Pepper-spray may deter bears better than guns

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Andrew Rothman on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:46 am

http://www.gizmag.com/pepper-spray-may- ... guns/9060/

March 27, 2008 New analysis from Brigham Young University suggests that those traveling in bear territory may be better off leaving the guns at home and packing pepper-spray instead. The bears, we expect, agree.

This advice - along with some other invaluable hints for dealing with bears in the wild - comes from associate professor of wildlife science Thomas S. Smith, who along with his colleagues studied 71 bear spray incidents over 20 years in Alaska, where there are an estimated 150,000 bears. The findings showed that cans of bear pepper spray, which are available for around $30-$40) were effective in deterring aggressive bear behavior in 92 percent of the cases. Smith's previous research showed that guns were effective only about 67 percent of the time. Understandable, this is in part this is due the fact that in trying to shoot straight with a 1200 pound grizzly bearing down on you is not an easy task, particularly when it takes an average of four hits to stop the attack.

"People working or recreating in bear habitat should feel confident they are safe if carrying bear spray," Smith said.

The study also establishes the effectiveness of the spray itself (though the data did not allow a comparison between brands). "Working in the bear safety arena, I even found a lot of resistance to bear spray among professionals," Smith said of the product. "There was no good, clean data set that demonstrated definitively that it worked, so that's why we did this research."

The research also found that 35 percent of incidents studied involved hikers, with 30 percent involving bear management activities and that 60 percent of the incidents occurred between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Seventy percent of the incidents studied involved brown (grizzly) bears, 28 percent involved black bears and in the first documented cases, two involved polar bears. It also showed that use of the spray will rarely be effected by windy conditions and of the 71 incidents documented, only a small percentage resulted in any level of harm to the user with 10 incidents of minor irritation and two of near incapacitation.

Interestingly, the study also found that the practice of spraying tents and camp equipment as a deterrent is likely to backfire, with bears actually being attracted by this method in 11 cases.

During his 16 years of field work Smith has never had cause to use the spray himself - proof that using caution and knowing what you are dealing with is the best deterrent of all. Indeed Smith believes that one of the key reasons that the spray works is that it stops the user from running a way - a bad move when faced with bear attack.

Smith and co-authors on the paper are Stephen Herrero, professor emeritus at the University of Calgary; Terry D. Debruyn of the National Park Service, and James M. Wilder of Minerals Management Service, report their findings in the April issue of the Journal of Wildlife Management.
Andrew Rothman

Re: Pepper-spray may deter bears better than guns

Postby Pinnacle on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:15 am

I find it quite difficult to agree with a Bear however, Pepper spray may be a great thing to have in bear country - as long as you have a gun to back that up should you need to step it up a tad.

I am all for not killing bears for any reason than being left with no other choice in the matter - but when it is time to do business - do business.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby JohninMinnesota on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:22 am

Andrew Rothman wrote:http://www.gizmag.com/pepper-spray-may-deter-bears-better-than-guns/9060/

<snip>

"People working or recreating in bear habitat should feel confident they are safe if carrying bear spray," Smith said.

<snip>

During his 16 years of field work Smith has never had cause to use the spray himself - proof that using caution and knowing what you are dealing with is the best deterrent of all.

Here, take one of these pepper spray cans and off you go! Don't worry, you are safe now!

This guy hates humans ;)
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Postby 1911fan on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:05 pm

actually the title is correct if you read it.

Pepper spray may DETER bears better than guns. Bears are not afraid of guns, they do not go to the movies and watch the devastation a single barrel derringer will do thus when we point a gun at them they are unaware of how we are going to suddenly pull the trigger and flip that bear right over upside down. When sprayed with the hot sauce, they say, damn, that two legged skunk is unpleasant and they decide to walk away.

However, if they just got hosed by two skunks in the previous day, getting a blast of bear-be-gone is just going to push them over the edge. THEN you need the definitive back up.
1911fan

Postby Pat on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:28 pm

What if "your" bear should like his food a little on the spicy side? :roll:
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby TC95GT on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:31 pm

March 27, 2008 New analysis from Brigham Young University suggests that those traveling in bear territory may be better off leaving the guns at home and packing pepper-spray instead. The bears, we expect, agree.

MAY be better? I just don't thing I am personally willing to take that chance. If this stuff works as advertised great, but if I were going into known bear country I'd want both.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby TC95GT on Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Double Post
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:56 pm

Better be aware of the way the wind is blowing or you may take your self out. Bear" hmm that wus a spicey one".
Sorcerer

Postby lenny7 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Sorcerer wrote:Better be aware of the way the wind is blowing or you may take your self out. Bear" hmm that wus a spicey one".

If you end up taking yourself out and can't see, just shoot towards the side that you feel the most pain on.
lenny7

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:45 pm

The bears were just starting to turn their lives around.
Maybe we should set up lemonade stands and give advice that keys and whistle are the best defence
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby Wadero on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Besides, a bad bear would probably just take the gun away and use it against you.
“You were born free, you got f***ed out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it.” -- Doug Stanhope
Wadero

Postby lenny7 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:37 am

BRIT_in_the_weeds wrote:The bears were just starting to turn their lives around.
Maybe we should set up lemonade stands and give advice that keys and whistle are the best defence

I think the bears just need some diversity training. We need to celebrate our differences.

My two buddies and I were scouting our deer hunting land one time and we came across a black bear no more than 20 yards away. A wave of calm came over me when I realized I didn't have to run faster than the bear, I just had to run faster than one of the guys I was with.
lenny7

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
gOOD ONE
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby justaguy on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:43 am

I think death is the best deterrent and spray doesn’t offer that.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby R.E.T. on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:10 am

[quote="Andrew Rothman"]http://www.gizmag.com/pepper-spray-may-deter-bears-better-than-guns/9060/

The findings showed that cans of bear pepper spray, which are available for around $30-$40) were effective in deterring aggressive bear behavior in 92 percent of the cases.

So what happened in the other 8 percent?
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Next

Return to General Gun Chat