Sons of Guns? Red Jacket? wow....

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:29 pm

ok, i'm a little behind the times, without cable and all, but Netflix has Sons of Guns Season 1 on now, and i just watched the first two episodes.
first, what the hell?!? how are they going to call themselves a proper custom shop with a vertical mill like they have?! i've seen better equipment on Craigslist! secondly, they were measuring things with a **** RULER!? you don't have to be a machinist (like myself and a few others here) to know that a RULER is far from precision, and playing with custom guns should use PRECISION!
secondly, is the subjects. the first one was a challenge to undermount a shotgun to an AR-15. the owner guy, will (?), kept referring to the AR-15 as an M16. if it IS a military weapon, it's an M4, not a damn M16, he should know that. secondly, the Master Key concept is not a new one, nor are they the first to make it. if i recall correctly, Knights Armament makes a MasterKey, as well as an M203 Launcher (in 37mm for flares, not the 40 or 44mm grenades, i forget the size)
the Second episode, they were trying to silence a shotgun. "it's never been done before" was thrown around more frequently than MazelTov at a JEWISH WEDDING! (that's a lot, by the way). yeah, a shotgun has never been silenced before, and if you believe that, there's a really nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn! does he not know of the AA12?!? yeah, that impressive piece of equipment can be suppressed. i'm sure theres others, but that's the one that comes to mind. i realize that the AA12 is not for civilian use, but it HAS been done.
another thing, what's with the Saiga shotguns?! why not use a damn REMINGTON 870 like EVERYONE ELSE!? or a Mossberg 500?!! those two are the STANDARDS for "tactical shotguns", and in BOTH instances, it was a Saiga design.
final issue, did they just grab the most redneck lookin' guys that Discovery Channel could find and give 'em a show? these clowns are reminding me of ANOTHER crappy Discovery show, AMERICAN CHOPPER. the ASS Clowns at OCC will do whatever they can to get a buck, and that's what the tools at RedJacket seem to be doing as well. they even got their own version of Mikey Teutel, too! the apprentice, Kris. and what kind of man spells Kris with a "K"? the answer, one with a very limp wrist. oh, and a sad little "mowhawk".

if they had given that show to a decent shop, one that maybe wasn't located in the Bayou, and hopefully employed people with a FULL SET OF TEETH, it might be worth watching. i'm just a little bothered by this, and i'm pretty sure that you guys can understand.

END OF RANT, ERIK OUT!
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Re: Sons of Guns? Red Jacket? wow....

Postby goett047 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Keep watching...it gets better MUCH better :roll:
goett047

Postby White Horseradish on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:07 am

I was with ya until you hit the shotguns. First, while you are correct that it has, indeed, been done, AA12 is not the end all and be all of suppressed shotguns. I don't know why you would think of it first, shotgun silencers have been made for much more common models, like Saiga. Which brings me to the second thing.

I don't know what it is that you got against Saigas, but even if you don't like them, your complaints are plain silly. Why don't they use the gun everyone else would use? Precisely because everyone else would use it. To be different and interesting. Besides, a detachable mag has a distinct advantage over a tube in reload speed. On top of that it looks cool, which is what TV is all about.

As to what kind of man would spell Kris with a K, that would be one of German ancestry. I can think of two. Santa and a guy I work with. Neither one strikes me as limp-wristed. Speaking of K's and names, don't you spell Erik with one? :mrgreen:

And yeah, it is the same concept as OCC - goofy looking guys squabbling like little girls while operating powertools. Which is why I save myself the aggravation and don't watch it.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby 1911fan on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:30 am

Does anyone else see the resemblance between the pawn stars guy and the gun shop guy?

I agree on the tooling, they are not master machinists or gunsmiths, they are ok mechanics and that's it.
1911fan

Postby Dutch on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:44 am

Somehow I can't get stand the daughter's voice.... but hey, there's a new show starting next week "American Guns" or something. Probably more of the same, just like Miami/LA/London Ink.
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Postby bstrawse on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:28 am

Dutch wrote:Somehow I can't get stand the daughter's voice.... but hey, there's a new show starting next week "American Guns" or something. Probably more of the same, just like Miami/LA/London Ink.

Oh I like her voice -- and her look :)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Rodentman on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:36 am

Dutch wrote:Somehow I can't get stand the daughter's voice.... but hey, there's a new show starting next week "American Guns" or something. Probably more of the same, just like Miami/LA/London Ink.

She needs to take the (golf) balls out of her mouth.

Clearly the show targets the "Gerorge Bush NASCAR crowd"

I wouldn't have them do any work for me.
Rodentman

Postby Livngr8ful on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:56 am

Nuts!!!! Nuts!!! I say. Don't give the Cajuns guns, give em deodorant. And as for the girl. Some may think she is hot, but I should point out... She's a troll.... Who cares if she likes guns. I'd take her home (if I had a bridge for her to live under)...Cajun = French and redneck combined......
Questions can't be stupid, only answers can be stupid.
Livngr8ful

Postby meddin on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 am

Livngr8ful wrote: Who cares if she likes guns. I'd take her home (if I had a bridge for her to live under)...Cajun = French and redneck combined......

Don't forget how good she is at handling that Desert Eagle. Oh, wait....
meddin

Postby rukwikenuf on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:03 am

regarding MY name, it's a viking name. Erik is the Swedish spelling. i'd bet that the tool on Sons of Guns spells his name with a "K" because he thinks its Kool. problem is, those guy didn't drink the Kool-Aid.

yeah, the chick is a troll. nice body, from what i've seen, but she is annoying, and her teeth are worse than my dogs! not to mention that a three-pack-a-day voice isn't attractive on a twenty-something. hell, it's not attractive on ANY woman.
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Livngr8ful on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:06 am

rukwikenuf wrote:regarding MY name, it's a viking name. Erik is the Swedish spelling. i'd bet that the tool on Sons of Guns spells his name with a "K" because he thinks its Kool. problem is, those guy didn't drink the Kool-Aid.

yeah, the chick is a troll. nice body, from what i've seen, but she is annoying, and her teeth are worse than my dogs! not to mention that a three-pack-a-day voice isn't attractive on a twenty-something. hell, it's not attractive on ANY woman.

Ya.. Nice body if you have low standards.... It's ok man.. I've had off days also..I got your back...
Questions can't be stupid, only answers can be stupid.
Livngr8ful

Postby Snowgun on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:28 am

I love bringing up this show to Ryan (The gunsmith at bills), he gets so PISSED. :lol:

Having watched a lot of episodes, I've realized that they are lucky they have 1 or 2 good gunsmiths, because the rest of them are hacks.

The girl cant shoot worth ****. She flinches and closes her eyes every time she fires a gun.

The owner is pushing too hard in the later episodes to come up with stuff, it almost looks fake the way he contemplates what they should do...and the way he yells at his competent gunsmiths to shut up and work despite their objections is just plain unprofessional and stupid.

I still watch it though. :)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Anokamnman on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:38 am

rukwikenuf wrote:regarding MY name, it's a viking name. Erik is the Swedish spelling. i'd bet that the tool on Sons of Guns spells his name with a "K" because he thinks its Kool. problem is, those guy didn't drink the Kool-Aid.

RUKWIKENUF AKA ERIK AKA Hippy

Holy **** bro... No more red bull for you.

Let's touch on the tooling that you brought up. As you learned from Bob, precision standard is to .010" and you can easily measure that with a nice 6" steel rule. Not going to be uber accurate unless you know what you are doing. Yes they do have an old POS manual mill, but you know as well as I do, it will do the job. Now they have a CNC Haas vertical mill. You see it once in a while in the background in later seasons. I believe it is a VF-1. personally if I was making/modifying one part, I would want to use an old school bridgeport.

Second, you spell your name with a k. Chill the heck out. You spell it with a k because that's what hippies do. Go smoke another bowl.

Third, well...... I can't argue. That chick is hideous. Lol. You were right on with that observation.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby Anokamnman on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:39 am

rukwikenuf wrote:regarding MY name, it's a viking name. Erik is the Swedish spelling.

Ummmm you aren't Swedish. You are Jewish.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:53 am

White Horseradish wrote:As to what kind of man would spell Kris with a K, that would be one of German ancestry.

Great call and the reason my son is a Kris. sprechen Sie Deutsch
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Next

Return to General Gun Chat