Mills Fleet Farm Handgun Ammo Policy

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Mills Fleet Farm Handgun Ammo Policy

Postby PileDriver on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:58 pm

One of the few companies that has a true slogan. "We love it". :)
PileDriver

Postby Spike on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Joe's has it out in the open as well. There must be a loophole of some sort.
Spike

Postby JustinPo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 pm

I will now go out of my way to buy ammo at fleet farm, I hate giving money to wal-mart so I buy online but if I can find a local store with good prices I don't care if i have to drive a bit when I can get it when I want it.
JustinPo

Postby goett047 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:09 am

Soooooo much less of a hassle then those stupid bags and slips
goett047

Postby shooter115 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:32 am

Squib Joe wrote:Cool that FF is being responsive, but having handgun ammo that isn't in an enclosed display case, behind a counter, or under observation at all times is still against the law.

Why is it on this site site, someone always has to stand up and try to play the legal card on every single thread. If it's working don't try to break it. In essence, unless you are a lawyer proficiant in these matters, shut up, leave it alone and quit trying to sound like an anti. I'm sure FF has taken the time to cover themselves. I'm sorry, but this is one of the worst traits about this forum and it's getting damn old.
shooter115

Postby Dave Timm on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:59 am

Wow guys, I leave for a few hours and I come back to three pages, pretty cool and thank you for your support!!! To answer the legal question, all of our stores are in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, thus why some stores have the handgun ammo out and others behind the shelf, city ordinances etc. We comply with MN law just like many of the other retailers do as noted, I can't comment on the "hows" of Fleet Farm store operations but we are in compliance with the law.

As far as reloading components, so much interest, I can't make any promises but I can say it is something we have heard loud and clear and are looking in to it. We know you guys love reloading stuff so I can't give you a definite when, how, or what, but we are in the information gathering stage and have been looking at a lot of product from our meetings at SHOT show. Don't hold your breath and don't go saying that Dave said etc etc, but we know there is a good market there :).

Thanks guys, our customers is what makes Mills Fleet Farm great, so again, Thank You!
Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby Dave Timm on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:01 am

yuppiejr wrote:Superb... this and a direct response in less than 24 hours to an inquiry via your web form about a firearms purchase.. you guys really walk the walk.

This is one of best compliments we can get, thank you. I am not sure what your contact was with us but this is what we strive for, great customer service. If it was with me about a Huldra, I can't match the screen name sorry.

We know the firearms and ammunition area is growing so we are looking at all sorts of stuff. I know the boss would be mad if I let all the cats out of the bag but so you know, we are listening and hear you, and on top of that, appreciate your feedback!

Take care,
Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 am

There is no problem with Gouger Mountain having pistol ammo out on the shelves, because once you see the obscene price you will pass out from shock and won't be able to buy it!!

And yes, just stocking primers and powder would be just fine for this old reloader. Brass and bullets are available online, as well as dies, and getting into those areas whould just jack your inventory through the roof and yield very low sales relative to primers and powder.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby ex-LT on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:55 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:
ranger wrote:If it’s against the law, how does Cabela’s get by with it?
All of their handgun ammo can be picked off the shelf.

I dunno. I didn't write the law, or necessarily agree with it

"Display of Handgun Ammunition. Ammunition retailers may not display handgun ammunition in a manner that is directly accessible to minors under age 18. Violation is a petty misdemeanor. Ammunition in an enclosed display case or behind a counter is deemed inaccessible. There are exceptions for ammunition accessible to juvenile employees, ammunition under observation by employees, and ammunition displayed in an area where the store takes reasonable steps to exclude minors, as well as ammunition suitable for big game hunting. (Minn. Stat. § 609.663)"

Seems that reasonable steps is the key.

Could it be that 'reasonable steps' could be that the registers are programmed to require that the cashier enters a DOB when you purchase ammunition of any kind?
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 am

Seismic Sam wrote:There is no problem with Gouger Mountain having pistol ammo out on the shelves, because once you see the obscene price you will pass out from shock and won't be able to buy it!!

There it is!
Holland&Holland

Mills Fleet Farm Handgun Ammo Policy

Postby Snowgun on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm telling you, FFFMJ's would sell!

(fleet farm full metal jacket) :D
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:20 pm

shooter115 wrote:In essence, unless you are a lawyer proficiant in these matters, shut up, leave it alone and quit trying to sound like an anti.

Because only them "proficiant" lawyers should know what the laws is, what with all their fancy talk and book learnin'.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby peckerhead on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Dave-HuldraArms wrote:Hey Guys,

In the past a few have asked about the policy regarding buying handgun ammo at Mills Fleet Farm stores. Just to give you an update, admin team has heard your complaints and has changed policy. Some stores it is still behind the counter, others it is out on the shelf, but the days of ID, signing the form, and bagging are done. You may be asked for age verification at checkout but that is a common occurrence at most retailers.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks for your support of our stores, just thought you would like the update.
Take care guys,
Dave

I was glad to read this. I had stopped purchasing handgun ammo at Fleet Farm years ago due to this policy.

Thank you for your responsiveness. I'll return the favor, and make that large ammo purchase I have been planning at Fleet Farm :-)
peckerhead

Postby antimatter on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:48 pm

I stopped by Fleet Farm (Brooklyn Park) this morning to check out some other stuff and found the store employees in the process of moving the handgun ammo out to the regular shelving in front of the counter. Thanks for making it easier to browse and purchase ammunition! BTW, I had to delay the moving a bit make another purchase, but otherwise the service was great and I enjoyed my shopping experience. Thanks, again!
antimatter

Postby ranger on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:02 pm

antimatter wrote:I stopped by Fleet Farm (Brooklyn Park) this morning to check out some other stuff and found the store employees in the process of moving the handgun ammo out to the regular shelving in front of the counter. Thanks for making it easier to browse and purchase ammunition! BTW, I had to delay the moving a bit make another purchase, but otherwise the service was great and I enjoyed my shopping experience. Thanks, again!

Thanks for the update. FF has always been one of my favorite stores and this makes it even better. ;)
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat