Who get serial number 1

Ron
12%
Dawn
88%

Total votes : 25

AR-15 build "Problem need help"

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:35 pm

OK I need help. At the gun show this past weekend I stopped at the Defensive Edge table to look at the rifes and talk to Sully about a up coming carbine class. He also showed me the new AR lowers their building and if I was interested I could get my own serial number on it. Since that was one of the items I was looking for at the show and the price seem good, I thought I would check into it this week. So yesterday I went to Territorial Gunsmiths and had a chat with Randy about ordering a couple of lowers with personalized serial numbers. As we are talking he mentions he already has two lowers with serial numbers 1 and 2 available so end of discussion, I bought them.

My problem actually begins Monday night when my wife (the lovely Dawn) asks what my plans are the next day. I let her know I'm planning on buying two AR lowers and her question is.............what are you going to do with those............well I'm thinking its going to go one of two ways. Me being way ahead of her :roll: ask why do you want a rifle..........her answer is yes :shock: So again me being ahead of her thinking curve, this can be good. So the next day I make the purchase and have it all planned out I will take number 1 and she can have number 2...........no problem. Well the problem......she gets home and I explained what happened and how I was able to get serial numbers 1 and 2...........she thinks its better then a customized number. As were talking about what shape the rifles will take she drops the bombshell she want number 1 :o

Who gets number one, we agreed to let the forum members decide with a poll.
Attachments
AR Lower.jpg
westberg

Re: AR-15 build "Problem need help"

Postby nyffman on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:43 pm

If that was the toughest problem I had to overcome when increasing my firearm population, I'd be glad to let her be #1.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:50 pm

nyffman wrote:If that was the toughest problem I had to overcome when increasing my firearm population, I'd be glad to let her be #1.

That's another problem, I really haven't been increasing mine, we've been increasing hers lately.
westberg

Postby rtk on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:53 pm

That's a no-brainer, she gets # 1 for putting up with you ;)

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:56 pm

rtk wrote:That's a no-brainer, she gets # 1 for putting up with you ;)

rtk

Don't be giving her ideas she will be reading this. :lol:
westberg

Postby Tutmos on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:24 pm

My wife was unhappy when I ordered an Armory Safe from Patriot Safes last week. It turns out they aren't made in China after all. :oops: I thought the fire protection aspect for the baby pictures and jewely etc. would be enough to sell her but being the cynic that I taught her to be she assumed it was for me to keep guns in. :o

I wish I had the problem of my wife demanding a specific rifle.
Tutmos

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:25 pm

WAY TOO EASY RON

She who MUST be obeyed, can have what ever her little heart desires!! 8-)

Because .................Duct tape on the legs, in the middle of the night, is a fate worse than death!!

After all, she is YOUR #1

And when guys at the range ask, so who got #1, the look on their faces will be priceless, when you say "The Wife"
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Brit, I was hoping to get the edge in the poll and then leverage it.......... ;)
westberg

Postby JFettig on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Your pretty much SOL ;)

More importantly than who gets what is what other parts are going on those?

Jon
JFettig

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:57 pm

More importantly than who gets what is what other parts are going on those?

We are still deciding how the finished rifles with be set up. I would like to have two uppers for each one, 16" barrel tactical setup and then longer barrel with scope for longer range. If anybody wants to make setup suggestions feel free. I will post pictures when they are together.
westberg

Postby JFettig on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:34 pm

I really do not like collapsible stocks. I prefer A1/A2 stocks or something like an Ace stock.
If you want a nice trigger, go with a nice 2 stage or a JP single stage. I have a LMT 2 stage in my standard AR and really like it.

You'll probably want a free float tube, I'm not a big fan of the quad railed ones unless your actually gonna use them.

I have a 16" standard DPMS ap4 non chrome barrel on mine and I'm able to shoot under 1" and down to 1/2" at 100yds from time to time.
If I was to buy another barrel I would get a nicer one.

You definitely want A3 uppers on these. Do you have any price limitations? I'm sure we can help you spend way too much money on this if you let us!

Jon
JFettig

Postby Ironbear on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:58 pm

Ladies first...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I have a Wilson UT-15 Tactical Carbine already with a JP trigger in it, and I picked up a JP trigger group from Randy and will be ordering a second one. As far as the lowers, I'm thinking about the following ambi safety selector and extended over sized mag release, anybody experience anything negative with them? The stocks I'm still considering the options.

I should mention that this project would not really qualify as a complete build in the sense that I will most likely order the uppers to my spec's. I don't have the tools for checking head space and torquing the barrel.

I hope you don't think less of me.......... :)
westberg

Postby Fast351 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Ironbear wrote:Ladies first...

Yep. Lucky SOB, wish mine would ask for an AR....

How long did you spend at Randy's? Seems like I can't get out of there in less than 2 hours anytime I'm there. :D

I would recommend if this is going to be a "fighting" gun, that you use a standard single stage trigger. The 2 stage triggers have a little arm on them that's much thinner than a regular hammer, and they do tend to break. The SLR15 lowers have a set screw in them that allows you to adjust out all trigger creep (preloads trigger). Couple that with a JP reduced spring set, and you'll have a great trigger.

As for uppers, the long range scoped stick can be an HBAR if you want, as weight doesn't matter as much for that type of shooting, but my recommendation is a nice lightweight barrel for the carbine. Try to keep the whole rifle under 8 pounds, it'll make it much easier on you if you ever have to carry it for an extended period of time...

JMO
Fast351

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:18 pm

Ironbear wrote:Ladies first...

Man I'm getting beat up in the poll, now I know you all are fair play and everybody is equal and there should not be a preferred class kind of guy's so I hope your weighing everything equally. :lol: :lol:

Fast351 I did spend sometime there, but did have to leave before I was ready. We're leaving for Dallas in the morning for a long weekend so I won't be at the shoot this weekend. I would like to check your rifle out in more detail.
westberg

Next

Return to General Gun Chat