'Celebratory gunfire' injures 5-year-old boy in his bedroom

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

'Celebratory gunfire' injures 5-year-old boy in his bedroom

Postby rucker on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:14 pm

Apparently in Tucson they never learned about shooting in a safe direction or, for that matter, about gravity. :roll:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/72973.php

A 5-year-old boy was hit by a bullet that came through the roof of his bedroom in a house in the 1000 block of East 24th Street early Tuesday, police said.

It came from "celebratory gunfire" between midnight and 1 a.m., said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco, a spokesman.
In another incident, a slug came through the roof of a kitchen in a house in the 1900 block of West Riverview Drive at midnight but did not hit anyone, he said.

No one was arrested.

"Every year, random gunfire on New Year's Eve is a major concern for us," Pacheco said.

A bullet can travel as far as two miles in the air, he said, and "what goes up must come down."

In falling from the sky, it can achieve a velocity of 700 feet a second, Pacheco said.

"Luckily, the bullet had slowed considerably going through the roof and ceiling in the little (boy's) bedroom," he said.
The boy, who was struck behind his right ear, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and released, Pacheco said.

"While we understand that people enjoy having guns and firing them, we encourage them to shoot in a safe environment like any of the shooting ranges," Pacheco said.

Firing a weapon into the air is illegal, and, depending on what happens when a bullet lands, any number of citations can be issued, including for aggravated assault, he said.
rucker

Re: 'Celebratory gunfire' injures 5-year-old boy in his bedroom

Postby justaguy on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:04 pm

I had a friend that was from I think Flint Michigan (it was right around Detroit). He said that on the holidays you would be amazed how many people fired into the air, and at times it would hit random people. He didn’t speak highly of the place he came from.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby hammAR on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:41 pm

justaguy wrote:I had a friend that was from I think Flint Michigan (it was right around Detroit). He said that on the holidays you would be amazed how many people fired into the air, and at times it would hit random people. He didn’t speak highly of the place he came from.

Aw, come on, Flint is 90 miles from Detroit...........must have been a 155........ ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby jac714 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm

hammAR wrote:
justaguy wrote:I had a friend that was from I think Flint Michigan (it was right around Detroit). He said that on the holidays you would be amazed how many people fired into the air, and at times it would hit random people. He didn’t speak highly of the place he came from.

Aw, come on, Flint is 90 miles from Detroit...........must have been a 155........ ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

90 miles, hell not even a 16"/205 cal Naval Rifle will go that far. However, Tomahawk T-LAM-C (N :twisted: if you really want to do significant damage) thats the answer for that distance. I suppose you could use a T-ASM but it is better suited to killing ships. :D :o

:flag: :flag: :flag: :salute: :hartman:
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby hammAR on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:07 pm

jac714 wrote:
hammAR wrote:

90 miles, hell not even a 16"/205 cal Naval Rifle will go that far. However, Tomahawk T-LAM-C (N :twisted: if you really want to do significant damage) thats the answer for that distance. I suppose you could use a T-ASM but it is better suited to killing ships. :D :o

:flag: :flag: :flag: :salute: :hartman:

Look, it was a joke OK squid.............I'm not artillery, never have been, never want to be, just a ground pounding see the hill take the hill effen grunt...............and IF you keep using the hartman you too will feel, never mind this is a family oriented site.....no need to describe it, you will know it when you feel it................ :D
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby jac714 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:14 pm

hammAR wrote:Look, it was a joke OK squid.............I'm not artillery, never have been, never want to be, just a ground pounding see the hill take the hill effen grunt...............and IF you keep using the hartman you too will feel, never mind this is a family oriented site.....no need to describe it, you will know it when you feel it................ :D

:o :shock: :didntdoit: :didntdoit: :didntdoit: Just yankin your chain Gunny :hide:

You wouldn't want to hurt me, I'd cry and you would (hopefully) feel bad. :D :o

:salute: :salute: :flag: :flag:

:hartman: :bolt: :bolt:
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Ramoel on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:21 pm

This is an every year thing here in Tucson and basically the whole southwest. Easy to tell when it's midnight on New Year's Eve because of all the gunfire. I'm always waiting to hear a bullet hit the roof of my RV but so far it hasn't happened.

They are always telling people on the radio and TV not to fire guns in the air but it's like the middle east, they seem to get their jollies by firing into the air. Someone seems to be hurt almost every year. I don't recall ever hearing of any deaths in this area over all the years we've been down here on New Year's, just some minor injuries.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Return to General Gun Chat