Gunstop West?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gunstop West?

Postby grousemaster on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 pm

I brought one of my old Remington auto loaders to a guy in a smoke filled basement in St. Boni to work out some issues that I could not. I guess the guy does great work (I've heard) , but was pretty "un-friendly" when I was there and he is a week late on calling me about the firearm I dropped off. Any experiences with him?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Re: Gunstop West?

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Yes, Palmer is an outstanding gunsmith. He definitly does not take happy pills so he can be a little under thrilling in the customer interaction department but the work is 1st class.

My hunter partner had him turn a Beretta high grade double into a english stock from a pistol grip. The checking work is remarkable. He has also done some pistol work for me and I've happy with everything.
mmcnx2

Postby MnHornet on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 am

Yep, not really a people guy. Seems like most of the guys at my club have had him do trigger work. He did my #1 and a buddies 77, both have very nice triggers now.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby 45Badger on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:29 pm

He's done two trigger jobs for me. AWESOME work, done in a timely manner. He's not so hot in the warm fuzzy/chatty Cathy department. Could be he's depressed or introverted. In any case, a first rate gunsmith. Call him and ask about your gun. He doesn't bite.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby 870TC on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:59 pm

So you brought a gun to a very well liked (busy) gunsmith, right in the middle of deer season and he is a little late calling you back....Hmmm?. Sounds pretty normal to me, I've known some gunsmiths to up there rate during the hunting season too.
870TC

Postby JJ on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:03 pm

870TC wrote:So you brought a gun to a very well liked (busy) gunsmith, right in the middle of deer season and he is a little late calling you back....Hmmm?. Sounds pretty normal to me, I've known some gunsmiths to up there rate during the hunting season too.

DING, DING, DING.. We have a winner. No clue on this guys work, but it's the prime of hunting season. You want quick 'smith time, this is the wrong season.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby jspace on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:55 pm

I had to have some work done there on my 870. He said it would take about a week. I never got a call back, but when I called two weeks later it was done. Not sure how long it was sitting, but it was done nonetheless. Cabin Fever in Victoria also sends stuff to him, BTW.
Long story short, just call and ask. If it's not done, well, 870TC & JJ told you why.
jspace

Re

Postby attack5 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 am

U
Last edited by attack5 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attack5

Postby grousemaster on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 pm

870TC wrote:So you brought a gun to a very well liked (busy) gunsmith, right in the middle of deer season and he is a little late calling you back....Hmmm?. Sounds pretty normal to me, I've known some gunsmiths to up there rate during the hunting season too.

I figured as much, which is why I asked him how long he thought it would take before I dropped it off.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Sammichman on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Not much on Conversation,,,The first Two jobs he did for me were fine,,the last one I wasn,t to crazy about ,The last Gun I had worked on I made the trip to Ahlmans,,I think for the amount of Mods they needed to do and the Parts they had to get ,,,they did an Oustanding job at a price that was within 20.00 of there estimate
Sammichman

Postby Sammichman on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Not much on Conversation,,,The first Two jobs he did for me were fine,,the last one I wasn,t to crazy about ,The last Gun I had worked on I made the trip to Ahlmans,,I think for the amount of Mods they needed to do and the Parts they had to get ,,,they did an Oustanding job at a price that was within 20.00 of there estimate
Sammichman

Postby grousemaster on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:32 am

I called today and there was a recording stating the shop was closed for deer season and will re-open on the 21st. I wanted my gun for this weekend. Seems like a critical detail that should have been mentioned when I dropped it off, considering I was told that the firearm was going to be ready for pick up last Wednesday (even though they were apparently closed???)
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby 45Badger on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:17 pm

You need to borrow anything?
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby nosualc on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:32 am

grousemaster,

My experience with a half dozen or so gunsmiths is:

1) The good ones are always busy.
2) More than half are "grumpy", sometimes bordering on customer hostile.
3) They do their work on their own schedule. It's done when it's done.
4) Most have terrible communication habits (returning phone calls, etc.).

If you needed your gun back before a certain date, you should have specified that very clearly up front. He would have very likely told you no. Maybe you did, but the reality of smiths is above.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Postby grousemaster on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:40 pm

45Badger wrote:You need to borrow anything?

Appreciate the offer 45badger, I've got several other shotguns I can use....the one in the smith just happens to be a favorite :D
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Next

Return to General Gun Chat