Wisconsin suppressor owners

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Wisconsin suppressor owners

Postby patrick on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:50 pm

You folks are so lucky.We can't own them here in Minnesota.STUPID LAW!Any way,I'd love to come out and play with one.I have some .22's with threaded barrels.How about it?I'll bring ammo and brew,something to grill,whatever.I just want to "play" with a suppressor.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Re: Wisconsin suppressor owners

Postby tim on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 pm

I didn't know they were legal in WI. I actually just discussed this with the hunting outfitter who's lodge I live in during the week and I was under the impression they couldn't have them.
tim

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:09 am

They are legal in WI.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby mnmike59 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:03 am

You can live in MN and own one. You can't keep it in this State. :evil: There's a place in SD that you can purchase one and store it there. Doesn't make a lot of sense, But if ya got to have one!!!
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby cobb on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 am

As far as suppressors go, is there such a thing as multi caliber? So I get one for my .458 SOCOM and I could also use it on my 6.8 SPC, or does the muzzle hole have to match the caliber?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:59 am

cobb wrote:As far as suppressors go, is there such a thing as multi caliber? So I get one for my .458 SOCOM and I could also use it on my 6.8 SPC, or does the muzzle hole have to match the caliber?

Yes, and they can be used across the spectrum of different calibers so long as you go DOWN in caliber, and not up. People often get a 7.62 suppressor and then use if for both a 7.62 rifle and a .223 AR. The issue is that you have to have the same mounting platform across the range of rifles that you use. The same adapter, or the same thread pitch depending on your suppressor. This is why QD suppressors from SureFire and AAC are very popular.
Desert Tactical Arms uses a 3/4x24 thread pitch for their .308 barrel, even though the standard thread pitch for .308s is 5/8x24. DTA does this because .338s are 3/4x24 and they have their own muzzle brake and QD suppressor designed to work together with that system. So, they designed one .338LM suppressor to work across their entire range of calibers. Pretty cool.
I can't wait until suppressors become legal here. Or I move to Wisconsin or South Dakota.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby patrick on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Suppressors will never be legal here (Minnesota).I guess us Minnesotans are a bunch of murderous criminals. I know a guy that manufactures them.He never has offered to let me "play" with one.He also manufactures machine guns and owns a range.He does on occasion have a machine gun night (you can rent and fire a machine gun).I forget which politician it was,but he put laws in place that will never allow them to be legal here.The guy was paranoid I guess.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:43 am

patrick wrote:Suppressors will never be legal here (Minnesota).I guess us Minnesotans are a bunch of murderous criminals. I know a guy that manufactures them.He never has offered to let me "play" with one.He also manufactures machine guns and owns a range.He does on occasion have a machine gun night (you can rent and fire a machine gun).I forget which politician it was,but he put laws in place that will never allow them to be legal here.The guy was paranoid I guess.

Please cite the "law" in place that makes it impossible for the law to be changed.
Holland&Holland

Postby cobb on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
patrick wrote:Suppressors will never be legal here (Minnesota).I guess us Minnesotans are a bunch of murderous criminals. I know a guy that manufactures them.He never has offered to let me "play" with one.He also manufactures machine guns and owns a range.He does on occasion have a machine gun night (you can rent and fire a machine gun).I forget which politician it was,but he put laws in place that will never allow them to be legal here.The guy was paranoid I guess.

Please cite the "law" in place that makes it impossible for the law to be changed.

Yes, please do. I would be interested in which form that would make such a law impossible to change or repeal. And no Minnesota politician that put any such law in place. The bill may have been introduced or sponsored by a single politician, but it had to be passed by the majority and signed into law by the governor.

Or was this done by some executive ordered? :?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 am

The suppressor ban was primarily put in place because of the DNR. It's kept in place by lack of legislation. Rep. Tony Cornish has indicated an interest in removing this prohibition.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Pat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:14 am

UnaStamus wrote:The suppressor ban was primarily put in place because of the DNR. It's kept in place by lack of legislation. Rep. Tony Cornish has indicated an interest in removing this prohibition.

Yup. It is a DNR deal - afraid of making poaching deer easier.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby ferch on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:31 pm

I would love to see suppressors become legal here in MN. Other than the typical "write a letter to your legislator" what could we do to try and get the ball rolling? I've written plenty of letters and never received anything other than a form letter in return so I'm not convinced the letters are even read.

Do you all think there are enough people that even want them allowed here to make it worthwhile? MN is one of the 11 states in the union that don't allow them - CA, NY and IL are obvious but Iowa and MN - really?
ferch

Postby Pat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Sometimes the DNR acts like a law unto itself.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Pat

Postby GunGoogler on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Pat wrote:Sometimes the DNR acts like a law unto itself.

Careful, Pat, they'll confiscate your gun for talking like that. Don't worry though, you can buy it back at auction.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Postby Pat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:57 pm

GunGoogler wrote:
Pat wrote:Sometimes the DNR acts like a law unto itself.

Careful, Pat, they'll confiscate your gun for talking like that. Don't worry though, you can buy it back at auction.

No crap... :twisted:
Pat

Next

Return to General Gun Chat