Stand Your Ground?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Stand Your Ground?

Postby XDM45 on Sat May 05, 2012 9:32 am

TTS wrote:The shark tank analogy is the best I have heard for use of deadly force. If it isn't worth jumping into a shark tank for, it's not worth killing for. I would jump in to save my kids or wife but not for my wallet or car.

I think that's a great valid rule of thumb.

I was conversing with someone in line waiting for time at the range a week or so ago and we were discussing CCW Permits. He made mention that if he was in a bank and it was being robbed, he's not going to pull out his weapon to try and save the money that's insured and also replaceable; but if the criminals wanted to herd everyone into the vault to harm or kill them, well, that's another story. I think proper and correct judgment is the key.

If someone wants to take anything I own, I'll help them carry it out the door versus getting involved in a gunfight over it; but if what they want to take is my life or the lives of my wife, family members, then the proper measures must be taken to ensure that doesn't happen.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby bulletproof on Sat May 05, 2012 11:05 am

TTS wrote:The shark tank analogy is the best I have heard for use of deadly force. If it isn't worth jumping into a shark tank for, it's not worth killing for. I would jump in to save my kids or wife but not for my wallet or car.

Do you get to jump into the shark tank with your gun? :lol:
bulletproof

Postby TTS on Sat May 05, 2012 12:26 pm

bulletproof wrote:

Do you get to jump into the shark tank with your gun? :lol:

You are allowed a spear gun :lol:
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Hanns on Sun May 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Am I allowed to drop sticks of dynamite in the shark tank before jumping in?
Hanns

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon May 07, 2012 1:28 am

Hanns wrote:Am I allowed to drop sticks of dynamite in the shark tank before jumping in?

Only if your wife is in it. :P
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby XDM45 on Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:
Hanns wrote:Am I allowed to drop sticks of dynamite in the shark tank before jumping in?

I love my wife. I think if someone doesn't love their partner, they need to get out while they can.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Heffay on Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 am

XDM45 wrote:
gyrfalcon wrote:

I love my wife. I think if someone doesn't love their partner, they need to get out while they can.

You can love someone and want to dynamite them in a shark tank at the same time.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby bulletproof on Tue May 08, 2012 9:27 am

XDM45 wrote:I love my wife. I think if someone doesn't love their partner, they need to get out while they can.

Till death do you part! :mrgreen: :cheers:

These are sharks we're dealing with, I'm sure your wife will understand.

bulletproof

Postby XDM45 on Fri May 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, it looks like that woman in Florida got 20 years for firing into a wall. I understand that she returned to the scene after leaving the room to get a gun, thus she became the pursuer and no longer was the pursued; however I don't think the law takes into account something so subjective as the PTSD from physical/mental/emotional abuse many women suffer. I can see both the pros and cons, reasons for both "Guilty" and "Not Guilty" depending on what part of this case/situation you are talking about. I'm reserving any judgment on this one because like I said, I can see both sides and make points for/against each.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... fails?lite

I'm sure no one can debate two things:

1) The Trayvon Martin case affected this one.
2) SYG in general is under extreme scrutinization.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby tazdevil on Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 pm

bulletproof wrote:
XDM45 wrote:I love my wife. I think if someone doesn't love their partner, they need to get out while they can.

Till death do you part! :mrgreen: :cheers:

These are sharks we're dealing with, I'm sure your wife will understand.

I think we're going to need a bigger gun.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat