How to handle an out of state handgun transfer?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

How to handle an out of state handgun transfer?

Postby JJ on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 pm

I may have just sold a handgun to a guy out of state.

What is the best method of payment? Personal Check (waiting to clear) Money order? Paypal? Certified Check?

Shipping via my local FFL? How much does that generally run?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Re: How to handle an out of state handgun transfer?

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Have to ask your FFL because price can be all over the map. Depending on insurance amount etc guesstimate $35-$50.
Postal money order is best method.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby solidgun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Avoid personal check. The wait period is too long (14 days is apparently the safe limit now). USPS money order, very discreet paypal (no mention of the gun in any form or the model info), certified check only if you know what they look like (personally I know Wells Fargo and US bank checks as I use them all the time).

Does he require you to ship via FFL? If the buyer's FFL requires that the item be shipped through your FFL, then it will be the fee plus the shipping charge. FFLs can use USPS shipping for both rifles and handguns (handguns with paperwork from what I understand) and this is cheaper. Shipping by FedEx and UPS will generally cost more for handguns if your FFL only ships using those methods.

Shipping for a rifle has run almost always less than $50 for me. I have had to insure $9000 when I shipped a Barrett, but the extra insurance should always be taken.

If you are shipping it directly to the buyer's FFL and they will accept it this way, then verify with the dealer what they need with the firearm shipment (copy of driver's license is usually standard, but I have been asked to provide a copy of utility bills before and some dealers don't care).

Remember that you cannot ship handguns via USPS. You cannot include any ammunition with your shipping. Make sure you pay for that insurance.

You can PM me with questions if you need something answered. I have shipped and purchased/sold quite a few guns online for long long time now.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Shipyard on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:18 pm

do NO Take a money order!!!! they are the most stolen and counter-fitted and scammed non-cash method out there and they don't back up their ****. i've seen a lot of people recently run into a lot of issues with them. and they cost a fortune if anything happens with them. no good dude.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby solidgun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Shipyard wrote:do NO Take a money order!!!! they are the most stolen and counter-fitted and scammed non-cash method out there and they don't back up their ****. i've seen a lot of people recently run into a lot of issues with them. and they cost a fortune if anything happens with them. no good dude.

Are you including USPS money order in this category? I only ask as I do not take any other money order, but I do know what the USPS one looks like and have not had issues.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby 1911fan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I take USPS money orders. So far they have proven to be the securest form I know.

There are some FFL's who will us USPS for good customers to ship to FFLs at very reasonable costs. Mine does it for ten bucks over the actual costs. Get the prepaid shipping boxes from the USPS overnight bin and have it all set exceptfor sealing it and ship away.
1911fan

Postby JJ on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:45 pm

So a USPS MO is they best payment? How long after cashing before you are safe?

I do not like Paypal, and avoid it at all cost.

I will be shipping it via my FFL to his FFL.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby solidgun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 pm

If you are familiar with USPS MO, you will know they are genuine. If that is the case, i deposit it the same day received and ship the item out the same day received.
solidgun

Postby JJ on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 pm

solidgun wrote:If you are familiar with USPS MO, you will know they are genuine. If that is the case, i deposit it the same day received and ship the item out the same day received.

Yeah, never even seen one before. That is why I am asking.
JJ

Postby solidgun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:23 pm

http://about.usps.com/notices/not299/not299_001.htm

USPS money order info. If verified to be genuine, then there really shouldn't be any wait period unless agreed with the buyer.
solidgun

Postby Snowgun on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:31 am

Why do you have to go FFL to FFL? I'm curious...can't you just ship to his FFL?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Rem700 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 am

Isnt it possible to cash a USPS money order at the post office?

My FFL charges $10 over actual shipping charges which is usually $20-$25 for a handgun = $10+$20/$25= $30/35 plus what ever insurance is wanted, This is usually cheaper then what I can ship myself useing UPS/Fedex overnight.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:14 am

Snowgun wrote:Why do you have to go FFL to FFL? I'm curious...can't you just ship to his FFL?

Usually cheaper to go through an FFL that can will ship via priority mail than paying overnight UPS or FEDEX which you would have to use as a non-FFL.

IE my FFL charges $20 plus actual shipping so priority flat rate with insurance etc makes a typical total of $45 or less. Overnight USP same insurance etc is $65.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby JJ on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 am

Also, many FFL's will not accept unless it is shipped from an FFL.
JJ

Postby Tromix-Saiga-12 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 am

USPS money order all the way. Here is the semi-secret phone number to verify them: 1.866.459.7822. It's completely automated & will ask for the service #, dollar amount, & post office #.
Atomic Tactical Inc.
8901 Lyndale Ave South
Bloomington MN 55420
07 FFL

Store Hours: 12pm-8pm Monday-Saturday
Tromix-Saiga-12

Next

Return to General Gun Chat