Ruger MKIII

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Ruger MKIII

Postby cyclerider06 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:20 am

I found a used Ruger MK III for sale for 319 at GM and am just wondering if anyone here thinks this is a good buy or not. I am not that familiar with them but have been looking for a .22 pistol for some time. I am not going to say which GM it is in case this is a good buy for fear of someone grabbing it before I can. :) I didn't get a chance to ask much history about it so I can't fill much in on it other than the picture. Thanks for the any input.
Attachments
10103.jpg
10103.jpg (20.94 KB) Viewed 3480 times
cyclerider06

Re: Ruger MKIII

Postby DeanC on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 am

That price is pretty close to what a new one costs at someplace other than Goose Hill.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Shipyard on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:40 am

not terrible, not all that great either. a new one will run you $425 shipped and transfered. then you know how many is on it also.

i bet thunderjohn here could get you a really good price on one. worth aksin :D

i bought my 22/45 bull barrel local for $270 out the door.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/13046
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Thunderjohn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 am

DeanC wrote:That price is pretty close to what a new one costs at someplace other than Goose Hill.

Only for a blued MKIII.
A stainless is $399 +
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:59 am

... honestly I'm not seeing how %25 less than an agressively priced new version of the same gun is a bad deal if it's in good shape? I know some people have a hard time with GM but excluding the retailer's other pricing patterns for a moment I'm betting this same pistol would sell fast in the forums if advertised for that price (assuming it's the 5" stainless model pictured which is $415 or more brand new + shipping/FFL) and you don't have the same "inspection period" and 30 day warranty that Gander offers on used guns.

For the same price you could get a brand new Browning Buckmark Camper if that floated your boat and you prefer a new gun.
yuppiejr

Postby DeanC on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:20 pm

$337 at Buds plus shipping plus transfer. This is the 22/45 stainless 5½" bull barrel.

$319 is not a bad deal, there are just better ones.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby RobD on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:24 pm

DeanC wrote:$337 at Buds plus shipping plus transfer. This is the 22/45 stainless 5½" bull barrel.

This item's price includes the cost to deliver it to your dealer. ( is included in price.) Does not cover next-day shipping
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Lets be fair in the comparison though gents, the gun pictured is the full stainless steel Mark 3 - the one linked for price comparison is the polymer framed 22/45 with a stainless barrel which IS a lower cost gun (you can pick them up blued for $250ish).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/74

If he had asked if a Ruger 22/45 Stainless for $319 used is a good price I'd say no... but for a Mark 3 stainless with a street price of $400-$425 new it's a pretty solid buy.
yuppiejr

Postby DeanC on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:43 pm

DeanC wrote:This is the 22/45 stainless 5½" bull barrel.
DeanC

Postby onebohemian on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 pm

It's a MarkIII. Don't buy it. Find a Mark II on gunbroker for the same or better price, buy that and find someone in town with an FFL to charge you a reasonable price (not $25) for the transfer. Better construction and no loaded chamber indicator.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby cyclerider06 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm

So it sounds like this is not a great deal but not bad for GM considering it seems that they can be grossly overpriced at times. I have not dealt with thunderjohn yet but plan to on another purchase. It sounds like he provides very good deals, would these be in line with what I might find on budsgunshop? Also after looking I didn't care for the 22/45 as much as I didn't like the slide release button as much, call me picky but sometimes a guy just wants things a certain way. Thanks for all the feedback.
cyclerider06

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

cyclerider06 wrote:So it sounds like this is not a great deal but not bad for GM considering it seems that they can be grossly overpriced at times. I have not dealt with thunderjohn yet but plan to on another purchase. It sounds like he provides very good deals, would these be in line with what I might find on budsgunshop? Also after looking I didn't care for the 22/45 as much as I didn't like the slide release button as much, call me picky but sometimes a guy just wants things a certain way. Thanks for all the feedback.

I think the price you are seeing at Gander for a stainless, 5" Ruger Mark 3 is actually a decent buy for $319 compared to $400+ brand new... The debate over the best buy in a .22 semi-auto pistol in the $300 range is a different discussion (looks like this thread covers both bases :) ). The fact is Gander does buy low and, while not common, they sometimes slip one through the cracks for a decent price back on the retail floor and I'd say this is probably an example of such a situation. I shop a few local establishments (Trail's End, Capras, Bill's, Cabelas, Gander) when I'm looking for guns and have had surprisingly good luck lately at Gander but there are a lot of people who loathe shopping there, to each their own.

That said, if you are looking more broadly for advice on a .22 auto pistol in the $300-$350 price range, I 'd suggest looking at the Browning Buckmark Camper which is $325 ish new/retail.
yuppiejr

Postby Thunderjohn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:47 pm

DeanC wrote:$337 at Buds plus shipping plus transfer. This is the 22/45 stainless 5½" bull barrel.

$319 is not a bad deal, there are just better ones.

That's a polymer frame at Buds for $337, not the MKIII.

$319 is a good deal for a nice SS MKIII if it has the case and the 2nd mag.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby 2in2out on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm

I've had 2 Mark II's and would buy another Ruger .22 in a heartbeat. It would have to be obvious before # of rounds would be a factor with one of those guns, in my uneducated-and-fairly-ignorant opinion. Sounds like a good deal to me.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby 45Badger on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:27 pm

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and now call Frontiersman :D . Marv had (yesterday) a very pretty Mark II, stainless, bull barrel gun for something like $329. No idiotic MarkIII "safety" features.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Next

Return to General Gun Chat