Crimson Trace Help

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Crimson Trace Help

Postby Troops2990 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 am

I need help with my Crimson Trace sights.. I bought these a few months ago from a member here, i installed them and they looked great, I put the gun away until a few days ago when i finally got around to shooting it. it was daytime so i turned the sights off since they are useless in the sunlight and fired through about 100 rds. After i was done shooting the laser is no longer clear, it looks all speckled and no longer clear (please see photos below), i attempted to clean them with a q-tip and it didn't change anything. I am hoping somebody knows whats going on with them, is the battery dieing or something?? I just think its kind of weird that they were fine until i fired the gun and now they are messed up. Thanks for your input.
Attachments
IMG_20110427_022743.jpg
IMG_20110427_022649.jpg
Troops2990

Re: Crimson Trace Help

Postby solidgun on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:01 am

Two things:

Were you shooting lead round nose or particularly dirty ammunition?
How much lubricant do you apply to your firearm?

The particles off these may have fouled the lens. Also, while the unit is fairly durable, any type of lens should not be cleaned with cotton swabs as they are very abrasive. And cleaning it dry will damage the lens and not really get it cleaned. It shouldn't matter on these tough units as they are not optics. You can use a little bit of windex to dissolve the dried on items.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Troops2990 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 am

i was shooting jacketed round noses. thanks for the reply, i will try to clean it with some windex since i just used a dry q-tip last time and very lightly rubbed on it. the firearm should not have had a lot of lube on it since i cleaned it, put it away for 6 months and then brought it out and shot it, but i always just leave a thin layer of oil on all the moving parts.
Troops2990

Postby monschman on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 am

This is normal. Keep the lens as clean a you can. They are recessed and can be tough to clean the splatter is light diffusion on the paint on your wall. I wouldn't worry too much.
monschman

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 am

Should have come with little cutip like cleaners that fit perfectly. My 45 does that a lot while my CZ 9mm never does. Of course it will NOW.

Actual instructions in the manual say to use isopropyl alcohol or window cleaner on cotton swab or included cleaning tools and dry with clean swab.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 am

Couple of things: If the gun was in a case where the activation pad was being pressed on, the batteries could be worn down. It sounds, however, like you may have some oil on the lens from the way you describe you oiled the gun, and you should use the little q-tip that came with the laser grips to clean it off with alcohol. I'm sure Crimson Trace sells extra q-tips.

The other thing is that IF you have some retro-reflective material (like a 6" x 6" piece of 3M Scotchlite) or a cheap reflective sign from Menard's, you CAN use your lasergrips in blazing sunlight, and I have shot my 50 GI at 100 yards using this method and can see the dot VERY clearly.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby DeanC on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am

monschman wrote: the splatter is light diffusion on the paint on your wall.

Very possible. I just bought a new purple laser pointer (because it was so cool and I want to be Mace Windu when I grow up) and it does that on walls, but when you point it at paper or something else it is a much smaller dot.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 1911fan on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 pm

First attempt at cleaning should just be air. dust gets in mine, and I have to blow it out once a month or so.
1911fan

Postby Troops2990 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 pm

awsome, thanks for all the help, i'll try your ideas and if they don't work, post back.
Troops2990

Postby Troops2990 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks for all the help, using the cleaning rod from them cleared it up good.
Troops2990

Return to General Gun Chat