New to the site, need some info from the experts!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

New to the site, need some info from the experts!

Postby Need4Speed on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:48 am

New to the forum, so take it easy on me if I ask some stupid questions please!

Pretty new to the whole gun thing. I have 3 boys that are 20-25 now. Up until a couple years ago the only gun in the house was an old single shot H&R shotgun that sat in the closet. Now we have an AR15, a Barretta 9MM pistol, a Russian Mosen (7.62?), a 12 gauge Mossberg pump, a 22 rifle, a Savage 30.06, and just added a Saiga 5.45.

Brings me to my question. The boy has 600 rounds he's just itching to shoot with the 5.45. There is an indoor range a mile from my house, but he has no interest in indoor ranges. He wants to shoot at a variety of "stuff", including of all things a gallon jug of Aunt Jamima.

I understand that you can shoot in State Forests...but that seems to be hit or miss. It also seems to be our only choice.

Does anybody have a tried and true spot that they go plinking at that is maybe within 100 miles of the MPLS/St Paul area?

We are also looking at going to Zippel Bay, lake of the Woods area, around the end of July. Is there any area within a hour's drive of Zippel Bay that would be "safe" for some shooting fun?

Thanks!
Need4Speed

Re: New to the site, need some info from the experts!

Postby Pezhead on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 am

Welcome to the forum.
Pezhead

Postby JJ on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 am

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Need4Speed on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:55 am

That was helpful. Note to self...do a little searching first.

I found some GPS co-ordinates for a Chengwatana state forest. 45 51.30N by 092 45.946W. I plugged that in the iphone, and bingo! Only a slight problem, not sure if it's the phone or what. This location was on a dirt road, did not lead to anywhere to shoot. The road forks really close to this location, take the fork to the LEFT instead of the right and it takes you to a spot at a trailhead where it's pretty apparent people have been blasting away. Found all sorts of 45 shell casings.

Pulled out a 10" thick block of cut wood. Surprised as hell, from about 10 yards away the 545 would go clean thru it.
Need4Speed

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 am

Need4Speed wrote:Pulled out a 10" thick block of cut wood. Surprised as hell, from about 10 yards away the 545 would go clean thru it.

Never underestimate surplus rifle ammo's ability to penetrate. It is amazing what that stuff can do.

Welcome to the forum!
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby srtolly on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 am

Welcome from Waseca. I did the same thing with my first Mosin. Amazing isn't it.
Semper Fi
srtolly

Postby Anokamnman on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 am

A week ago I was splitting logs with my 45-70. That was a blast. Welcome to the forum.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
Need4Speed wrote:Pulled out a 10" thick block of cut wood. Surprised as hell, from about 10 yards away the 545 would go clean thru it.

Never underestimate surplus rifle ammo's ability to penetrate. It is amazing what that stuff can do.

Welcome to the forum!

yeah, that stuff is mostly steel core. aka Armor Peircing
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Sammichman on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 pm

welcome to the forums from South of the river
Sammichman

Postby Need4Speed on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:40 am

Anokamnman wrote:A week ago I was splitting logs with my 45-70. That was a blast. Welcome to the forum.

lol, I think a log splitter would be cheaper in the long run, but not nearly as fun. ;) Just my advice of course....I certainly am not going to start a pissing match on a forum where 9 out of 10 members have more firepower than the local Police departments. :D

I was also thinking about starting up a 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP thread. Has that topic been discussed?? :D
Need4Speed

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 am

Need4Speed wrote:I was also thinking about starting up a 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP thread. Has that topic been discussed?? :D

Nope. I think that would make for some good discussion...... While you're at it, you may want to start a Glock vs 1911 thread and a concealed vs open carry thread too..... I don't think anyone has touched on those either! :mrgreen:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Keith on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:48 am

rukwikenuf wrote:
Stradawhovious wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

yeah, that stuff is mostly steel core. aka Armor Peircing

If it's the Russian 7N6 5.45 surplus stuff it's also corrosive. (If the OP doesn't know that) The Saiga should have a chrome lined barrel but still........
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Pezhead on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
Need4Speed wrote:I was also thinking about starting up a 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45ACP thread. Has that topic been discussed?? :D

Nope. I think that would make for some good discussion...... While you're at it, you may want to start a Glock vs 1911 thread and a concealed vs open carry thread too..... I don't think anyone has touched on those either! :mrgreen:

One of those topics won me a box of ammo on another forum.
I just worded it differently. :D
Pezhead

Return to General Gun Chat