any miracle shots out there?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: any miracle shots out there?

Postby traveler on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Ten years old and sitting in a ditch with a friend. We were using straws to shoot peas at passing cars, all without success of any kind. Quite obviously we did not know much about "leading" at the time.

A slow moving vehicle approached and both of us blew our brains out forcing the peas from the straws at the highest velocity possible.

A direct hit, through the open passenger window, across the interior of the car, directly to the driver.

The vehicle just happened to be a beautiful 1958 Ford, white and yellow Roseville police stationwagon.
Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
traveler

Postby tullibee on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 pm

not mine, but a good story of a buddy in college. he hadn't been shooting before, so my roomie and I took him and roomies girlfriend out to a local gravel pit for some good ole 10/22 shooting. we set a few pop cans on a board and give them a quick course on the basics. when we hand Deano the rifle he takes careful aim and fires. talk about a near miss! the middle pop can trembles and tips over - leaning up against the can next to it. we are all astounded of course. then he lines up for a second shot - another near miss - this time standing the middle can back upright! we call ceasefire and go inspect the can - barely a mark on it right along the top rim. the first shot just tickled it on the tangent and tipped it over. second shot just caused enough wind suction to pull it away from the other can to stand it back up.

and yes, we tried to do it again... of course we didn't even come close again!

brother pulled off a great shot on a red squirrel. little bugger was about 90' up in about a 95' red pine. tree is about 60 yards uphill from us. single shot .22 bolt (Remington I think!) open sights. squirrel is trotting along the branch quartering away from us. he whips up the gun and fires. squirrel drops with hole thru the ear!
tullibee

Postby Viseprints on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

If one shoots enough, over time he'll make some amazing shots just based on percentages. One I remember happened one August day in the '60's (yeah, a long time ago). I was plowing govt. ground/set aside acres which had been seeded with oats. We couldn't harvest the oats but could plow it under as "green manure." Anyhow, a fox ran out of the waist-high oats ahead of the tractor and headed across the plowed ground toward a creek bed. I grabbed the old style Ruger .22 revolver from the tool box, pushed in the foot clutch of the tractor to stop it, and proceeded to head shoot the running fox at a distance of 40-50 yds. with one shot. Pure luck.
Viseprints

Postby Cadet on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:57 pm

I got my dad one of the new "silenced" pellet rifles for his 50th bday so he could shoot crows, pigeons and such in the city, first shot he was sitting on out deck and took out a midflight pigeon.
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Postby rtk on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 pm

I made a head shot in IDPA once. :(
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Thunderjohn on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:11 pm

I hit the broadside of a barn once.
Yes, I was inside the barn.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby Grandpa Rex on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Had an "air gun" as a kid. Built like a lever action red rider but no mechanism for BBs. Just a thump when you fired it.

Unscrewed the cover off the barrel, stuck it in the mud, and launched the clod into my sister's ear at about 7 yards.

Never saw the gun again.
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Postby tullibee on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

LOL Older sister or younger? did she kick your butt in addition to gun your rights getting revoked?

Grandpa Rex wrote:Had an "air gun" as a kid. Built like a lever action red rider but no mechanism for BBs. Just a thump when you fired it.

Unscrewed the cover off the barrel, stuck it in the mud, and launched the clod into my sister's ear at about 7 yards.

Never saw the gun again.
tullibee

Postby Tommy Gun on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 pm

When I was a youngster, I had my Daisy out in the backyard when I spotted a wasp on the trunk of a tree. I checked the wind, took careful aim and fired. I hit it dead center. Unfortunately, the "it" was the basement window. The miracle? My mom didn't kill me. :lol:
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby Countryfried Frank on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:31 am

Not quite a miracle but still noteworthy;
When my wife and I were still dating we went to visit her parents in South Dakota. Her dad, a grain elevator manager was sitting out back when we got there shooting blackbirds out of the tree with an ancient .177 break-action air rifle and missing most. We sat down out back to enjoy a chilled beverage and chat for a bit but it didn't take long for me to get the itch. I asked how the sights were and in fine father-in-law (almost) fashion I got an 'uuhhh' as a answer. Obviously a city kid like me can't understand air rifles too well. A couple sips of chilled beverage later I couldn't take it anymore and asked to take a shot. He loaded the dang air rifle for me. I almost said something but I got the look from the soon-to-be Mrs. that every married guy knows and zipped my lip. He handed the air rifle to me after a lengthy explanation of "this is where you put that finger..." and I took my shot. The blackbird didn't move. As I was breathing a sigh of relief that I had minded the look from my fiance' and hadn't boasted about my 'skillz wit anythin that shoots' the blackbird obediently keeled over and fell to the ground with a neat little divot (not even a hole with that air rifle) right behind its eye. I cleared the rifle, engaged the safety and handed it back with the observation that, "Sights ain't bad." This was the first step in my earning the nickname "Countryfried".
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby nosualc on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:45 pm

25 years ago, deer hunting, dropped a flying bird @ 40 yds with a single shotgun slug.

For a variety of reasons, I'll never try that again. Amazing, but stupid.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Postby timwarner on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Ahrens and I were shooting bolt guns at OGC, I think he had some WSM round, I forget what it was.
He was holding 2" @ 100. Had me try it out(I don't shoot much other than 5.56 and .243). First and only shot took out the X in the x ring.

I forgot about that til I read this thread, I'll have to give him crap again.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby user293 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:28 pm

2 squirrels were in the back yard a couple falls ago, (well i only noticed 1) so i shot the one closest to me with the .22. it dropped dead so i started walking out there (about 50 yards) and then another one behind the dead one starts flailing around and flails into the woods behind the yard and dies. 2 squirrels, 1 shot.
TommyMN wrote:This site is full of dicks. It's why I like it.
user293

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat