recomendations for a petite female that likes .45

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: recomendations for a petite female that likes .45

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:53 pm

I think that a lot of thought has to be placed into this.....
Let's face it, for the most part, 1911 clones para's included are not a reliable platform for a noob to shoot or an experience shooter. There is the cost of ammo that needs to addressed with WWB at Wally World looking close to 28 per C that is significant. 9mm offerings like the M&P, G19, Sig 250, and host of others might be a good compromise.

Perhaps she needs a good sampling of guns in various calibers, and a Come To Jesus Session with respect to honest to God costs of ownership and useage.

I would say she needs a gun she will practice with and enjoy shooting (read will practice with and not be beaten up shooting the gun)
Einthoven's Triangle

Re: recommendations for a petite female that likes .45

Postby JoeH on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:37 pm

You may be right but you are assuming an awful lot about someone you've never met.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby meltedeyes on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:06 pm

ttousi wrote:2 classes coming up in April..........

PM MsT for info ........she is the grand pubah in charge.
Yes, it is a fantastic deal

Also, I have a carry class coming up Feb 24th with a wide variety of calibers/models available.

I will let her know about your class.

Einthoven; yeah the 1911 may not be the best choice. but she's also determined to be able to handle and control a .45. She knows that she is incapable of the .45 right now and is willing to look at other pistols and calibers. Also, since she is thinking about the CIA/FBI she is interested in finding out and trying what they tend to use.
meltedeyes

Postby David on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:17 pm

If a woman has a good grip and is using the right size pistol, I see no reason to start her out small and work up, any more than a male. I've taken many of my female friends and relatives shooting, and, as a couple of people above noted, .45 is the runaway favorite. Maybe it's the (typically) thinner grip, or maybe it's psychological, or something else entirely, but I've never found that a woman (unless she's really weak--like my brother) is scared-off by a .45, or .40, or .357, or whatever. Interestingly, I've never found a woman who likes .380. Maybe it's because of the sharp recoil and short stroke?

Anyway, the image of the little woman not being able to handle the "big" gun is a cliché to me, unless of course she simply can't hang on. But that applies to many men, too.
David

Postby ttousi on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:32 pm

One female instructor that I know and respect carries a .45 because in her words ........the recoil is more like a push than a sharp recoil ( or words to that effect)
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Lady T on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:41 pm

Meltedeyes and Friend,

I'm so sorry for your experience at Bill's North, it was so uncalled for :evil: Being part of the "Family" that works there, I would really like to know who treated you both this way so I can do a "little training" :hammer:

I know I can't fix what happened, but I do want to extend a sincere invitation: Friday 2/8 I work 9A-9P & if you both would like to come back, I'll let you both shoot for free, I'll also open up the gun rental case & would really love to work with her in finding a gun (or two) that will fit her hand. She'll just have to buy the ammo! I'm also an Instructor who has a few certifications behind my name and might be able to give her a few pointers (esp. Female shooter to Female shooter) if she still would like them.

If that date & time frame doesn't work, hopefully we can find one that does!

If it does work, maybe a few of the other guys out there would like to join us and bring a few of their guns also :yippee: I'll talk to John Monson and see if I can get some kind of price reduction for the rest of you, but I wouldn't really count on it-Sorry.

May I add also: I HIGHLY recommend the "Intro. to Firearms for Women's" class at Oakdale Gun Club in April. For about $30.00, you not only get handgun knowledge & experience, but also rifle & shotgun. Actually, this class I developed and brought out to OGC many years ago, but had to give it up when I started instructing for Bill's. Ms T has been heaven sent as far as taking it over. If you haven't already, contact :bowdown: Ms. T immediately, she already has a roster started.

Sincerely,

Teresa (Lady T)
Lady T

Postby David on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Oh! Serious props for Teresa. She'll sort your friend out quickly, and she definitely won't act dismissive or intimidating. I've had many great experiences with her sales AND training skills.
David

Postby meltedeyes on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Lady T, Thank you. I know that Friday doesn't work for me, but we'll figure out a time here soon.

I think she'll appreciate your offer, especially opening up the rental case so she can try different guns. I'm sure she will also be receptive to any tips you could give her.

One thing he wouldn't shut up about (besides Sigs) is you. Looking back, I'd say it was approaching hero worship :) He was really pushing the Sig 238 I think it was. He kept bringing up the fact it was your carry gun. :)

I've already been in contact with Ms T about her class

I will make sure my friend knows about your offer.
Last edited by meltedeyes on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meltedeyes

Postby ttousi on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 pm

both the "T" ladies are top notch ;)

Take advantage
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Vlad on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 pm

ttousi wrote:both the "T" ladies are top notch ;)

Take advantage

+1.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby meltedeyes on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:26 pm

ttousi wrote:both the "T" ladies are top notch ;)

Take advantage

I have met them both in person and have been impressed with them both on and off the board. Well, except for Lady T as I don't recall seeing her previous 4 posts. :P I agree, they are both stand up gals.
meltedeyes

Postby MsT on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Dates for both Introduction to Firearms for Women classes should go on Oakdale's website February 1. I'd held off advertising to give people from last year's waiting list a chance to sign up. Both classes are 1/3 full now ... I'll take 30 per class, and the price is still $30.00.
“It is not the things we do in our lives that we regret – it’s the things we don’t do.” (Randy Pausch)

MCPPA Instructor - http://www.TrainingOptionsLLC.com
NRA Instructor
MN DNR Firearms Safety Instructor
Firearms Academy of Seattle Aug. 2008
MsT

Postby macphisto on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Don't miss an opportunity to let Teresa help you out. She was extremely patient with me when I was a new shooter visiting Bill's North several times per week and she also taught my carry course. She's the best of the best and won't steer you wrong.
macphisto

Postby Rem700 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:01 am

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby justaguy on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 am

Lady T wrote:Meltedeyes and Friend,

I'm so sorry for your experience at Bill's North, it was so uncalled for :evil: Being part of the "Family" that works there, I would really like to know who treated you both this way so I can do a "little training" :hammer:

I know I can't fix what happened, but I do want to extend a sincere invitation: Friday 2/8 I work 9A-9P & if you both would like to come back, I'll let you both shoot for free, I'll also open up the gun rental case & would really love to work with her in finding a gun (or two) that will fit her hand. She'll just have to buy the ammo! I'm also an Instructor who has a few certifications behind my name and might be able to give her a few pointers (esp. Female shooter to Female shooter) if she still would like them.

If that date & time frame doesn't work, hopefully we can find one that does!

If it does work, maybe a few of the other guys out there would like to join us and bring a few of their guns also :yippee: I'll talk to John Monson and see if I can get some kind of price reduction for the rest of you, but I wouldn't really count on it-Sorry.

May I add also: I HIGHLY recommend the "Intro. to Firearms for Women's" class at Oakdale Gun Club in April. For about $30.00, you not only get handgun knowledge & experience, but also rifle & shotgun. Actually, this class I developed and brought out to OGC many years ago, but had to give it up when I started instructing for Bill's. Ms T has been heaven sent as far as taking it over. If you haven't already, contact :bowdown: Ms. T immediately, she already has a roster started.

Sincerely,

Teresa (Lady T)

Just what I expected from this forum.

At the end of the day it is the shooters choice. A lot of people think the 1911 for a beginner is wrong. If all they know is a manual safety then that is all they know. They won’t know that on a Glock you just pull the trigger. If they practice with a 1911 then that’s what they will know. The military takes people from all walks and forces them to use manual safety’s. When I bought my Glock I thought it felt “weird” to Not have a safety. I agree to let them work up the recoil scale but let them decide what they want to carry. To say one thing is better than the other for someone else doesn’t make sense. I would like to believe some people aren’t stupid and they know it is their life on the line and to make up their own mind.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat