Mills Fleet Farm Handgun Ammo Policy

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Mills Fleet Farm Handgun Ammo Policy

Postby rugersol on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:11 am

Snowgun wrote:
Dave-HuldraArms wrote: Im not sure how the Fleet Farm Full Metal Jacket suggestion will go but I will pitch it to the bosses!

Go to the Brian Enos forums ... Everyone is looking at how to shave a penny off of bullets...

Ya'll hafta forgive my friend ... he's a little slow. :?

FMJ is fine fer .355 ... JHP, fer the same price, is better.

Fer .40+, plated was the correct answer ... plated!

Other guys ... probly ones who don't shoot 10,000rd+ per year ... will insist .40+ "jacketed" is somehow "better". I've shot plated in a bullseye league last winter ... and won all (open-sight)) categories, regardless of caliber (.22 not withstanding). I shot plated last summer in USPSA ... I moved up a class ... and almost beat my mentor (he took 1st Image). Anyone who says .40+ "jacketed" is "better" is parroting interlinks BS. :roll:

Once the bullets are in the berm, who cares if they were jacketed 'er plated? 8-)

Fer .355, jacketed is better as they're most common in "comp'd" guns (which'd otherwise preclude the use of plated bullets). If ya could offer both plated and jacketed .355, that would be great! If ya stuck to only one 'er two weights per caliber, ya'd have less stuff settin' on the shelves ... and/or more room (yer gonna need it) to stock the good stuff. I'd say 185gr - 200gr .45 ... 165gr - 180gr .40 ... and I'd do 124gr 9mm ... both plated and jacketed ... jacketed, it'd be a bit easier to make "major" ... and plated s/b otherwise cheaper than 115gr FMJ, anyhow. ;)

JHP is better as the base of the bullet is then "covered" ... less "bad stuff" vaporized, and breathed in. :(

On that note, don't forget cast ... SASS is the most popular pistol shooting sport in the world ... I'd say 200gr RNFP .45 and 158gr RNBB (SAECO #391 ... horrible pic, following) ... I realize some guys prefer extremely lightweight (fer caliber) bullets, but these often leave far too much room in the case for what little powder goes in ... not a good combination ... fer any reason! ...

"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Dave Timm on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks again guys for the support and suggestions. I appreciate the feedback. Don't hold your breath on the fleet farm bullets we have a lot going on this year that in excited about.
The handguns is something that we continue to work on both in models carries and on the display. We appreciate our customer support from you guys. Handguns wasn't an afterthought per say but I know the cases started to fill up quick!

Take care
Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Mills Fleet Farm Handgun Ammo Policy

Postby Snowgun on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 am

What my "faster" buddy doesn't understand, is that it doesn't make sense for a company to go crazy offering every option of a new product off the bat. :roll:

Start with fmj or plated (not both though) in a couple calibers and weights. At the same price, people will take fmj over plated. People will take fmj over jhp to save money.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby rugersol on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 am

Snowgun wrote:At the same price, people will take fmj over plated.

At a lower price, (interlinks BS, not withstanding), people will take plated. 8-)

At the same price, people will take JHP over FMJ. ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby rukwikenuf on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm

i'm a little slow on the uptake of some things, so i stopped into the BP FF today after class. got some food for the mutt, new laces for my workboots, a set of tiedown straps, Hornady Critical Defense in .357mag, and a big bag of peanuts. i love that place.

but yes, the handgun ammo is no longer behind the counter. prices of the Hornady weren't horrific, but they need to either expand the handguns or eliminate them. having 18-25 handguns to choose from is weak. i know they aren't a Gun Shop, but if they are stepping into the hangun game, they should step up their game!!!
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:53 pm

rukwikenuf wrote: i know they aren't a Gun Shop, but if they are stepping into the hangun game, they should step up their game!!!

Baby steps.

Some is better than none, and I'd bet that eventually they will get more. I'm just glad that MORE places are carrying handguns than LESS places.

A definite step in the right direction.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby rukwikenuf on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Stradawhovious wrote: I'm just glad that MORE places are carrying handguns than LESS places.

+1! and the guys at the gun counter are always excited to see me, asking about my carry gun of the day! today, the Tarus 357!
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Dave Timm on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:07 pm

We are building more and more in the firearms department, handguns included. Some stores have more models then others and sometimes thats just plain due to inventory availability. We know that people are excited about our new expansion so we want to deliver. Right now we are really excited about our range project in the Baxter (Brainerd Lakes) area. You will see improvements to the firearms department as time goes on, we know some stores are not ideal but we are going to get there. As Stradawhovious said, baby steps. We are making steps and will continue to do so. We love our customers and want them to love what we carry so we will be selecting inventory based on what people want and try to keep you guys happy. Again, don;t hold your breath on the bullets just yet :D

Take care,
Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby TommyMN on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Yeah, Gouger Mountain's prrices in Woodbury are so high that I think I may askTootsie to do a price comparison between the most popular kinds of ammo we sell at OGC and Gouger Mountain. OGC is definitely not Fleet Farm, and our ammo prices are not cheap but there's no concerted effort to screw our paying customers, and there is the convenience factor of being able to buy ammo from us and be back on the line in 3 minutes. I'm really wondering if OGC might be CHEAPER than GM with their sky-high prices.

Box of 250 9mm Remington at gander was 109 plus tax. I was shocked.
TommyMN

Postby Snakeman721 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59 am

TommyMN wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Yeah, Gouger Mountain's prrices in Woodbury are so high that I think I may askTootsie to do a price comparison between the most popular kinds of ammo we sell at OGC and Gouger Mountain. OGC is definitely not Fleet Farm, and our ammo prices are not cheap but there's no concerted effort to screw our paying customers, and there is the convenience factor of being able to buy ammo from us and be back on the line in 3 minutes. I'm really wondering if OGC might be CHEAPER than GM with their sky-high prices.

Box of 250 9mm Remington at gander was 109 plus tax. I was shocked.

They're having a "sale" right now at Gander...box of 350 9mm Blazer Brass for $89.99.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Snowgun on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:
They're having a "sale" right now at Gander...box of 350 9mm Blazer Brass for $89.99.

Maybe they will have a Sale Sale?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby lenny7 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm

I like!
lenny7

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Nice! I'll check out the Rochester one soon, I'm getting low. :)
Thunder71

Postby ferric021 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks fleet farm.
ferric021

Postby theskalickys on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks Fleet Farm,

I just wish I could afford those "tricked" out AR15s at the lino lakes store. That is just not fair.. display so I walk in there and make my draw drop.. At least I can watch the video in the store seeing someone else shooting them..
theskalickys

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat