New gun for a Newbie

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

New gun for a Newbie

Postby Mini SASS on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 am

Hi everyone, I've been lurking this site for about a week and finally decided to sign up. I have ordered a DPMS Mini-SASS (5.56) and it will be ready in 3-6 months. Why did I go with DPMS? I get dealer prices on the DPMS line because my employer makes parts for them. I was in the Infantry for 8 yrs and shot the M60, SAW, M16A2, M203, but that was a looooong time ago! I would like to get back into shooting and I wasn't to bad of a shot back then with limited range time. I have a few questions...

1) What max distances can I shoot with the Mini-SASS 5.56/.223?
2) Where can I go for training in the twin cities area?
3) I'm also getting into handguns, I was never good with them and its my first civilian gun I've ever owned (Springfield XD 9mm subcompact) Yep, you read that right. lol... It took me 43 yrs to buy my first gun. So, where can I go for training with handguns?
4) Does reloading 5.56 make since if I wanted to save money?
5) I was on the fence about prepping.. Now that I have leaned over to the side of prepping... Is there a group here that preps?

I know some of you don't like DPMS.. I went with the Mini-SASS because I'm familar with the AR platform, the 5.56 is less expensive then the .308 version and the price was right. :)

Thanks in advance!
Mini SASS

Re: New gun for a Newbie

Postby grousemaster on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:13 pm

Mini SASS wrote:Hi everyone, I've been lurking this site for about a week and finally decided to sign up. I have ordered a DPMS Mini-SASS (5.56) and it will be ready in 3-6 months. Why did I go with DPMS? I get dealer prices on the DPMS line because my employer makes parts for them. I was in the Infantry for 8 yrs and shot the M60, SAW, M16A2, M203, but that was a looooong time ago! I would like to get back into shooting and I wasn't to bad of a shot back then with limited range time. I have a few questions...

1) What max distances can I shoot with the Mini-SASS 5.56/.223?
2) Where can I go for training in the twin cities area?
3) I'm also getting into handguns, I was never good with them and its my first civilian gun I've ever owned (Springfield XD 9mm subcompact) Yep, you read that right. lol... It took me 43 yrs to buy my first gun. So, where can I go for training with handguns?
5) I was on the fence about prepping.. Now that I have leaned over to the side of prepping... Is there a group here that preps?

I know some of you don't like DPMS.. I went with the Mini-SASS because I'm familar with the AR platform, the 5.56 is less expensive then the .308 version and the price was right. :)

Thanks in advance!

-The range you can shoot your 5.56 at depends tremendously on shooter skill, but as a rule of thumb I'd say 5-600 yards is max effective range for that cartridge. It loses a lot of energy and tends to blow around in the wind at longer ranges.

-Lot's of good instructors on the forum, do a search.

Welcome aboard!
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby rugersol on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:07 pm

Mini SASS wrote:4) Does reloading 5.56 make since if I wanted to save money?

I'll go ahead 'n say "no".

"More accurate ammo?" ... then, "yes".
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Mini SASS on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. I should of added my next question to my original post.

I have an XD 9mm subcompact.. Would it be worth doing reloads for a 9mm? Since its a subcompact, whats a respectable range (distance) shooting indoors?
Mini SASS

Postby rugersol on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Mini SASS wrote:Thanks for the replies. I should of added my next question to my original post.

I have an XD 9mm subcompact.. Would it be worth doing reloads for a 9mm? Since its a subcompact, whats a respectable range (distance) shooting indoors?

I'll go ahead 'n say "no", again ... not to save money, anyhow. To shoot a lot more, fer the same money, "yes".

"Respectable" distance fer a XD SC? ... I'd say if ya can hold 6in at 15yd without takin' all day, yer doin' good.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby grousemaster on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm

rugersol wrote:
Mini SASS wrote:Thanks for the replies. I should of added my next question to my original post.

I'll go ahead 'n say "no", again ... not to save money, anyhow. To shoot a lot more, fer the same money, "yes".

"Respectable" distance fer a XD SC? ... I'd say if ya can hold 6in at 15yd without takin' all day, yer doin' good.

I'd agree.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Big and Tasty on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:22 pm

grousemaster wrote:
rugersol wrote:

I'd agree.

As do I. The XD-9 sub is my daily carry and at 7 yards I get 2 inch groups in hurry up mode. At 25 yards in slow mode, I get 6-8 inch groups. Certainly my middle age eyes more than the gun itself.
"Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help."
Big and Tasty

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Mini SASS wrote:1) What max distances can I shoot with the Mini-SASS 5.56/.223?

1) If you're in space and outside the pull of any major gravitational bodies you should be able to get the bullet to travel at least a few light years before interstellar space dust slows it down.
4) Reloading just to save money generally doesn't make sense. Reloading takes time to learn, time to do, and requires purchasing a variety of equipment which can be costly. The amount of money that can be saved varies and is generally less on common rounds like .223/9mm/etc that are produced in volume for the military and police.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby shooter115 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 pm

gyrfalcon wrote: Reloading just to save money generally doesn't make sense. Reloading takes time to learn, time to do, and requires purchasing a variety of equipment which can be costly. The amount of money that can be saved varies and is generally less on common rounds like .223/9mm/etc that are produced in volume for the military and police.

I would have to disagree with you there. Yes there is some initial expense, but most reloading equipment will generaly last more than a lifetime. My equipment is easily paid for long ago. So based of components costs alone you can save quite a bit of $$ by reloading, if you buy the components right.
Example:
3000 rounds of range pick up brass=FREE
3000 Hornady 55gr.FMJ's=$204
16lbs of H335=$240
3000 CCI 400 primers=$63
Totals $507 = $169 per 1000rds. And thats for good ammo. Of course that's not considering my own time, if I were to pay myself $10 an hour for all the time I spend at my reloading bench the cost would probably be twice that. But I'd rather be at my bench than sitting on the couch. Just sayin...
shooter115

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:32 am

shooter115 wrote:...Totals $507 = $169 per 1000rds. And thats for good ammo. Of course that's not considering my own time, if I were to pay myself $10 an hour for all the time I spend at my reloading bench the cost would probably be twice that. But I'd rather be at my bench than sitting on the couch. Just sayin...

I wasn't trying to suggest you couldn't save money; only that you shouldn't get into reloading for that reason alone. There are plenty of things you can do to save money that are not generally advisable to a layperson. For example you could try and cut your own hair, build your own computer, house, car, or perform personal surgery, etc... :mrgreen:
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby FJ540 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:38 am

You're the first person I've ever heard of who decided to buy a DPMS because they made the parts at work.

Everyone else says that's why they'll never own one.
FJ540

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:54 am

Well, I suppose it's time I crawled out from under my bridge to invoke my usual cautions.

Reloading is a very serious hobby, and any lack of attention to detail could cost you dearly. The FIRST thing to do is go out and buy one or more reloading manuals, and read them cover-to-cover. You don't have to pay too much attention to the actual load data, but you MUST read every last page of HOW to reload, which is going to be about 150 - 200 pages. My reccomendations would be the Speer #14 manual, the Hornady #8 manual, or the Lyman #49 manual. If you got the money, it's better to buy all three. Read and learn FIRST, and then go out and buy equipment. Previous posters are correct, and for common calibers like 9mm and .223 it will be hard if not impossible to actually save money. Shoot a lot more for the same money is a gimme, but you have to go into the big, expensive calibers to actually save money. (S&W 500 is $2.50 a round!!)
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:49 am

Ya ... larger and/or less common calibers (i.e. NOT .223 'er 9mm), ya can easily save money ... even only buyin' 100 bullets and primers at a time.

But, to REALLY save money (actually 'nuff to pay off the press, dies, tumbler, books, puller, caliper, scale, et. al. ya bought ... in anything less than 5yr) ... ya need to do two things ... ya gotta buy yer stuff in BULK (as shown, above) ... and ya gotta shoot it all. Ya, yer individual rounds are costing less. But in order fer each round to cost less, ya had to spend more money, out of pocket, up front, and eventually go thru 'em all ... and repeat all that, at least a few times. In the end, once yer equipment's paid off, yer shootin' more, fer 'bout the same money (fer 9mm and .223 ... fer .41 Rem. Mag. 'er .338 MX, ya'd be a fool, not to!)

There comes a point, in a lotta gun-owners lives, when they enjoy shooting so much, that the cost of buyin' factory ammo is a serious concern. Don't really matter what the caliber is. If yer shootin' THAT much, and it's that expensive, something's gotta give. It's at that point, one needs to take a real hard look at what the TOTAL investment is, in "good" equipment, how much it's gonna cost (up front, to buy in bulk, if necessary), and within a budget, how often one can make such purchases. From all that, what ya should see is something along the lines of "5,000rd factory 9mm fer $1,000" vs. "5,000rd reload 9mm fer ~$700". If that's somewhat accurate, ya could expect to "pay off" $300 of equipment, in one year's time. Bear in mind, all that's meaningless, unless ya actually spend the $300 in equipment, and close to another $700 (up front, to get the much lower per-component prices, to make all that work) ... AND, ya actually shoot 5,000rd in a year. If ya change yer mind, and only shoot 1,000rd in a year, if ya'd've otherwise bought 1,000rd of factory, it woulda cost closer to $100 ... vs. $300+, for equipment, bullets, brass, primers, and powder.

If yer asking the question ("should I reload?"), ya may be at that point. But only you (and possibly with the help of yer wife :? ) can answer that question. ;)
rugersol

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:21 am

i'm gonna try to get this back closer to the original post: as far as your reach from the mini-sass, i'd say that a 500 yard point target should be more than doable. and from my experience with the crappy M16s i had in the Corps, 500 yards on a point target with iron sights, and still hitting a +/-8" group. slap a decent optic on, and you should be able to do that all day long!
keep in mind, your old M16 did not have a bipod, did not have a free-floating barrel (so pulling the sling yanks the bullet outta alignment), and was using ammo designed to kill and maim, not match-grade stuff designed to shoot very accurately

what shop do you work for? i was working the summer away up at Mountain Mfg in Lino Lakes making medical supplies. we're a prototype shop. i'll be going back in the Summer when i graduate from HTC.
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Snowgun on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 am

I've experienced nothing but great accuracy from DPMS, assuming you use appropriate ammo, have the right components (floating barrel, etc.).
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Next

Return to General Gun Chat