Firearm Insurance

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Firearm Insurance

Postby sawgrass on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:51 am

Does anyone have any good recommendations for firearm insurance? I've heard of a company called 'Collectinsure', but I haven't
heard of anyone actually filing a claim. Thanks.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Re: Firearm Insurance

Postby farmerj on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:56 am

my insurance company has a policy rider for firearms. But they also just allow up to $3000 for it too. Same with consumer electronics and computers separately.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby sawgrass on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:03 am

farmerj wrote:my insurance company has a policy rider for firearms. But they also just allow up to $3000 for it too. Same with consumer electronics and computers separately.

Our homeowners covers a small amount like that too. Looking for info for better coverage.
Thanks.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby farmerj on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:15 am

I thought about finding new or better too.

Just not sure how you can improve on having replacement value on the items. Without the rider, the limit is like $3000. With the rider, it's just noted what you have.

The big thing they asked for documentation on was to have pictures (please up date every couple years) and to include serial number.

If you have a DD214, USAA is pretty much taking anyone with military service now.
Last edited by farmerj on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:15 am

sawgrass wrote:Does anyone have any good recommendations for firearm insurance? I've heard of a company called 'Collectinsure', but I haven't
heard of anyone actually filing a claim. Thanks.

You might look into getting a "rider" policy with your home insurance, we've done it with a few items in the house that are worth more than the typical maximums and it was quite affordable.
yuppiejr

Postby MNBlackjack on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:18 am

If you have State Farm they offer personal artical policies that are reasonable. I think it is about $1.50 per $100 per year. Ex. $1000.00 gun = $15.00 per year.
FFL
NRA - Lifetime Member
NSSF
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
- Ayn Rand
MNBlackjack

Postby shooter115 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 pm

FWIW, from my experience the cheapest way to go (depending on your insurance co.) is add the rider to your homeowners policy. I have an additional $17K in firearms coverage on top of the standard $3K added for just under a $100 a year.

It's the same for coins, stamps or any other collectables. If you've got a valuable collection of anything, your standard homeowners insurance will only cover up to xxxx dollar amount.
shooter115

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:48 pm

NRA has adder policies but found in my case my Auto Owners (home owner, auto etc all on their policies) was MUCH cheaper to add a $10K rider.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby tim on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:52 pm

shooter115 wrote:FWIW, from my experience the cheapest way to go (depending on your insurance co.) is add the rider to your homeowners policy. I have an additional $17K in firearms coverage on top of the standard $3K added for just under a $100 a year.

It's the same for coins, stamps or any other collectables. If you've got a valuable collection of anything, your standard homeowners insurance will only cover up to xxxx dollar amount.

Who's your insurance provider, if you don't mind me asking?
tim

Postby MKearn on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:30 pm

I have State Farm and my rider was cheap. That is the way I would go.
Last edited by MKearn on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MKearn

Postby shooter115 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:51 pm

tim wrote:
shooter115 wrote:FWIW, from my experience the cheapest way to go (depending on your insurance co.) is add the rider to your homeowners policy. I have an additional $17K in firearms coverage on top of the standard $3K added for just under a $100 a year.

Sorry, but I'd rather not say. That info is just a little to private to disclose, but it's through a smaller local insurance company.
shooter115

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 am

shooter115 wrote:
tim wrote:

Sorry, but I'd rather not say. That info is just a little to private to disclose, but it's through a smaller local insurance company.

Soooooo just braggin' instead of helping??
LarryFlew

Postby shooter115 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:41 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Soooooo just braggin' instead of helping??

I don't imagine it would cost much more or less with any other insurance company. I would think they all have to stay somewhat competitive with each other to stay in buisness. And sorry, I'm not going to post on an open internet forum, who I get my insurance through, what bank I use, my DLN or my SSN. I was just saying the cheapest route is to add it to your homeowners pollicy.
shooter115

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:11 pm

shooter115 wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:Soooooo just braggin' instead of helping??

I don't imagine it would cost much more or less with any other insurance company. I would think they all have to stay somewhat competitive with each other to stay in buisness. And sorry, I'm not going to post on an open internet forum, who I get my insurance through, what bank I use, my DLN or my SSN. I was just saying the cheapest route is to add it to your homeowners pollicy.

As riders are the desert for insurance companies they are nowhere near competitive on things like that. I can understand the DLN, SSN but telling someone the brand of insurance you have???? My insurance just recently became competitive compared to NRA that I had for years, for instance.

Yes I belong to NRA
I bank locally
I have Medica insurance
I insure the rest through Auto Owners
I own guns
I fly radio control airplanes and helicopters
etc
etc

Information you could find anyway and doesn't do you much good to begin with. Just sayin'
Last edited by LarryFlew on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LarryFlew

Postby farmerj on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Before I switched to usaa, I shopped for insurance to every 6 months.

You'd be amazed how much you can save.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Next

Return to General Gun Chat