Looking for a range to shoot at night

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Like the title says, looking for somewhere to shoot at night, or at the least in the dark. Has to be legal, has to be private, has to be pretty close to the cities.

Let me know if you have or know of anywhere suitable. Thanks!
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Re: Looking for a range to shoot at night

Postby T.P.F.K.A.M on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:56 pm

North Mpls is full of them, hang on you said legal didn't you, hmm, damn you pre-meditation
T.P.F.K.A.M

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:26 pm

What about your basement? Have Shippy bust out your basement window again and, IF the cops come, just say you scared off an intruder. Be sure to put away the timer and the silhouette targets before they get there.
Pat Cannon

Postby Pezhead on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 pm

I've wore sunglasses indoors before. Not the same I know.
Pezhead

Postby XDM45 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Like the title says, looking for somewhere to shoot at night, or at the least in the dark. Has to be legal, has to be private, has to be pretty close to the cities.

I'm just curious, why do you want to shoot at night? Do you have a night scope, tracers, etc? The best bet I think would be to find someone with private land where you could go do some night shooting at; however, doing so within the city limits or even close to them may be problematic. Best to find space as far from the city as possible, especially if you plan on going all Rambo or something crazy like that.

Now how do you find such a place? Well, you can certainly ask on here, which you've done, but the problem I see beyond that is:

1) Why?
2) If you don't have a place already lined up, then you don't know someone, and why would someone let you shoot at night on their property?

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here and asking some questions. If I owned a bunch of land, would I let someone I didn't know come onto it and shoot at night (let alone for an unspecified reason)? No. I wouldn't. I don't think most people would either.

I'd bet that someone on this board either has or knows someone who owns or has access to the land you are looking for, but you may stand a better chance if you provide more details.

All just my opinion. I also tend to err on the side of caution as well, so keep that in mind.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby photogpat on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:20 pm

:hide: :hide: :hide:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby infidel on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 pm

I would appreciate some high speed night footage of bubba. Just to shoot at night should be reason enough though.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby 45Badger on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:37 pm

I got 80 acres about 2 hours north 8-)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:31 pm

When you find a place, I've been wanting to try some max-load .357s out of my snubby at night.

Also, you should probably get some of those Dragon's Breath shotgun shells, to see if they make any more flame than Bubba.
Pat Cannon

Postby AFTERMATH on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm

XDM45 wrote:
Stradawhovious wrote:Like the title says, looking for somewhere to shoot at night, or at the least in the dark. Has to be legal, has to be private, has to be pretty close to the cities.

I'm just curious, why do you want to shoot at night? Do you have a night scope, tracers, etc? The best bet I think would be to find someone with private land where you could go do some night shooting at; however, doing so within the city limits or even close to them may be problematic. Best to find space as far from the city as possible, especially if you plan on going all Rambo or something crazy like that.

Now how do you find such a place? Well, you can certainly ask on here, which you've done, but the problem I see beyond that is:

1) Why?
2) If you don't have a place already lined up, then you don't know someone, and why would someone let you shoot at night on their property?

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here and asking some questions. If I owned a bunch of land, would I let someone I didn't know come onto it and shoot at night (let alone for an unspecified reason)? No. I wouldn't. I don't think most people would either.

I'd bet that someone on this board either has or knows someone who owns or has access to the land you are looking for, but you may stand a better chance if you provide more details.

All just my opinion. I also tend to err on the side of caution as well, so keep that in mind.

Not the OP but I'll add my opinion on night shooting.

1) Because muzzle flash on various firearms is awesome - and flash suppression on various firearms is awesome! It's the only way to truly see the beauty of tracers. And most importantly, in my opinion, bad guys don't always have banker's hours.

2) In general, the shooting community is comprised of an awesome group of individuals, who are often more than generous, allowing you to shoot their guns, share techniques, tips and advice, and shoot on their land - Possibly even at night!

Probably the most important question would be: What type of night shooting is one looking for? Pistol? Rifle? Shotgun? M 79? Long range? Short range? Safe or unsafe? Lit or unlit targets?
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:26 pm

XDM45 wrote:I'm just curious, why do you want to shoot at night? Do you have a night scope, tracers, etc? The best bet I think would be to find someone with private land where you could go do some night shooting at; however, doing so within the city limits or even close to them may be problematic. Best to find space as far from the city as possible, especially if you plan on going all Rambo or something crazy like that.

1) Why?

I'd like to try to get some high speed photographs of pistols firing, and to do so effectively there needs to be as little ambient light as possible. Nothing as nefarious as you are making it out to be. I wasn't implying I would like to do this inside the city limits, but would rather not have to travel to the boundary waters.

but to answer your questions more specifically.....

XDM45 wrote:Do you have a night scope, tracers, etc? .

No.

XDM45 wrote:The best bet I think would be to find someone with private land where you could go do some night shooting at

Or maybe someone that has access to a legitimate indoor range, where no laws would be broken for shooting with the main bay lights off.

XDM45 wrote:Best to find space as far from the city as possible,

Why? there are plenty of places within an hour or two of the cities where this could be done legally. I just don't happen to own any land, or immediately know someone who owns land where this would be practical and safe.

XDM45 wrote:2) If you don't have a place already lined up, then you don't know someone, and why would someone let you shoot at night on their property?

Because I am a well established, and beleive it or not, pretty well respected member of the forum. I would imagine that there are plenty of folks who know me that would let me use their land if they had it, and I asked, and there are probably plenty of other people who DON'T know me who would let me use their land as well, provided they knew what I was up to, which they most certainly would do.

XDM45 wrote: If I owned a bunch of land, would I let someone I didn't know come onto it and shoot at night (let alone for an unspecified reason)? No. I wouldn't.

I don't blame you.

XDM45 wrote:I'd bet that someone on this board either has or knows someone who owns or has access to the land you are looking for, but you may stand a better chance if you provide more details.

Yes. And they probably would have simply asked.... "What do yo plan on doing?" and I would have said....."I'd like to try to get some high speed photographs of pistols firing, and to do so effectively there needs to be as little ambient light as possible." and they wouldn't feel silly for assuming someone they don't know wants to go all commando with tracers and night scopes in the middle of the city. :lol: :D In your defense, I certainly could have put more information in the main post, but I wouldn't want anyone to think I was a nerd for the whole photography thing. :lol:
Last edited by Stradawhovious on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stradawhovious

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 pm

45Badger wrote:I got 80 acres about 2 hours north 8-)

You kick ass. That would be great if you don't mind some asshat from the intrawebs setting up some photography equipment on your land......

I'm going to see if I can find a closer option first, but it would be a good opportunity to catch up with you. :D

Pat Cannon wrote:When you find a place, I've been wanting to try some max-load .357s out of my snubby at night.

Also, you should probably get some of those Dragon's Breath shotgun shells, to see if they make any more flame than Bubba.

You're on.

infidel wrote:I would appreciate some high speed night footage of bubba. Just to shoot at night should be reason enough though.

See.... I knew people would get it. :D
Stradawhovious

Postby Scratch on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I've been thinking about making a Bullet test tube for test firing. If I got that done, you could come do some test firing in my pole barn and we could turn out make it dark in there.

I'm in Hudson, and keep in mind... I don't have the test tube built yet....

Edit: but I just realized we could fill up a barrel with water and shoot through some carpet to stop the splash...

Just an idea.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Scratch wrote:I've been thinking about making a Bullet test tube for test firing. If I got that done, you could come do some test firing in my pole barn and we could turn out make it dark in there.

I'm in Hudson, and keep in mind... I don't have the test tube built yet....

Edit: but I just realized we could fill up a barrel with water and shoot through some carpet to stop the splash...

Just an idea.

Sounds like a great idea, but there is no hurry, and no need to set up anything temporary. Keep me posted, and let me know if there is anything you need help with on your end.
Stradawhovious

Postby adoptedson on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:...but I wouldn't want anyone to think I was a nerd for the whole photography thing. :lol:

LOL. That was my issue. I don't allow photography nerds on my land. Just kidding, I live in an apartment. Sounds like a cool project though, would love to see the results.
adoptedson

Next

Return to General Gun Chat