATIONS
We will continue to work with state wildlife agencies to affect hunting regulatory change. Currently there are 20 states where silencers are legal to own, but not legal for game hunting. Kansas was recently approved at the end of 2011, and Texas legislation is currently being debated. Learn more about the laws in your state.

CHANGE STATE LEGISLATION
We will continue to work with state legislators to change the silencer legalities in their respective states. Minnesota, Vermont and Iowa are currently the ASA’s top priority states. Learn how you can make a difference.

FIX PROBLEMS WITHIN THE NFA
There is an excess of 26,000 Form 4 Applications in backlog at the NFA Branch. This represents $5.2 million in potential revenue. Currently there are only 9 full time examiners and one borrowed examiner sifting through this stack of potential silencer customers. We seek to institute an electronic database system for manufacturers entering Form 2s and instant Form 3 Approval. We want to push for the NFA to hire more examiners with tax revenue that is generated by the NFA.

BOOST MEMBERSHIP
We will continue to recruit manufacturers, distributors, dealers and general membership from the silencer owning community to form a solid organizational base. Learn more about becoming an ASA member and start supporting the cause today.

If you are truly serious about trying to change our laws, I would suggest joining the ASA, its 35$ for a one year membership.

For further info, please go to http://americansilencerassociation.com/about/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post.
Now that we have people willing to standup for our gun rights in positions of power in this state, namely steve drakowski and tony cornish who were the state reps who proposed an end to the unnecesary mn gun purchase law to the health last week, I think we should try to get them to repeal the silencer ban staute.
please send steve drakowski an email at rep.steve.drazkowski@house.mn.
I put this as my topic for my email, I suggest you use this or something similar: Statute 609.66, Subdivision 1a,Point 1 (Bans on firearm supressors/silencers) NEEDS TO BE REPEALED!
put this in the text along with your message:
Statute 609.66
Subd. 1a. Felony crimes; silencers prohibited; reckless discharge. (a) Except as otherwise
provided in subdivision 1h, whoever does any of the following is guilty of a felony and may be
sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
(1) sells or has in possession any device designed to silence or muffle the discharge of
a firearm;

Thanks for your support!
Last edited by Cadet on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Re: Movement to repeal silencer ban

Postby whiteox on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Email sent.
whiteox

Postby JJ on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 pm

I'll get an email sent but, good luck with Cornish. I was heavily involved with the proceedings to legalize the use of artificial lights for predator hunting at night. Cornish single-handedly killed the proposal in committee for two years. And he was the legislator that killed the use of centerfire cartridges in the final bill.

The hard part is going to be overcoming the perception that they would be used for poaching game. Especially considering the ban was an anti-poaching prevention.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Cadet on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 pm

yeah Ive heard bad things about him previousley, which is why I didnt post his email.
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Postby White Horseradish on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 am

JJH wrote:The hard part is going to be overcoming the perception that they would be used for poaching game. Especially considering the ban was an anti-poaching prevention.
This was a concern back in 1963?
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:15 am

I took part. I also sent to Rep Sarah Anderson, who has been pro-gun. Also sent it to Sen. Terri Bonoff, who I'm sure will probably tell me to go fly a kite.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby RobD on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:27 am

This was brought up at the GOCRA meeting, and is in the works.

Until a willing author of a bill is found, it's not wise to start pushing your reps on the matter. Especially the antis.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 am

White Horseradish wrote:
JJH wrote:The hard part is going to be overcoming the perception that they would be used for poaching game. Especially considering the ban was an anti-poaching prevention.
This was a concern back in 1963?

Actually IIRC the MN ban came about back in the 30's or 40's.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby White Horseradish on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 am

JJH wrote:Actually IIRC the MN ban came about back in the 30's or 40's.

1963 is what I got from reading the revisor website. It's possible they just don't have the older laws on the web, though. 1963 was the year of a sweeping revision of the Minnesota code and the silencer ban was included. Silencer possession wasn't a felony then, though. It only got you 90 days and a $100 fine.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby afossum on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 am

Okay, at the risk of getting flamed I have to ask. What is the need/use of a silencer?

Al
afossum

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 am

afossum wrote:Okay, at the risk of getting flamed I have to ask. What is the need/use of a silencer?

Al

That's like asking whats the need/use of a gun itself. Or a "high cap mag".

Additionally in much or Europe silencers are required for hunting. I'd love to take a shot, and watch the deer run towards me because they heard the shot over their head, instead of from my stand.
JJ

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 am

afossum wrote:Okay, at the risk of getting flamed I have to ask. What is the need/use of a silencer?

Al

Safety devise. Reduces hearing loss. Really is not a silencer as the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier can not be silenced. Just suppresses sound. More peacful enjoyment of neigbors next to hunting areas. Etc...
Holland&Holland

Postby afossum on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:46 am

JJH wrote:

Al

That's like asking whats the need/use of a gun itself. Or a "high cap mag".

Just the kind of response I was expecting I guess.
afossum

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:55 am

afossum wrote:Just the kind of response I was expecting I guess.

Wasn't trying to flame, just sayin. A suppressor is a tool no different than a firearm itself. They are heavily restricted by the ATF. Before you can take possesion of one, you have to fill out a ATF form 1 on and pay your $200 tax stamp. Here in MN we can get an SBR which is subject to the same restrictions.
JJ

Postby White Horseradish on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:09 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Safety devise. Reduces hearing loss. Really is not a silencer as the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier can not be silenced. Just suppresses sound. More peacful enjoyment of neigbors next to hunting areas. Etc...

In terms of hunting, that's correct. There isn't a whole lot of silencing, but the sound near the gun (where your ears are) is suppressed. So yeah, hearing protection. Incidentally, MN Code requires offroad motorcycles to have silencers for the same reason.

Also, a suppressor eliminates muzzle flash making followup shots in low light easier.

With pistols suppressors are more effective because of slower bullets - many pistol rounds are subsonic. This is kinda useless for carry because a suppressor makes a pistol rather large and hard to conceal, but in a home defense scenario it would be nice to be able to defend yourself without blowing out your eardrums. Shots in enclosed spaces quite literally hurt your ears.

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Next

Return to General Gun Chat