All of my needs are met with the Internet and local retailers
22%
I would like to see more defensive carry items locally available
25%
I would like to see more tactical items locally available
10%
Cost is the main factor as to where I will look for products
16%
Need more options for clothing locally (example 511)
6%
Need more options for gun accessories locally
17%

Total votes : 80

What are your needs

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:56 am

I'm interested in getting feedback on product availability in the MN area. I'm not talking about restricted items, firearms, ammo, reloading equipment, instruction and or armored vehicle's. What do you have a hard time finding or can't find at local retailers. It can be hunting, shooting sports, defensive carry and tactical related items. What are the issues if any price, inventory, availability and ............. :?: I'm interested in adding products to our website and in some cases maintaining the inventory in house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
westberg

Re: What are your needs

Postby Widge on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Duty and concealed carry gear. Specifically: holsters, belts, and mag carriers.
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:16 pm

Widge wrote:Duty and concealed carry gear. Specifically: holsters, belts, and mag carriers.

Thanks Widge for replying, when it comes to duty gear what if any are the requirements? Does it have to be a certain manufacture, material (nylon, leather, patent leather) and for you what would work best a local store front or a website you could go to that you know would have competitive prices?

Thanks
Ron
westberg

Postby onebohemian on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:00 pm

I agree on the concealed carry holsters need. The big box stores have nothing but fobus and uncle mikes for the most part. Even just nice OWB stuff is hard to find locally. There's lots of what appears to be tactical stuff (Blackhawk, etc.), but just a simply holster that works usually requires online purchases. It obviously depends on the gun you're looking to buy a holster for, but just as examples, I had to purchase the following online: Bianchi OWB for my BHP; Comptac IWBs for Glock and Sig; Bianchi IWBs for BHP and Sig; yet-unbought holster for a M&P; Mika for a 642. The market that is really missing from local shops is the one filled by the specialty holster makers, including our own Srigs. Guys like him, and the Desantis, Milt Sparks, Comptac, etc., crowd, fill a huge niche for us. They provide decent leather and kydex choices but don't break the bank usually.

Something else might be that there's plenty of us that buy Corbon DPX .380 online because we can't find it locally anywhere.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby rtk on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:40 pm

Ron,

How about some items for IDPA such as timers, vests, range bags, chairs, holsters and maybe a Glock for Jac714 :o (just kidding). I have been searching for a vest for IDPA (I don't like 511 stuff, it's to heavy) and it's hard to find something that works around town. I would much rather give you my money than someone I do not know.

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby justaguy on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:05 pm

How about affordable health care.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby 1911fan on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Galco has like 61`different lines, when multiplied times the different guns they make those designs for it runs up to the hundreds just to have a single color and barrel length. I think expecting any store to carry that kind of inventory is a bit much. I would however like to see a store carry some of the more popular gun models in the more popular styles, OR set some kind of deal where they can get them post haste when ordered. I do think someone could do well bringing some carry gear keyed to women, maybe a few of the holster purses, maybe a few of the dayplanner type things, and some of the holsters out there that fit women. That would be a positive.
1911fan

Postby jac714 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:30 pm

rtk wrote:Ron,

How about some items for IDPA such as timers, vests, range bags, chairs, holsters and maybe a Glock for Jac714 :o (just kidding).

Well, that ain't gonna happen. :shameonyou: :angryvillagers:

A Block, I mean Glock is a fine gun, for someone else. ;)

I often wonder what kills the bad guy, the shock of the supreme uglyness of the Glock or the bullet. :deadhorse: :blah:

:flag: :salute:
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby hammAR on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:39 pm

+1 ...........GO Jac.................. :cheerleader2:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby jac714 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Gunleather, not plastic or nylon. I agree that it would be impossible to carry all the permutations of a holster line but a good selection for the common size and configuration of carry guns.

Between Streichers and other outdoor stores I imagine the clothing market is covered for the usual brands. A good selection of books and videos related to the sport would be nice as would applicable software.

Tac lights (a good selection of brands and configurations)
A good selection of pocket tools and knives.
Cleaning supplies
Gun Lubricants/Oils (Pretty well covered by Cabela's, Sportsmans Warehouse)
Targets in bulk, I would imagine it would be hard to compete on price with LE Targets but convienence would add value.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:45 pm

None of the voting options really fit so here goes,

Mid to high end shotguns - $3K - $6k, Italian preferablly.

More 1911 options - heck I'd settle for a nice selction of Springfield loaded models and up, but there are tons of products out there that are not in our market

Nicer pistol cases - the Bob Allen stuff is OK for single but try to find something you can put 5-6 pistols in without needing a forklift to move.

Ear/Eye protection - same 2-3 products at everystore.

I do buy some over the net on commodity products, the local guys just don't seem to get the pricing thing on mags and such. But big ticket items I like to shop local.

On the plus side we do have a great target company and the best reloading supply place I've every had access to.
mmcnx2

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:51 pm

justaguy wrote:How about affordable health care.

I thought we already figured out affordable health care here mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2497 :lol: :lol:

Ron
westberg

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, please don't stops with suggestions. We have members in retail and it may give them ideas as well. We can all benefit from these ideas.

How about some items for IDPA such as timers, vests, range bags, chairs, holsters and maybe a Glock for Jac714 :o (just kidding). I have been searching for a vest for IDPA (I don't like 511 stuff, it's to heavy) and it's hard to find something that works around town. I would much rather give you my money than someone I do not know.

rtk
Rick have you seen other vests that would work? I have also been checking out different options.

I agree on the holster selections being limited at any given retail location, but I also believe the number of models per manufacture could be managed to provide a very nice selection to choose from.

Ron
westberg

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:28 pm

I've been getting a friend into shooting as well as adding to my collection recently and these are the things I've had to look really hard to find.

A basic cleaning kit for handguns, I went to three different shops to find all the things he needed for his new gun and had to go to a fourth to find what should be a rather ubiquitous item for mine.

Eyes and ears, I can't find any electronic muffs under $150 or shooting glasses that go over prescription eyeglasses.

Decent to good holsters, even the local gunshop only has one good brand of holster and those are ridiculously overpriced. I'd love to see a Comp-Tac dealer locally.

Targets in bulk, the packs of ten or twenty bullseyes that you can get at dick's or fleet farm are fine for a little rifle plinking but I'd really like a place where I could pick up different kinds of targets from what the ranges sell or just large amounts of them at a decent price.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby rtk on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:11 am

westberg wrote:Thanks everybody for the suggestions, please don't stops with suggestions. We have members in retail and it may give them ideas as well. We can all benefit from these ideas.

rtk
Rick have you seen other vests that would work? I have also been checking out different options.

I agree on the holster selections being limited at any given retail location, but I also believe the number of models per manufacture could be managed to provide a very nice selection to choose from.

Ron

I just ordered a vest from a company in California, I will PM you with the link. The price is about $25.00 less than a 511 or Woolrich brand.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Next

Return to General Gun Chat