Walmart resuming gun sales

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Walmart resuming gun sales

Postby nosualc on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:It is not like remingtons manufactured for walmart are any different than the ones they make for your local gun shop.

Don't be so sure. Probably not in this case, but it is very common for big retailers to negotiate special exclusive models (read "cost saved", or cheap) with manufacturers. Ever wonder why the seemingly identical Toro lawnmower at Home Depot is $75 less than the same one at your local power shop? Because they aren't the same thing. Buyer beware.

Walmart is a ruthless, efficient company who because of their size, has the power to set the rules of competition; locally and globally. The demise of small town economies, the shifting of labor to low cost locales, etc. Walmart certainly didn't cause cause these things to happen, but they certainly sped their arrival and reaped the benefit.

When does ruthless opportunism cross the line and become evil? Google "Walmart Rubbermaid"

Walmart will never get another $1 from me.

-nosualc

ps - sorry for the rant.
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Postby Ranger01 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:43 pm

The store in Bloomington will never get guns (according to Mgmt staff)... Were getting ammo very soon though. Also Walmart will match ANY price you find at another retailer (and sometimes better it).

(want to know more? just pm me)

I am the only person in sporting goods (at my store) who knows guns/ ammo, so when we do get it Ill let you know.

I actually today had a pretty good 20 min conversation with a couple customers about SL8 conversions, tannerite, and other gun stuff. (funny story about how it started hah)

By the way we have a ~$10 Winchester bipod if anyone wants to come buy it and shoot the breeze when I'm working next (Monday). That thing keeps coming back like a bad penny (we don't carry them in the store, and it keeps getting bounced around sporting goods because it has no actual place on the shelf).
Ranger01

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 pm

nosualc wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:It is not like remingtons manufactured for walmart are any different than the ones they make for your local gun shop.

Don't be so sure. Probably not in this case, but it is very common for big retailers to negotiate special exclusive models (read "cost saved", or cheap) with manufacturers. Ever wonder why the seemingly identical Toro lawnmower at Home Depot is $75 less than the same one at your local power shop? Because they aren't the same thing. Buyer beware.

Walmart is a ruthless, efficient company who because of their size, has the power to set the rules of competition; locally and globally. The demise of small town economies, the shifting of labor to low cost locales, etc. Walmart certainly didn't cause cause these things to happen, but they certainly sped their arrival and reaped the benefit.

When does ruthless opportunism cross the line and become evil? Google "Walmart Rubbermaid"

Walmart will never get another $1 from me.

-nosualc

ps - sorry for the rant.

Yes there are special runs for specific retailers of course, but a base 870 is a base 870.
Holland&Holland

Postby jweiss on Sun May 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Was in the Woodbury Wal-mart yesterday did'nt see any guns (except BB + softair)was in Sporting goods looking for a decoy bag for some Goose decoys I got at an estate sale.
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Postby JohnK87 on Tue May 03, 2011 6:51 pm

My understanding is that Bloomington city ordinance bans the retail sale of firearms. Don't have the source, but that is what one of the pawn shops told me- and that it was the reason that Burger Brothers closed down their 98th St location years back.

Wal-Mart does give their stores some leeway in what to carry- the Bloomington store just off 494 does not even carry ammunition, the Red Wing store has guns, the Woodbury store is the only place I've seen the 100 rd packs of .223.
JohnK87

Postby Ranger01 on Tue May 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Didn't the Burger Brothers become Gouger Mountain? I know that there was still a GM in Bloomington a year or so ago.
Ranger01

Postby EAJuggalo on Tue May 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Goose hill has been gone from that corner for longer than a year, there also was a holiday plus on lyndale where the cub is on 84th now and the bloomington wal mart used to sell guns. A friend of mine bought a shotgun there in about 1999.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby FredsBank on Tue May 03, 2011 9:15 pm

The guy selling ammo in the Eagan Walmart says they can't sell guns in the metro and the closest I would find a shotgun is Hastings.
FredsBank

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 04, 2011 6:48 am

JohnK87 wrote:My understanding is that Bloomington city ordinance bans the retail sale of firearms. Don't have the source, but that is what one of the pawn shops told me- and that it was the reason that Burger Brothers closed down their 98th St location years back.

Wal-Mart does give their stores some leeway in what to carry- the Bloomington store just off 494 does not even carry ammunition, the Red Wing store has guns, the Woodbury store is the only place I've seen the 100 rd packs of .223.

The city ordanances are on line and no the do not ban the sale of ammo in Bloomington. The do have a law on the books that the mayor can suspend the sale of guns and ammo (along with gas and other flamables) if a local disaster is called and while rush hours traffic on 494 is close I do not believe such has been enacted. The Walmart in Bloomington did carry ammo for many years until their remodel. The remodel was to one of their new store models that were intended to compete more directly with target. The model called for carring less items, wider isles, etc in other words Walmart light, looks like that model is not what they hoped it would be. This affected more than just sporting goods, many lines were simplified in this model, many of the old standby products that you might have gone to walmart for are not on the shelves in Bloomington.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 04, 2011 6:55 am

FredsBank wrote:The guy selling ammo in the Eagan Walmart says they can't sell guns in the metro and the closest I would find a shotgun is Hastings.

In my experiance, the guy selling ammo does not know jack. When Walmart quite selling guns in the metro, several employees I was purchasing items from, did not even know that they were not going to be selling them anymore and this was about 1 week before they were pulled (I was trying to see if there would be any clearance sales on them of course). So to state that they CAN'T seems a bit rediculous, no offense meant. They would have to comply with local ordanances of course, but there are many locations that did and could again. In addition, the report would appear to suggest that corporate may be rethinking there current strategy and I would not place a bet on the words of the guy selling ammo behind the counter in the Eagan Walmart.
Holland&Holland

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed May 04, 2011 7:12 am

He doesn't say who is preventing them from selling in the metro. I'm fairly sure it's a corporate decision. It's quite possible that the individual store managers and sporting goods managers would like to carry firearms and corporate is telling them that they can't.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 04, 2011 7:14 am

EAJuggalo wrote:He doesn't say who is preventing them from selling in the metro. I'm fairly sure it's a corporate decision. It's quite possible that the individual store managers and sporting goods managers would like to carry firearms and corporate is telling them that they can't.

Exactly, and the report would suggest that may be changing. I would content the guy he spoke with has no more knowledge on what corporate is doing than you or I.
Holland&Holland

Postby DeanC on Wed May 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Does Cambridge still have guns? I heard Walmart has the Savage Edge in .223 and .308 for $267 right now.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Scott Notaeh on Sun May 08, 2011 1:47 am

DeanC wrote:Does Cambridge still have guns? I heard Walmart has the Savage Edge in .223 and .308 for $267 right now.

Dean,

Cambridge walmart had guns for sale as of last weekend. Didn't look close enough to notice if they had that one in stock but they said they could order in most common things. They also were very well stocked with ammo including 250 round bulk packs of 9mm for a good price (that I can't seem to recall at the moment - - I think around $53 or so).
Scott Notaeh

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Both the Walmart in Hibbing, and Grand Rapids MN have guns. I've bought from both in the pass. Never had a problem. But now that the L&M Fleet Supply has their FFL they have become my new "Gun Store". I've bought several guns from them just because they have the best Prices...

Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm $349.99 (Back in 2010), current price $299.99
Taurus TCP $229.99
Ruger 22/45 $219.99
Hi Point 45ACP $179.99

These are the four handguns I've bought from them in the last year. I don't have the Hi Point anymore (sold to fund my XD tactical purchase). My next gun purchase will be from them. XD Sub Compact in .40S&W $469.99.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat