Constitutional Carry passes in Illinois???!!!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby shadeslanding on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Pike County Illinois has passed Constitutional Carry in defiance of State law... could be interesting.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/133 ... 8.facebook
========
Shade's Landing Inc. FirearmsAndLiberty.com ShadesLanding.com
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
Over 9,000 citizens trained to arms since 2003
========
shadeslanding

Postby BBeckwith on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:51 pm

That will create some interesting court battles. I assume that they have some test case lawyers lined up.

The 5 counties becoming West Virginia was an interesting side bar to the story as well
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Re: Constitutional Carry passes in Illinois???!!!

Postby Anokamnman on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:53 pm

This is going to be interesting to follow. Cant wait to see what happens next
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby TTS on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Go Pike County! We are rooting for you.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby XD/Dale on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:52 pm

I hate to be the fly in the ointment. But traveling to the metro area from the Duluth area could be a real pain in the @$$ if every county and city along the way had different gun laws. :geek:
I predict future happiness for
Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the
pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
XD/Dale

Postby Cadet on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Im excited to see how this plays out.
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:19 pm

XD/Dale wrote:I hate to be the fly in the ointment. But traveling to the metro area from the Duluth area could be a real pain in the @$$ if every county and city along the way had different gun laws. :geek:

I think the real story here is that the rest of IL is starting to stand up to Chicago and Cook Cty. That being said it may be the trigger needed to sway just a few more legislative votes. Looking back Illinois failed to pass a Personal Protection act by 6 votes last year. If nothing else it will probably force a state supreme court ruling.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby MissouriDave on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:39 am

They continue to try to move in the right direction. The laws in IL are oppressive. Hopefully there will be plenty more of these types of moves to ease the restrictions.

I was in IL last year and was going to buy some ammo and other sporting goods. They told me that I needed to state a game animal I was going to hunt with the ammo and it had to be in season. I told them it was for the range. They said you can only buy it if you state a game animal I was going to hunt with the ammo and it had to be in season. I told the people at the gun counter that I was not going to play that game, and they need to work to change the laws of the state, and that I wasn't going to buy anything from them because they all let the laws get so oppressive. I hope the people will stick up for their rights and get the laws changed in Foidistan.
MissouriDave

Postby jdege on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 am

I didn't remember where Pike County was. I should have realized - it's in the heart of Forgottonia.
jdege

Postby dshortone on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:28 pm

MissouriDave wrote:They continue to try to move in the right direction. The laws in IL are oppressive. Hopefully there will be plenty more of these types of moves to ease the restrictions.

I was in IL last year and was going to buy some ammo and other sporting goods. They told me that I needed to state a game animal I was going to hunt with the ammo and it had to be in season. I told them it was for the range. They said you can only buy it if you state a game animal I was going to hunt with the ammo and it had to be in season. I told the people at the gun counter that I was not going to play that game, and they need to work to change the laws of the state, and that I wasn't going to buy anything from them because they all let the laws get so oppressive. I hope the people will stick up for their rights and get the laws changed in Foidistan.

Preaching to the gun store employee and not purchasing from them will get you no where besides taking money away from their business. Sticking up for one's own rights are important, but since we live in a democracy, the (vocal) majority will still rule. These people are part of the reason that there are at least some firearm rights in this state. Don't be too quick to discount residents of such states, nor their efforts.

Subsequently, being a resident of California, I've seen so much ignorance towards firearms and laws out here that it just gets sickening. I'm boycotting companies such as Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt for their sales policies of "assault weapon parts" to California and other states which are largely misinformed. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to buy parts (magazines aside, and I get that) for my AR-15/AK-47. Those FFL's on Gunbroker.com who advertise "no sales to California" are actually cutting out the largest market for handguns in the nation. Go figure.
dshortone

Postby shadeslanding on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:21 am

MissouriDave wrote:They continue to try to move in the right direction. The laws in IL are oppressive. Hopefully there will be plenty more of these types of moves to ease the restrictions.

Wow. I'm originally from IL and did have a FOID card when I lived down there prior to 1988. Returning to visit Dad and taking him out to the range was never a problem after I moved up here to MN. Simply showed my out of state license and purchased all the ammo I wanted. It was legal to sell ammo to an out of state person, but residents of IL had to have the FOID to purchase ammo. This is the first I've heard of needing to specify a game animal before a clerk would sell you the ammo. What store was it in? A Wallmart? Or a sporting good store or gun store? Just curious.
========
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
========
shadeslanding

Postby nyffman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 am

BBeckwith wrote:I think the real story here is that the rest of IL is starting to stand up to Chicago and Cook Cty. That being said it may be the trigger needed to sway just a few more legislative votes. Looking back Illinois failed to pass a Personal Protection act by 6 votes last year. If nothing else it will probably force a state supreme court ruling.

The people of Chicago and Cook County want to have their civil right to self defense restored and are trying to drag their govt representatives, against the will of the party, to do just that.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby MissouriDave on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Shadeslanding said:
This is the first I've heard of needing to specify a game animal before a clerk would sell you the ammo. What store was it in? A Wallmart? Or a sporting good store or gun store? Just curious.

It was in Gander mountain in Peoria Il in July 2011.
MissouriDave

Postby shadeslanding on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:26 pm

MissouriDave wrote:Shadeslanding said:
This is the first I've heard of needing to specify a game animal before a clerk would sell you the ammo. What store was it in? A Wallmart? Or a sporting good store or gun store? Just curious.

It was in Gander mountain in Peoria Il in July 2011.

Thanks -

Here is what the law is or as interpreted by the IL State Police. It is on their web site FAQ FOID list.

"If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?
Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

Unloaded, and
Enclosed in a case, and
Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."

It does not address purchase. I'll edit this post when I locate the law.

EDIT (again - damn cat twice now has cancelled my entry by walking on the keyboard...)
I FOUND IT!

It is in the Illinois Supreme Court decision of 2011 in The People v. Holmes.

They noted the law states:
"“(a)(1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm
within this State without having in his or her possession a
Firearm Owner’s Identification Card previously issued in his
or her name by the Department of State Police under the
provisions of this Act.
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession
of firearms and firearm ammunition do not apply to:
(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or
registered to possess a firearm in their resident state[.]”

And the court agreed. Notice that the law states the provisions do not apply to non-residents who are licensed or registered to possess a
firearm in their resident state. So a purchase permit or carry permit would or should have been all you needed.
http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/S ... 109130.pdf

EDIT: Here is the URL to the IL State Trooper FOID FAQ
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
========
========
shadeslanding

Postby MissouriDave on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Maybe it is a local law or something? Obviously there is nothing in the items you put up that would require that.
MissouriDave

Return to General Gun Chat