Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Shipyard on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Last edited by Shipyard on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Re: dumb AR question... building a pistol lower

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 pm

have it altered (ie: engraved) to say PISTOL

probably need to have actual advice on this, as far as what steps to take, but a lower is a lower. you could build it into a standard AR, an SBR or a pistol.
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby JJ on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Lower is transferred as other. As long as it has never been assembled as a rifle it can be assembled as a pistol. No engraving saying pistol needed.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Scratch on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:54 am

JJ wrote:Lower is transferred as other. As long as it has never been assembled as a rifle it can be assembled as a pistol. No engraving saying pistol needed.

+1
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

dumb AR question... building a pistol lower

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:01 am

I think the ATF just clarified this recently. So as long as they can't prove it's ever been assembled as a rifle you are golden. ;)
I love it when a plan comes together!
Hammer99...

Postby Morbius on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:45 am

You can have them transfer as a pistol too, I have a reciever in safe I had transferred as a pistol. I zip tied a tag to it so I didn't mix it up, overkill I know but atf scares me :)
Morbius

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 am

Morbius wrote:You can have them transfer as a pistol too

Stripped lowers can no longer be transferred as a pistol or rifle. They MUST be done as an "other". Additionally, the law now requires that stripped lowers only be sold to those over 21 years of age (the reasoning, I guess, is that somebody younger could take the lower home and build a pistol as a "work around" to handgun buying restrictions).

In the past, manufacturers would ship lowers as either rifles or pistols. Sometimes, but not always, the lowers were marked as a pistol. This is no longer done.

When a stock goes on, it becomes a rifle and can never be made into a pistol. Until that happens, any lower coming direct from the factory may be configured into a pistol. If you do this, I would suggest you keep a good copy of your receipt showing that you purchased your lower without a stock of any kind.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:28 am

Hammer99... wrote:I think the ATF just clarified this recently. So as long as they can't prove it's ever been assembled as a rifle you are golden. ;)

Here it is... I guess "clarified" is misnomer....
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Once a rifle always a rifle...
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun
or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less
than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or
produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all
requirements of the NFA

Pistol can be made into a rifle....
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made
when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a
barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration
not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol)

Now this is the interesting part. If a manufacture designed an AR kit that had a removable stock and a quik change barrel it would be legal to change it back and forth.
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made
when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a
rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g.,
as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length)
Hammer99...

Postby solidgun on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 am

Get a stripped lower and make sure it is transferred as other.

Don't get it engraved as pistol since you can change that into a rifle when you get sick of the pistol, or if you get SBR forms squared away.

Can't go back to pistol once it becomes a rifle.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Hammer99... on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:06 am

solidgun wrote:Get a stripped lower and make sure it is transferred as other.

Just curious. Why do you say this?
Hammer99...

Postby Tromix-Saiga-12 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
Morbius wrote:You can have them transfer as a pistol too

Stripped lowers can no longer be transferred as a pistol or rifle. They MUST be done as an "other". Additionally, the law now requires that stripped lowers only be sold to those over 21 years of age (the reasoning, I guess, is that somebody younger could take the lower home and build a pistol as a "work around" to handgun buying restrictions).

In the past, manufacturers would ship lowers as either rifles or pistols. Sometimes, but not always, the lowers were marked as a pistol. This is no longer done.

When a stock goes on, it becomes a rifle and can never be made into a pistol. Until that happens, any lower coming direct from the factory may be configured into a pistol. If you do this, I would suggest you keep a good copy of your receipt showing that you purchased your lower without a stock of any kind.

+1000 what Squib Joe said
Atomic Tactical Inc.
8901 Lyndale Ave South
Bloomington MN 55420
07 FFL

Store Hours: 12pm-8pm Monday-Saturday
Tromix-Saiga-12

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Those are the stupidest laws...or at least in the top rank. What if we just tossed the whole SBR/S and suppressor parts of the NFA?
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby jspace on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:00 pm

I had read somewhere that receivers were supposed to have been transferred as "Other" since 1968. It was only a few years ago that the ATF sent a reminder or revised the form or something.
jspace

Return to General Gun Chat