Rouge .357 air rifle

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Rouge .357 air rifle

Postby Joe Camo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:01 am

Interesting. Would like to shoot one, but don't think I'll be runnin' out to buy one of these anytime soon ... Rogue .357 Air Rifle

JC
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt
Joe Camo

Re: Rouge .357 air rifle

Postby engnerdan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:07 am

That is very cool, ugly looking gun but cool that it shoots such a big projectile and with decent speed.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby traveler on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 am

175 grains at 800 fps?

Why, I could drop a deer in my backya …

Never mind.

On sale at Cabela's you say?
Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
traveler

Postby dismal on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm

That looks fun. Though I'd have a hard time paying $1300 for an airgun.
dismal

Postby Heffay on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm

dismal wrote:That looks fun. Though I'd have a hard time paying $1300 for an airgun.

Think of the money you save on ammo though.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby DonT on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Big bore Airguns are fun. Although I have not shot this one I did have a 9mm Big Bore and it is amazing how much damage one of these can do.
Unfortunately, if you notice, they advertise is as getting 20 shots per fill "depending on the power setting".... What I found is that with most big bores you get 6-8 full power shots before you drain the pressure in the take below a useable limit. You typically know when this starts to happen as you start to Sting Shots on the target because you have less and less power.

Yes with a properly placed shot at close range you could punch a hole in both lungs on a deer and they would pump themselves dry in about 50 yards and tip over. Same principal as a muzzleloader with round balls.

As I said these take lotsa air, at minimum you would need one 80 cu ft. scuba tank to feed it two is better... Even though it has a "shroud" I am sure it is a little loud, my 9mm was. I stepped away from the big bores and went to a Marauder .25 cal. Not big enough for deet, but I don't hunt deer anymore anyhow, but lotsa a power ann 1/3 the price. Pretty quiet as well. Still needs a scuba take to fill it but I get triple the shots per fill and pellets are much much cheaper than .357 bullets.

If you ever get a chance to shoot a big bore air gun by all means give it a go, they are a hoot and much much more accurate than you would expect.

DonT
DonT
DonT

Postby Heffay on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Can you fill those tanks with a regular air compressor, or do you need special gear to refill? If so, how much does it run?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby engnerdan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Heffay wrote:Can you fill those tanks with a regular air compressor, or do you need special gear to refill? If so, how much does it run?

The general answer is you can not do it. They are filled around 2000psi. There is a device to take 100psi air from a standard compressor and run it up to 1500-2000psi but they are expensive and slow. That is why you get a scuba tank or 2 and just pay a couple dollars to get them filled when you need.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby DonT on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:30 pm

A regular air compressor will not do it. The scuba tanks hold 3,000psi or more (some carbon fiber tanks hold 4,500 psi). They do make special high pressure tanks that can fill them. But I have mine filled at the local dive shop. They charge about $7.00 a fill and for the tank and you get about 15 or 20 fills per tank. So it is pretty cheap.... There are High Pressure Bicycle type pumps but I am in such good shape I don't need THAT kinda exercise.. LOL..

A couple of things with scuba tanks.... They need to be hydro tested every 5 years I believe and this can cost you from $30 to $60 depending on who does it. Annually they need to be visually inspected and that is about $10.00.... So you have to factor that into your costs. I bought my tanks in the off season (winter in MN) for about $100 each and they all needed to be Hydro'd and visually inspected.

DonT
DonT
DonT

Postby PRS on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:11 pm

PRS

Postby Joe Camo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

The Rouge .357 reminds me of a modern version of the Lewis and Clark air rifle. Interesting info here (very long read): http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm ... although calling the L&C gun an "assault rifle" is a bit over the top IMO.

JC
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt
Joe Camo

Postby PRS on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:19 pm

I just posted a video of it Joe...
PRS

Postby Joe Camo on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:22 am

PRS wrote:I just posted a video of it Joe...

Sorry, my work blocks youtube so I couldn't view it before I posted ... :oops: . Our thoughts were in the same place, though (at least for that moment)!

JC
Joe Camo

Return to General Gun Chat