any public land to practice shooting?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

any public land to practice shooting?

Postby danewone on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 pm

does anyone know of any public land that is legal to just go and practice/sight? Would like to know of any public land recently been too and had no issues...looking for around twin cities area but willing to drive like 30mjns away.....thanks in advance.

I checked mn dnr shooting ranges listing but all look to be clubs or paid ranges.

thanks!
danewone

Re: any public land to practice shooting?

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 am

59 views and no replies. I think that's a "NO". Besides which, the deer bowhunting season lasts until December 31st, so going onto public land where there are bowhunters in camo that you're not going to be able to see and starting to blast away will probably result in calls to the DNR about your activities, which could lose you your gun AND your vehicle, plus a hefty fine. That isn't worth the risk under any circumstances.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:56 am

IF you are sucessful in finding a place, let us all know.

I'm looking for a place to shoot my 50BMG.
Mainly easy access for equipment I need to setup.
Will be pressure testing loads and measuring velocity.
Many different test loads will be involved.
Any range will do 25 yards to 1.5 miles.
MUST have a good backstop berm, hill, creek bank, gravelpit.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 am

I think this has been covered before. You can shoot on State Forest land and most county land(check on the specific county). There are literaly tons of public places to shoot, some better than others. My sugestion - get a map and start driving. The pits (or shooting areas) generaly are not labeled so you have to go looking for them.
Sigfan220

Postby Rem700 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 am

I assume 30mjns = Within 30 minutes of the cities? You are lucky if you can find any range withing 30 minutes of the cities let alone public land that allows free shooting.
There are several clubs within a 1/2-1hr drive of the cities but require fees or membership.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby photogpat on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Up towards Pine City is gonna be your closest State Forest land for "open" shooting.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby mn_smokeater on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 pm

head North into the Tundra there is much public land up here in the Hinterlands
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby ferch on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:44 pm

I realize this is an old post, but I just stumbled upon it today while looking for public land to shoot on close to the metro area. I actually grew up near the Chengwatana State Forest and have shot there many times. The problem is it's about an hour and 20 minutes from the metro area. (an hour to the pine city exit and then another 15-20 minutes to drive out to the forest from pine city). If anyone needs directions to the area in Chengwatana I can provide them.

I see there's a Sand Dunes State Forest near Zimmerman MN. Has anyone shot there?
ferch

Postby umnshooter on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 am

we are actually talking about this in another thread. but it seems that Sand Dunes is the only state forest that is Off Limits to target shooting, any other forest are fine, so Chengwatana, Rum River might be the closest one. By the way, if you can provide me with direction to Chenwatana, that would be great. I have been planning camping trips up to Nemadji, and I will report on the land there.

Thanks
umnshooter

Postby JJ on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:16 am

umnshooter wrote:we are actually talking about this in another thread. but it seems that Sand Dunes is the only state forest that is Off Limits to target shooting, any other forest are fine, so Chengwatana, Rum River might be the closest one. By the way, if you can provide me with direction to Chenwatana, that would be great. I have been planning camping trips up to Nemadji, and I will report on the land there.

Thanks

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.855356 ... 1&t=h&z=16 is generally considered the community range area in Chengwatana.

There are ranges that you can get a membership to with no wait for about $100 the first year and less in following years. Heck of a lot safer places to shoot.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Mdclinks on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 am

JJ wrote:
umnshooter wrote:we are actually talking about this in another thread. but it seems that Sand Dunes is the only state forest that is Off Limits to target shooting, any other forest are fine, so Chengwatana, Rum River might be the closest one. By the way, if you can provide me with direction to Chenwatana, that would be great. I have been planning camping trips up to Nemadji, and I will report on the land there.

Thanks

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.855356 ... 1&t=h&z=16 is generally considered the community range area in Chengwatana.

There are ranges that you can get a membership to with no wait for about $100 the first year and less in following years. Heck of a lot safer places to shoot.

I have deer hunted in Chengwatana for 15+ years now. We had shot at the range a few times for S&G's, but this last year they were doing so much logging we didn't feel it was very safe. They might have even shut the range down.
Mdclinks

Postby ferch on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:19 pm

That's exactly the spot in Chenguatana where I have shot in the past, but in the last couple of years I've noticed it looks like they're trying to dissuade people from shooting there so I'm looking for a new place to shoot.
ferch

Postby JJ on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:24 pm

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby ferch on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:41 pm

How long is the rifle range at ICSC?
ferch

Postby fishdude on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am

umnshooter wrote:it seems that Sand Dunes is the only state forest that is Off Limits to target shooting,

More info? I though that Dorer State Forest in southeast MN was the only state forest closed to target shooting.
fishdude

Next

Return to General Gun Chat